main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Essential Guide to Warfare by Jason Fry and a pseudonymous Scotsman

Discussion in 'Literature' started by whateveritis12, May 17, 2010.

1. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    :D

2. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Oh yah... sounds great. Can't wait. :D

3. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Great to see Fry get his own EG (not that I don't like Wallace, of course).

I'm really digging the new direction of the EGs, as well. They're as good reads as most of the best narrative novels.

Now... Chris Trevas artwork please. [face_praying]

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Sweeeet.

Here's hoping Fry understands what an actual military ORBAT looks like, instead of simply multiplying by 9 over and over...

5. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    This is definitely a must-get, as my curiosity about warfare far exceeds my knowledge in that area. :D

6. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Can we hope for info on Gamma Base? Or Death Star III? [face_praying] [face_mischief]

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    This should be all kinds of awesome.:D

So do we have a chance at taking a look at the Military of the Imperial Remnant in a bit more detail here Jason? :D Maybe a detailed look at Pellaeon's push out past Orinda in 12 ABY and the subsequent battle that takes place there?[face_batting]

Even an expanded look at Bel Iblis vs Daala and an expanded look at how Pellaeon was then pushed back by Ackbar and Bel Iblis would be awesome as well.

This will be a must buy on my list for 2011.

8. DanikKreldin

DanikKreldin Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2007
    Mr. Fry, I love your previous work so I have very high hopes for this. Can't wait. The only thing I care about is that the old West End Games "Imperial Sourcebook" is remembered when writing this - that old sourcebook has the best information on the Imperial Military and I don't want to see it all retconned! :( That's all, please!

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Yay, glad to hear news about this one again! After the last author walked out, I was worried a bit, but now very happy to hear who the new author is. After his excellent work on the Atlas, I'm hoping this Guide will also be very good. Now, the question is who will be illustrating this. Trevas is probably the first choice for most of us, but he can't do everything, can he? Well, it'd be nice if he could. But the best case is if this guide could give more details about all those battles we always wish we could see more of.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  10. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Nice to hear that Fry will be on the job for this new guide! [face_dancing]

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  11. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    This book already sounds like awesomeness!

So uh, anyone wanna start guessing on how the book will be structured, or what it'll contain? Stuff like Separate eras, picture galleries of different militaries, Orders of Battle, chronologies of obscure conflicts, maps, Galactic Records for battles/wars (ie, longest war ever, bloodiest battle, ext), boigraphies of famous commanders, an full-fledged Imperial Ranks and Insignia Guide(something long overdue, IMHO), ect.

Anyways, I think it would be a really good idea to go through all the various books, novels, comics, games, RPG material, reference works, online stuff, ect and start getting details down similar to the approach with Galactic cartography taken with the awesome-as-a-result-of-it Atlas, just so that we can give full meaning to the word Essential.Crowdsourcing this like the Atlas fact-checking and finding would be bound to be good. The obvious starting point would be: , but if there's anything that the months before the Atlas came revealed its that the devil's in the details.

12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    What about Daala's mysterious campaign against the Vong and the building of her own little fleet and loyalists as introduced in Revelation?

There's so many ideas that could be stuffed in this book I'm sure.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

14. Armchair_Admiral

May 31, 2005
    Bah, I want to learn more about the mysterious architects behind the Clone Wars.... architects like ATHA PRIME!!!!!!!! :eek:

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    And there was much rejoicing.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Dear Wotan, WHOOP!

*grins*

17. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Atha Prime, Mandator-class Star Dreadnaughts, Procurator and/or Praetor-class Star Battlecruisers (even if they're only pictured and not given big profiles, heck, just make new classes on top of those), All Terrain Heavy Enforcers, mention of Grand Generals besides Brashin...:D

Ugh, that book is so hopelessly outdated it's not even funny. If it's not WEG adding units to the Imperial roster after that book came out, it's Del Rey, Dorling Kindersley, WOTC, Dark Horse etc. There's over 20 years of new material that the ISB never had, nor could have predicted. We need an update.

18. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I don't think that the proposed consolidation with Shadowspawn would work anymore, but it would be wonderful to see the story from The Epic Continues brought into canon as one of the New Republic campaigns of 5 ABY, prior to Mindor. The only thing they would need to change, really, is the resurgent Wilhuff Tarkin... who could easily be retconned into being a Flim-style impersonator. Hell, make it Flim himself, since he hasn't had a gig outside of HOT. Also, it'd be great if someone could tie Prime to the genetics terrorist who attacked Skye during the Clone Wars.

Aaaand the Battle of Cadinth, which features an army of all the droids and vehicles stipulated to be in Prime's army.

That's just me, though. [face_blush]

19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Artwork I would love to see:
    Reaper destroying Endurance
    Bulwark and Victory Fleets showdown
    List of Grand Generals and Admirals (make up 11 more generals to match)
    Mandators/Mandator IIs
    New art of Kuat Drive Yards

Trevas must do this! :D

20. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Wooo! This is a good sight to see as I have been keeping an eye out for any further information on the progress on this Essential Guide. I think the name change is better with it being Warfare rather than military. I am assuming it will only cover the GR, CIS, GE and Rebel Alliance though I am hoping to see glimpses of the militaries of other races (Vong, Hapans, maybe some Chiss). If not though, I do hope we get to see some distinctive military units within each faction... like Lightning Squadron, Wraith Squadron etc etc along with some hopefully new units/squadrons/fleets.

21. Taral-DLOS

Taral-DLOS Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2009
    This is going to be made of win!

Do you suppose that Mr. Fry will do consultations on this forum again, like with the Atlas? It was so cool to not only follow the development but participate in it too.

We should try and market this thread as such.

22. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    [face_dancing] =D= [face_dancing]

Now this is awesome news. Jason, I have a list of about 20 NJO and LOTF starships that still don't have pictures. We need to whittle this list down. :p

--Adm. Nick

23. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Can't wait!! :D

24. Armchair_Admiral

May 31, 2005
    Personally, I never liked that name as an official rank (I frankly prefer Surface Marshall). But anywho, I'd like to know why Thrawn in the TIE Fighter game was wearing a Grand Admiral's uniform before he was officially a Grand Admiral. [face_peace]

25. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Surface Marshall is probably equivalent to a Fleet Admiral. The Grand Admirals/Generals are outside the normal rank structure, chosen and appointed by the Emperor personally.