Lit The Essential Guide to Warfare by Jason Fry and a pseudonymous Scotsman

Discussion in 'Literature' started by whateveritis12, May 17, 2010.

1. Tyber Jedi Grand Master

Yes! And let them hire Jeff Carlisle for the images of the crafts depicted. His images from the sourcebooks were always great and detailed.
  2. Plaristes Force Ghost

star 3
    It occurs to me that this would be the perfect source to try to finally retcon together all of the various "steal the Death Star plans" military operations for both of the Death Stars. I'd especially love to see Lethal Alliance reconciled with Soldier for the Empire, Han's participation in Empire at War made sense of, and the events on Gellefon in Polyhedron 86 included. And speaking of Empire at War, this book could also finally explain the Battle of Wayland.
  3. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    WOOT! Finally! AND we get Jason Fry to work on this. Finally, an LFL decision that makes sense. I cannot wait for this.

I would like to take the opportunity to second AdmiralNick's request for new depictions of NJO-LOTF era starships.
  4. Cronal Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe he was practicing and testing the uniform for his eventual promotion? :p "Hmmm, I'm only a Captain right now but I'm obviously going to be promoted soon so might as well try out the suit." :D
  5. Malachi108 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Already explained by The Awesome Atlas. Those were all various partial plans of the Death Star, that were only assembled into THE Death Star plans om Toprawa.
  6. Plaristes Force Ghost

star 3
    That retcon has been around for ages. I meant going into more specifics.
  7. FTeik Force Ghost

star 5
    The fleet-equivalent to a Surface Marshall would be the High Admiral. Both are the highest ranks within a sector-groups OoB, save for the Moff him/herself unless the ranks are merged in one person.

I have to say, that I'm cautiosly optimistic about this "EG to Warfare", however I don't think we need the umpteenth picture and description of an ISD or AT-AT. That is what "Weapons and Technology", "Vehicles" and "Starships" is for.

I would prefer it, if they started with an in-detail description of the systems employed, how they developed over time and how they (and their changes) influence strategies and tactics:

for ships

systems
    - reactors and fuel
    - hyperdrive
    - communications
    - sensors
    - beam-weapons
    - missile weapons
    - cloaking and electronic warfare
    - shields
    - the ships armour

tactics and strategies against
    - opponents of equal strenght (single capships, small fleets, large fleets)
    - destroy as well as capture missions
    - fortifications like space-stations and shielded planets
    - deployment and support of ground-troops

from there we can go to the Order of Battle (also accounting for augmentation of forces) on the
    - systems-level
    - sector-level (ship, line, force, fleet, sector-group)
    - oversector-level
    - galactic level

including shipyards and the logistical train

after that the training of personal and the rank-structure up to Grand Admiral

on the ground

systems
    - repulsors
    - walkers (why SW considers them to be a good idea)
    - wheeled or tracked vehicles

tactics and strategies
    - during assault
    - during garrison duty
    - role of tanks and artillery

Order of Battle for the Army (also accounting for the augmentation of forces)

after that the training of personal and the rank-structure up to Grand General

If after that there is still space left we can look at the equipment and a number of battles and campaigns to illustrate the dry theory from above.
  8. TheRedBlade Force Ghost

star 3
    First response: =D= [face_dancing]

Being that we're already naming requests:

1) A real breakdown of the art of war in the GFFA. How does one defend a planet or system when an enemy fleet can hyperspace in almost anywhere? How important are ground militaries in a galaxy where war is waged across sectors? How does warfare change when you have soldiers with super-powers (Jedi, Sith, etc) leading armies?

2) A breakdown of the different martial traditions of the galaxy, and how do they compare to each other? How is the average Dark Times Imperial officer different from a Remnant officer? Or a Hapan?

3)Orinda. Always more Orinda.
  9. Tzizvvt78 Force Ghost

star 4
    Ground militaries are essential to hold the actual ground you conquer. If they're not there, there's no stopping another invasion fleet from hyperspacing in and taking it back.

On the subject of military usefulness, what was the justification for the Worldcraft? Planetoid-sized space stations with hyperdrives. Could they be the end product of Sienar's original Expeditionary Battle Planetoid design?
  10. blackmyron Chosen One

star 5
    As far as military mysteries go, I would probably nominate the Cal-Seti disaster at the top of my list to hopefully be explained - something that caused Isard to think that the entire Black Sword Fleet was wiped out (and presumably some of the missing ships from the OOB had to have been there) but that the NR was apparently unaware had happened.
    On a related note, I would love to see an expansion of the "twelve fleet regions" from the Clone Wars, and see if Azure Hammer/Black Sword emerged from that.
  11. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm happy about this. I also agree with one of the earlier posts that they should draw on the WEG sourcebooks, specifically the Imperial Sourcebook, Rebel Alliance Sourcebook, Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook, and perhaps the Dark Empire Sourcebook for info about the military.
  12. jSarek VIP

VIP
    star 4
    I don't think we need perfect symmetry between the Grand Admirals and Grand Generals; the Army and Navy may be equal on paper, but as was quoted in the Imperial Sourcebook, "The Army has its organization. We in the Navy must content ourselves with the control of all known space."

He also wouldn't have to make up names; I'm sure there are enough casually-mentioned Generals out there that could be "revealed" to have been Grand Generals all along.

