main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    This is exactly why. Develop what is there with some interesting details.

Dr. Steve Brule and JediBatman like this.
  2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I'd rather authors create new planets than overuse existing planets or write contradictory information about them. The authors who are best equipped to navigate existing information to both put underused worlds to use, and to avoid overlooking obscure details that their writing might contradict, ALREADY use existing worlds extensively in their works. There's no need for a rule.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd prefer all stories were set in the Core Worlds from now on.

...what? :p

4. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

I was glad about the rewrite of Kessel to be honest. It made better sense in my head that the planet be mildly more interesting then a dying near-airless potato rock in space.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The best Kessel is still Sevarcos.

JoinTheSchwarz and jSarek like this.
  6. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    My opinion of Kessel's improvement to full-on planet with a royal family who exploits slave labor in their Spice Mines also corresponds to the line about Kesselian blockade runners in the ROTJ novelisation. They had to come from somewhere and Kessel just being a lifeless rock with little more then prisoners and slaves was completely boring and the only other major world in the sector appeared to be Honoghr in Legends.

With this new Kessel, the idea of a rebel cell fighting against the Royal Family's exploitation and the Empire's control of their world using blockade runners and/or small craft (headcanon: led by an royal family exile wishing to change the system) is much clearer.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Little Kessel. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth Zack likes this.
  8. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

You're the one who is trying to reconcile canon and legends into one canon. Up to you. I have my own headcanon (S2 Barriss = real, S5 Barriss = impostor).

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    S5 Barriss gets redeemed and sent to Felucia and caught in Order 66, to be fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    The near-airless potato rock in space WAS a rewrite. Give me giant fungi forests and over that any day

Though I gotta agree with Vthuil - the spice planet Sevarcos was originally going to be Kessel, and it does feels more like a pulpy spice-producing world than either Anderson's potato or the the fungal world of Manning.

11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I don't want overuse of planets....Tattooine is the perfect example of overuse. But they can use existing planets and flesh them out. I used to get a lot of the old WEG RPG material and they would do a good job of that. Go to the Tramp Freighters book that gave us the Minos Cluster and developed a several planets. That is the kind of development I want for every planet we get.

In the same vein...Jelucan in Lost Stars was really not that well fleshed out and I am left with questions that could have been easily answered with a few simple words added such as what exactly is being mined. Simply adding that the Second Wave came in after Lommite or Zersium or Carvanium that are all used to produce Durasteel. Identifying it would add to the story as to why the Empire is pretty much stripmining the planet.

JediBatman and Gamiel like this.
  12. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Or Kessel Minor.

13. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Agreed, although I didn't really mind that we didn't learn what exact metal was being mind on Jelucan, I think the focus on the history and difference between the 1st wave exiles and 2nd wave miners was enough. It's more fleshing out than some entire species get (all Trandoshans are bounty hunters don't you know). Even just a little world building can go a long way, it's probably why I remember the name of Jelucan but I don't remember the name of Jungle Planet #49368-B where Thane met Wedge.

14. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    But that's RPG material, which has different considerations and requirements than narrative works like novels and comics. Don't get me wrong - I personally *prefer* reading RPG material to narrative material, and own three shelf-feet of well-worn WEG books to attest to that fact (my copy of Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters is so well worn I'm afraid to open it these days for fear it will be the binding's last straw).

Not every author is as interested in the same details as we are, and it would be a really petty thing for their editors to insist on such details when most of their readership, likewise, aren't worried about them. The place for things like that, if it's not in the author's nature to include them on their own, is in source materials.

Little Kessel has the advantage of already existing.

15. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
  16. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Hmm. In the Facebook comments someone asks where
    Mustafar
    is, and the author (Mark Newbold) says the article was written before the identity of that planet was confirmed. Makes me wonder how involved the Storygroup was. Am I right in assuming that while the R1 planet placements are canon, the other Atlas planets shown (such as Honoghr) are not necessarily canon?

17. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
    Pablo has said multiple times that Story Group doesn't review these type of freelancer starwars.com articles. However, in the case of the map he wrote this just today:

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/826612646967439362

18. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Not necessarily, no, but it's a really good bet.

EDIT: And I see I was ninja'd with further evidence from today.

Tzizvvt78 and JediBatman like this.
  19. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    I love the idea of Pablo denying the fixed location of a moving planet, as though that won't make everyone theorise that Zonama Sekot is still at large in a different spot. Come to think of it, Snoke is also mobile. IDENTITY CONFIRMED!!! ]-}

jSarek, Vthuil, DoubleSith and 4 others like this.
  20. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Well, that makes it much easier to add canon tags to planets and systems. :D

21. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Kashuula Korulanlaa Jedi Master star 2

Jan 18, 2016
    since the new episodes of SWR are showing maps of the Lothal Sector, I am currently working on a map of it (TEA style) I will try to publish it when season 3 ends.
    I also have done these sectors, they just need to be scanned
    The Sluis Sector
    The Kuat Sector
    The Perlemian Trade Route from Coruscant to Ralltiir
    I have started a few more
    The Raioballo sector
    Kathol sector
    and more...

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I heard Zahn talk in 2015, and he mentioned that this is exactly what he likes to do. He specifically said this was why he chose Wukkar for Scoundrels - it was a pre-existing planet, but was basically nothing but a few name drops, so it would cement the setting as a world that already existed, but was one he could expand upon in any way he wanted to.

JediBatman and jSarek like this.
  23. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Kashuula Korulanlaa Jedi Master star 2

Jan 18, 2016
    Zahn he could do some of the planets in his Thrawn Novels, the ones that are under Chiss rule like Crustai or Csilla

JediBatman likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's always nice to see things from the DESB show up.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

jSarek and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  25. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Have any systems or sectors been "moved"?