main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There's a lot of neutral states there - like Mandalorian Space, the Tion Cluster, and the Corporate Sector; and just plain empty areas, like the old Sith worlds, or the Radama Void. Also, I've always suspected that there was a strong legacy Confederacy element that hated the Empire but didn't really think much of the Republic either, whether New or Old; the area near the Tion Cluster was (IIRC), "The Forge", one of the hearts of the CIS in the Clone Wars.

2. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    One of the things I hope Rebels does before it ends is explain how and why Mandalore doesn't fully throw in with the Rebellion. The Bo-Katan/Clan Wren/House Visla faction is clearly getting a lot of support from the Alliance, and look to be winning the war for Mandalore. If Lucas was still in charge, I'd half expect to see the Empire BDZ the planet, but I don't see Filoni ending that many plot possibilities through genocide. Still, Mandalore needs some kind of explanation as to what it was up to during the GCW and hopefully in the Sequel era.

3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    It's a new canon, they might for all we know. Commander has Rebel Fang fighters donated from Mandalore.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    TheRedBlade likes this.
  4. Elite_Guard

Elite_Guard Jedi Master star 2

Oct 7, 2001
    I've continued this list up to 'H' - http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=34537480248973784243

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Bumping!

Call me crazy... but I have a sneaking suspicion that the novelization for TLJ might have some very interesting and relevant cartographic information... [face_thinking]

--Adm. Nick

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Don’t make me hurt you for being a shameless tease, Admiral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PCCViking and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I'm just saying... Jason did tease on Twitter that the State of the New Republic and Fleet Junkie stuff is in the novelization, so cartographic stuff isn't that much of a stretch based on those two points. ;)

--Adm. Nic

Sinrebirth likes this.
  8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yeah, don't be too much of a tease. Next thing you know, I'm gonna start hoping there's a map in the book (like in the New Jedi Order novels), which is certainly not he case. :-(

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *narrows his eyes, and peers into the Mom Cal’s moist soul*

We’ll see, Admiral Nick.

We.

Shall.

See.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So, you are saying that Jason being a shameless tease, justify you being a shameless tease?

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Yes, obviously. :p

--Adm. Nick

Sinrebirth and PCCViking like this.
  12. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    It would be great if they could bring that back!

13. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    When it comes to maps I really just want a poster sized version of the one in The Essential Atlas....updated every few years with any planets that come into existence.

14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    A digital map poster which updates itself.

PCCViking, blackmyron and AV-6R7 like this.
  15. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I really wish the interactive online map they previewed at Celebration VI (IIRC) hadn't gotten sidelined by the Lucasfilm buyout and subsequent realignment of priorities. It looked fantastic.

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    What!? What is this divine sounding creation?

17. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Exactly what it sounds like. Imagine Modi's big galactic overview map from The Essential Atlas, only you could zoom in on some area, and more planets and features would pop up to fill out the map at that resolution. It looked like it was going to be ... well, divine ain't too far off.

Daneira and LelalMekha like this.
  18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    What the flip. I want it.

I saw the globe that projected Modi’s old map, but yeah.

jSarek likes this.
  19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    But watch out for Jedi Masters who want to "edit" said map, or the librarian will claim that if it doesn't appear on the map it doesn't exist. :D

Sinrebirth likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Here: http://www.swgalaxymap.com/

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Trust me, that's not even close to what the LFL folks showed us at Celebration.

Daneira, Tzizvvt78 and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I’d love to say that this is the first time I’ve encountered unrequited love, but it’s definitely the most strongest I have!

@jasonfry, you and I are going to have words about this if we ever meet. Strong words. Probably followed by an embarrassing amount of begging on my part.

23. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    GoogleGalaxy

jSarek likes this.
  24. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I know there hasn't been an Atlas appendix update for a while, but I'm still keeping tabs for the day that changes.
    Thought folks might be interested to know my count is 571 new systems between new canon, FFG, and the usual dribble of newly discovered oversights.
    The galaxy keeps growing!

25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Out of curiosity, how do you approach stuff like FFG? It's not canon, but still logged as a potential world for future use?

Also- I don't recall if I've asked you this over the years, but how do you approach placing worlds that have zero indication of what region they are from? Have you ever just looked at a relatively empty corner of the map and said "What the hell, I'll sprinkle a few dozen systems here." :p

--Adm. Nick