main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I don't know exactly how LFL treats FFG material, but no reason FFG star systems can't be included in the appendix, and FFG folks have helped me catalog their contributions. The inaugural Atlas appendix included star systems from things that were "quasi-canonical" parts of the EU, such as old Polyhedron and Dragon articles for the WEG systems. Basically, the rule we went with then was "the planet exists even if the events might or might not have happened." Same philosophy works here.

Yeah, sometimes you just sprinkle. And sometimes Dan and I used that for suggesting stories: there are a lot of GCW battlefields around Virgillia to suggest a long-running rebel conflict, CW battlegrounds around the "foundry of the Confederacy" near Metalorn, etc.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Tzizvvt78, AV-6R7, blackmyron and 3 others like this.
  2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I loved how you did a similar thing when mapping out Mon Cala space and their surrounding region. Placing New Alderaan, Telaris, Hast, Sanctuary, Dornea, in close proximity makes a lot of sense.

Also- what are your thoughts on the Lothal Sector? I'm assuming a subsector of the Dominus Sector? Or something entirely separate?

--Adm. Nick

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  3. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Question: I assume you guys discussed this when it came out originally, but I'm late to (returning to) the game here - but the TOS article about the worlds of the Force Awakens mentions... Zonama Sekot? I mean, I realize there's no context for the reference, but is the appearance of the name officially canon?

4. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Hmmmm . . . I'd guess it's an oversight.

The TFA Beginner's Game for the SW roleplaying game includes a map. It's identical to the Legends maps they had in their Core Rulebooks, with two exceptions: It includes the planets from TFA, and Zonoma Sekot isn't on the map.

Now Fantasy Flight Games products are in a Canon grey area, but I think it's still relevant.

5. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I know this has been asked before (and I'm sure I've been one of those to ask haha) but have we ever gotten a definitive answer about Starkiller Base = Ilum?
    I think it would be cool if we got a novel (Star Wars: Starkiller Base) that showed the change over time.

Dr. Steve Brule and SheaHublin like this.
  6. cartographer

cartographer Jedi Master star 1

Jan 2, 2003
    Have been avoiding spoilers, but I can't wait to find out what planets are in Solo and where they fall on the map. Less than a week!

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    blackmyron and jSarek like this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Starkiller so far is Ilum in everything but name, it's the same diameter as Ilum, snow covered and full of Kyber crystals

LucasFilm is still not saying yes or no..

8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    So, apparently,
    the Vandor-1 from Solo is a *frontier* world, and thus not at all in the Core Worlds (the Legends version was in the Coruscant system). Not sure why they chose a name from Legends only to place it in a different region. Not that it matters much, but it's still a little weird.

9. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Rodia got moved across the border to the Outer Rim from the Mid Rim.

10. ToilesHeroiques

ToilesHeroiques Jedi Master

Apr 28, 2010
    And we have a completely new planet, Numidian Prime, in the Inner Rim ... It's the only one. Perhaps a clue for Star Wars Resistance, Star Wars: Episode IX or Kenobi: A Star Wars Story.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Probably just to troll the kind of SW fans that take that kind of things to serious

12. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Did I miss something? Where are people getting this info? Did a cross section book leak or did they post a map on starwars.com or something?

13. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    People are seeing the movie overseas. I presume the details in question are made apparent from context.

JediBatman likes this.
  14. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    There is a map floating out there

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Eh, even back in the day of being a vry srs person about that sort of thing I'd just think it was lazy writing. I mean, that was pretty much a regular occurence in the Clone Wars cartoon.
    Besides, the US is lousy with towns with same name. I figure a galaxy with millions of systems is going to have repetition.

Daneira and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  16. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Exactly. It's probably a forgotten mythological or historical figure that has a bunch of cities/planets/asteroids/holo-greeting cards named after him/her/them.

TC

17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Unless I'm mistaken, the movie also changes the location of Savareen, as well.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Something that's been recently pointed out - while Legends and Newcanon reference works call Kamino extragalactic, onscreen Jocasta appears to be zooming in on the main disc as Obi-Wan's talking

[​IMG]

though she's not zooming in on the spot Obi-Wan's actually pointing at.

Should this be regarded as a blooper?

MrDarth0 and Gamiel like this.
  19. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    It's above the disk, between it and the Rishi Maze, a satellite galaxy. So it technically IS extragalactic.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. Only 12 parsecs away from it, at that - the Maze looks to be a few thousand parsecs above the galactic plane.

The question is - was the EU doing this, a mistake (based on Lucas intention)? Should it have been in the disc, like in that Jocasta zoom-in shot? Or was that a blooper, and the spot Obi-Wan is pointing to, a more accurate measure?

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  21. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    So are the two satellite galaxies we can see on Obi-Wan's screen part of the GFFA? Or more specifically, is the hyperdrive technology capable of reaching those satellite galaxies? Are they part of the GFFA culture? Are they part of the Republic or the Empire? Is there regular contact between them and the main galaxy? Etc. etc.

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is it possible that Thape is the homeworld of Yoda's species?

23. JediBatman

May 3, 2015
    Companion Aurek (aka the Rishi Maze) is reachable by hyperspace, as we know Rishi is a stopping point on the route there. But as far as I know that's all the info we have about it. Companion Besh (aka Firefist) is the home of the Nagai and Tofs from the 70's Marvel comics. According to Wookieepedia there are 5 other satelite galaxies that we don't see.

Knave1 and MrDarth0 like this.
  24. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Well, the PT introduced us to the InterGalactic Banking Clan. I assume that entity operates on them.

Ventrix, MrDarth0 and Iron_lord like this.
  25. LBT-00

LBT-00 Jedi Knight

Jan 7, 2016
    Based on Jedha being part of a sector and under Imperial control, it seems safe to say The Empire's borders in Canon stretch further than the Sector maps (originally from Legends) seem to suggest. [face_thinking]