main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    IU holographic maps aren't unusual -- we even see one in AOTC. I think there's a general sense that stars have different Z-coordinates. It's just not all that worth it to put it onto paper, as Jason notes.

The old NJO maps make me laugh. That tiny little "Empire" in the corner -- lol forever.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Kashuula Korulanlaa Jedi Master star 2

Jan 18, 2016
    well i compared the map of the new forthcoming atlas to the galaxy map in the essential atlas and here are the results

[​IMG]
    and here is the unaltered new galaxy map from the new atlas
    [​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee and podjazd like this.
  3. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Huh, so the new TFA RPG includes a galaxy map and... it's recanonized quite a few significant Legends worlds. Csilla! Mimban! The Centrality and Tund! Kriffing Byss!

4. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    I wouldn't get too excited until a Lucasfilm employee officially says they're canon. FFG RPGs have this weird Limbo status where they're mostly legends, but then sometimes mention stuff from New Canon like Lothal or the Jedi Temple being made into the Imperial Palace.

Not to rag on Wookieepedia (I visit it often after all) but this may be some editors jumping the gun and declaring them canon just because they want to see some of their favorite planets recanonized. (Even in http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Star_Wars:_The_Force_Awakens_Beginner_Game][/url] the talk page where it discusses its canonocity a user says "I doubt we'll ever be 100% certain")

Besides, from what I've seen online that map has Korriban (when the new TFA Visual Dictionary map calls it Moraband) and the Hapes Consortium. Yet I don't see Korriban or Hapes being added to the Canon section of Wookieepedia.

5. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Korriban is just the old name, though. I think someone said even Leland Chee commented on it.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I wouldn't read too much into these maps, but there's no reason Korriban and Moraband can't be different names for the same planet (which was also known as Pesagam in Legends).

7. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    It's also meant to be a standalone RPG. I think that's the justification they're using. Plus, Chee saying something about using the map as-is for future references. Just because you have a name for a place, doesn't mean every EU event that happened there, happens in canon.

8. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    My point about the Moraband/Korriban thing is that all the New Canon sources list it as Moraband. The starwars.com Databank? The Clone Wars cartoon? The map in The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary? That preview map from the upcoming Galactic Atlas? All say Moraband. And while Lucasfilm says "A planet that old could have had multiple names" we have yet to have a canon source list Korriban as one of its alternative names. For them to go back to using Korriban would be weird.

Look, I'd love to be proven wrong and have all these planets brought back into canon. But I highly doubt it. Aside from the addition of planets from TFA (and the removal of Zonama Sekot) it appears to be the exact same map FFG has used in its Legends games. The use of Korriban instead of Moraband, not including prominent New Canon planets like Lothal or Jelucan, all state to me that the makers were less concerned about adhering to the New Canon and more with making an RPG resource. Which is fine, but I'll be skeptical of the canonocity until a Lucasfilm official pops in to confirm the status of the TFA Beginner Game, or some authors use Csilla, Byss, ect. in New Canon works.

Gamiel and darklordoftech like this.
  9. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    Even so, given that this is specifically a TFA tie-in game it sure seems like it'd be canon. Anyone have a scan of the full map by the way?

10. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    I haven't found any scans, but earlier in the thread someone ( I believe it was podjazd on page 197) posted a youtube video that shows it at 15:30

Hamburger_Time likes this.
  11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The status of the FFG RPG has been officially... nothing, really. I think it's probably because they made a big deal about their 'everything is canon going forward', to the point of arbitrarily moving some final Legends novels to the NEU... but they were left with two glaring exceptions, the MMO and the RPG.
    I'd take the status of MMO to be the probable same status - that it's considered its 'own thing', but that Storygroup will never acknowledge it. While they might draw from the RPG (although I'm unaware of it happening), they won't consider it 'canon' with respect to the NEU.

Other FFG books indicate both the Korriban and Moraband name... although, keep in mind, that it's somewhat a moot point since technically Legends counts the broadcast episodes of CWAS as part of their universe too.

12. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
  13. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Interesting, glad to see Jedha placed. There seems to be a trend to placing more and more worlds on the edge of Wild Space. Both Jakku and Jedha are technically "Inner Rim", but in reality the much less populated and urbanized Western Reaches portion. I didn't see any other new placements on the map, but I'm definitely digging it!

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth and darklordoftech like this.
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

I wonder if that's intentional, since the Empire has a secret interest in those places: Jedha, Jakku and Lothal (an Outer Rim world, if I remember correctly). It would be easier to keep things more secret from the general population of the Empire than if it was closer to the Core.

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, in relation to Jedha and Jakku, Lothal is on the opposite side of the galaxy, near Mon Cala. However, your point is valid, as most of the nefarious, secret stuff the Empire did was kept as far from the Core Worlds as possible.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Scarif is also located on the edge of the Unknown Regions.

--Adm. Nick

16. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Jan 18, 2016
    i made some new maps
    [​IMG]
    the vong galaxy
    [​IMG]
    the friefist galaxy
    [​IMG]
    the utegetu nebula
    [​IMG]

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  18. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Jan 18, 2016
    thank you very much

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Is that... a sundial with a lightsaber as the gnomon in the bottom right? You know that thing, "Bad Gift Ideas"...? (yes I know this is entirely beside the point, but still.)

Back on point: One of Zahn's great obsessions was the Unknown Regions in his old books. I wonder how much all these new "Western Reaches" planets will be retconned into his old ideas in the upcoming Thrawn novel? There could even have been an "Outbound Flight"... which had something to do with Starkiller Base, Jedha, etc. Hmmm.

20. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    No, there's plenty of glowing energy sources in the SW films.
    Given Jedha is an ancient world that's been known to many cultures in the galaxy, I doubt it. They're finally filling out the West part of the map with known worlds.

21. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    And all of those new Western Reaches (and Unknown Region) planets play a part in ancient Jedi/Sith history. Jedha was the birthplace of one of the oldest force-using civilizations, on Ahch-To is the First Jedi Temple, and the Jedi and Sith fought battles on both Jakku and Takodana a thousand years ago.

I don't know if they will play a role in the upcoming Thrawn novel, but I suspect that the new canon will delve deeper into the Old Republic era once the ST is finished.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do you base the position of the planets on?

23. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    So when is the Galactic Atlas releasing? Is it on Amazon? Searching for it yields mixed results saying "no longer available" or an upcoming book titled differently.

24. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Jan 18, 2016
    the essential atlas (page 194)
    Tof i guessed that it is farther than the Faruun and Maccabree
    the planet profile of Nagai say the planet is on a dense star cluster on the edge of the firefist galaxy

Gamiel likes this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Amazon UK says Nov 3 2016.

Sinrebirth likes this.