main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Atlas and Galactic Cartography: Official Discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Oct 14, 2005.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    lets start it before Lucasfilm does it! hehe then they hire us, we get our LFL-implant and are happily spoiled before anybody else is.

2. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I've always suspected that's how LFL guys meet LFL chicks.

"Hey, nice implants!"

:p [face_beatup]

But seriously, such a map would be a good idea. I would prefer an official one, though, cause then it would be canon.

:)

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Public holocron . . . ooooooh=P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

I would be all over that.[face_dancing]

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Yes, I know. [face_mischief]

I've been thinking of this concept on and off for a couple of years. It would feature about five key points:

1) Unique interactive structure - the Holocron could have two (or maybe more) modes: encyclopedia (alphabetical list) and freeform (where you type in a question to the "Gatekeeper" and it finds entries like a search engine) In addition, while viewing entries, the "Gatekeeper" would make comments about that particular entry (Kyle: "Railguns? I've had some experiences with those. *Heh* So have some of the stormtroopers I've met.")

2) New and updated content - know the name of the Aqualish biker in Big Gizz's gang in the SotE comic? You would after this. Every single background character, ship, and creature, even the unnamed ones, would get an entry, though some would be necessarily small.

3) Artwork - the Holocron would include completely original art, and reference galleries for all entries. Also, certain entries (like ships, weapons, etc.) could be fully-rotatable and have schematics.

4) Maps - as mentioned above, the Holocron would have a complete set of galactic maps, including sector and system maps for well-known areas. Travel routes and times could be mapped out using "Navicomp" feature.

5) Timeline - think of it as the NEC + TimeTales + so much more! Every little reference would be fleshed out, and major events would be given write-ups. Battles would have strategic maps and troop movements, birthdays would be compiled, and historical tidbits would be added.

=P~

5. Charlii

Charlii Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2005
    ...And of course it would be made for continous online updates, via monthly subscription or
    pay-per-package for larger compiliations of related material. These updates would both cover
    new material and go back to fill the gaps that didn't have time to be covered in the first
    edition.

/Charlii

6. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Yes! Good idea!

:)

This is probably all a fanboy dream, but we can hope, can't we?

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No, no, no -- don't be silly. You don't have to pay for updates -- this is supposed to be the fanboy dream, right? If we're going to imagine it, we might as well imagine it right.;)

8. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    why dream? we only need to join the biggest fan projects! timelines, wookieepedia, navcomp and others... lets do it ourselves!

9. modi

modi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2004
    Galaxy map from Empire at War:
    [image=http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/3403/nvtelen2ns.jpg]
    It shows that Aeten II is near Wayland, but the Wookipedia says it's near the Karthakk Sector. o_O

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I love the Wookipedia, but sometimes I wish they'd have detailed references to information like that.

I tend to be so conservative about placement of worlds that I didn't even assume Rendili was in the Core Worlds until the NEC came out...

11. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    The reasoning for putting Aeten II near Karthakk Sector:

NEChr states
    1) Aeten II is in Dreighton Nebula
    2) Maramere (Karthakk system) is used as a TFed repository for stygium crystals from Aeten II

I assumed this meant the planets were neighbors, but that is not NECESARRILY true

I will have to examine the EAWar map more closely to determine if it is reliable

12. modi

modi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2004
    I updated it and it has got an exact coordinate system now, based on the coordinates of Coruscant/Annaj/Kiribi and the headings from Tasty's blog. It is very big: 2350x2250 pixels, 1 MiB ( the original PSD file is 15 MiB ):
    [image=http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/5210/gmapnew3pt.jpg]
    inserts with index:
    [image=http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/3463/gmapmini1vo.jpg]

13. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

Modi, you ROCK! great! this is the best I´ve ever seen! make this an interactive flashmap and add a 3D or 2D sideview and every wish is fulfilled!

You recieve my first ever released Cartography Award 1st Class

14. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    so why do you and Carty place Tirahnn where you do instead of Mid Rim, Modi?

15. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Everyone in this thread rocks.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ::leaps back into the thread::

Why thanks, Dan!

*cough*

So I read that Cart is letting the Wookieepedia (we really need an abbreviation for that) use his maps, but I can't figure out where they actually are on there. Can someone toss me a link?

17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    thx Dan ;) we´d love to hear your words on our ideas, placements etc.

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Hey guys. :)

I am starting a project that shows the galaxy in terms of allegiance to various galactic governments. I would love to make this project a group effort that has numerous people all lending a hand. I have decided to start with the galaxy at the time of the Thrawn Crisis, since by that point the galaxy seemed to have fairly clear borders between the Empire and the New Republic.

Here is the link: http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/22175464/p1/?21

If anyone is interested in lending a hand, stop on by. Right now we are in the early stages, making lists of known NR and Imperial worlds. Once the list is large enough, the coloring can begin. :)

--Adm. Nick

19. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    and i still want to know WHERE on the Rimma Skor II is! The Rimma is already crowded;)

And I love bunnies!

20. Rogue_Follower

Nov 12, 2003
    Bunnies, you say? I made an Essential Rabbitology post over in the Kyle Katarn thread...

[face_thinking]

21. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    yes, I read that, and you know I was thinking of it while typing my post above.

I vote Max as a Squib. He's too bipedal and short-tailed for a Kushiban, too white and short for Lepi.

Squibs, on the other hand, vary in fur color and are short. They can be quite violent (reference tearing up Kitster's house in Tatooine Ghost). I think he should be a Squib!

also, Modi: haha! your Dufilvian/Abrion fix. It looks so forced, but I had to do the SAME thing on my at-home map to fix Ord Pardron;)

22. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    modi: that is awesome... :D :D :cool:

Two questions:
    1.) What's this I've missed at Tasty's blog? [face_frustrated] :confused:
    2.) Do you have a rationale for your placement of Yavin and Ord Mantell, which seems rather different than the old Behind the Magic map which I was hoping to use as a foundation for precise-scaling stuff...? [face_thinking] :)

Thanks!

- The Imperial Ewok

23. Senator_Cilghal

Jul 19, 2003
    also why do you, modi, and carty place taboon so far from Ambria, in a different region?

24. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Am I the only one thinking weird things when hearing "Taboon"? this world may be the source of all weirdness in star wars. or does the name not relate to their morals? *coughcough* :p

25. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Okay... I'd been threatening to do this... but I took the Behind the Magic and Coruscant and the Core Worlds maps, and kinda wedgied them together... [face_blush] [face_whistling]

Why? Because the BtM map is, to my knowledge, the only unambiguous plan-view map of the whole Galaxy, and thus the only one that might be a scalable map of the disk... if I'm wrong here, correct me!!

Then, if you take the three stars/worlds/systems that BtM shares with the CCW map, you find they tie up very nicely (the matchup isn't quite exact, but when you adjust the scale and rotation, the CCW symbols do fit within the relatively larger BtM symbols :p). You can thus map stretches of the main trade-routes, and several more of the major Core Worlds, onto the BtM map... and Denon can be thrown in for fun at the appropriate hyperlane intersection.

Now the next trick is that we know Brentaal is within Imperial Center Oversector, and thus within 5,000 ly of Coruscant. This allows us to get a minimal scaling - the distance from Cour. to Brentaal is no more than 5,000 ly (and probably actually quite a lot less!)...

So I hereby - with much nervousness - present you all with my first working version for discussion and dismantling: here (300kb JPEG file).

The method I've used to assemble this is far from perfect (horrible hand-drawn hyperlanes! [face_laugh]), but if (and that's a huge if!!) all the planets are correctly placed on the base maps, it should be accurate to within a handful of lightyears- hopefully a few dozen at most...

The circles, arranged around the implied Galactic Center Point of the CCW map, are the inferred minimums for radii of 10, 20, 40 and 60 thousand lightyears - the outermost circle is thus the minimum distance for the edge of a 120,000 ly diameter Galactic disk; in reality, it's probably significantly bigger - a vague maximum would be about twice the diameter!

Things to observe:

1.) The relative positions of Ord Mantell and Yavin are quite different than you'd expect from the usual "slanted" maps.
    2.) I got Bespin and Hoth the wrong way round when I was pegging names on the map. But, somewhat scarily, if you map the Greater Javin map to this one, the handful of sectors it covers sprawl over almost the entire space between Endor, Dagobah and the Core. Urk!! I'm going to look at this some more right away, and see what I can do. because it has a lovely length of hyperlane, and it does cover almost the entire Outer Rim in that area of space...
    3.) This could all be a total waste of time based on maps that aren't "really" precisely scaled in the first place; it is after all a made-up Galaxy... :p

Have fun, and, if you can be bothered, put me right where and when I'm wrong!! :D

- The Imperial Ewok