I think we already have that retcon, as briefly touched upon in the New Essential Guide to Characters; Thrawn had already received the secret promotion to GA mentioned in Dark Force Rising (which is why he has the rank in short stories set earlier in the war, as well), but outside of the forces directly assigned to him in Wild Space and the Unknown Regions, it was, well, a secret. When Zaarin went rogue, Palpatine had both an opening in the GA roster and a need to give Thrawn the authority to use all available resources to capture Zaarin. Thus, Thrawn got his official, on-the-books promotion that was seen in TIE Fighter.

EDIT:

It's Jason Fry we're talking about here. I think making sure the book draws upon WEG sourcebooks is like making sure the sun comes up tomorrow; while a worthwhile goal, I don't think it's one you need to worry too much about. ;-)
  13. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    I volunteer my services to Jason to gather and compile any and all data relating to the Galactic Alliance Defense Force. I will work for free.

You hear that, Jason? FREE! :p

--Adm. Nick
  14. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    Not much of a secret when he continually wears the uniform everywhere, though. :p
  15. TheRedBlade Force Ghost

star 3
    Just finished reading Bacta War (again), and it brought to mind some other issues I'd like to see addressed:

1) Imperial military defection to the New Republic after the liberation of Coruscant. How widely were ex-Imperials welcomed? Did any of them rise to flag rank or other positions where they had command authority over more traditional Rebels?

2)The growth of system and independent government militaries. In The Bacta War, the biggest threat Isard had to worry about was a squadron of X-Wings with some limited capital ship support. Despite the fact that she was responsible for a horrendous plague, no other government or force moved to oppose her. Fast-forward to the Hand of Thrawn books, and relative unknowns like the Diamala have enough military might challenge the New Republic's authority. In fact, "local" forces (those not belonging to formally organized NR fleets) are able to quickly and completely outnumber the ships that the NR sends to police the Bothan situation. We know politically why this happened, but we don't know the how. Where did these ships come from? Where did all these systems find competent officers and crews in such a short time span?
  16. Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji

VIP
    star 4
    I would much rather Brashin be a one-off or some sort of exceptional title. Cranking out another 11 just cheapens the whole mystique of the Grand Admiralty, IMHO. (The same thing happened with the Emperor's Hands--15 at last count--to the point where now it seems like Palpy just handed them out as door prizes.) And 19 years after HTTE is way too late to try to introduce yet another ultra-elite branch of the Imperial military if we want it to be equivalent to Grand Admiral and somehow "there all along."

In other news: w000t! [face_dancing]
  17. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, about the Emperor's Hands-Thrawn sure didn't seem to regard Mara as anything special in TTT. Remember "Stop, or Rukh will have to hurt you."? That's not exactly how to talk to somebody if you respect their former position. :p
  18. Xicer Jedi Master

star 4
    I only count 14 Hands as of now, though that's still quite a lot. :p
  19. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah, that reminds me: Palpatine mentions at the end of TIE Fighter Battle Ten that the twelve Grand Admirals command all Imperial forces. This would mean that the Grand Admirals can boss around ground-based units too.
  20. Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji

VIP
    star 4
    Looks like I was counting Tremayne, who according to the Wooki is only "rumored." Not sure of that one so we'll go with 14 1/2. :p

Granted, but Thrawn didn't think much of Palpy's other servants, period. He didn't even seem to take Vader that seriously, which was made clear early on.

The other thing is that the likelihood of Mara being able to remain unaware of all the other Hands goes down each time a new one is added. But that's a problem for another thread.
  21. Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji

VIP
    star 4
    Well there you go. [face_peace] The EU has made it pretty clear that ground units are subordinate to space ones--the troops are treated as resources adjunct to Navy activity rather than the Navy as a transport system for ground units.
  22. blackmyron Chosen One

star 5
    Tremayne's possible Hand-ness was mentioned in Galaxy Guide 9.

Speaking of the power and influence of the Grand Admirals, we really haven't had a good glimpse on how devastating Zaarin's rebellion must've had on the Empire outside of TIE Fighter. (I also have to wonder if there were surviving ships from his rogue fleet - there certainly were at least a few SDs that were never accounted for - and if they ended up with a warlord-dom AE).
  23. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd like to think that the remnants of Zaarin's forces stumbled upon the "dark worlds" ruled by Atha Prime somewhere in the Unknown Regions, and thus became part of his own forces. [face_whistling]
  24. Tzizvvt78 Force Ghost

star 4
    With millions or even billions of Imperial officers in the galaxy, 12 or more Grand Generals will hardly be considered "cheapening" any title (not to mention just over a dozen Hands). And I do not like the idea of retconning existing characters into being Grand Generals, enough with the minimalism.
  25. Armchair_Admiral Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't think that's a bad idea really: perhaps "Grand General" is merely the official term for any army and stormtrooper officer who has been granted Warlord status by Emperor Palpatine, and so answers to the Emperor and his advisors instead of the normal military chain of command (we see this occur in the TIE Fighter Strategy Guide when "Vice Admiral" Thrawn recieves his instructions to pacify the Pakuuni System from one of these advisors). It would explain why "Captain" Ozzik Sturn from TFU is running around with a white uniform and the rank badge of a higher-ranking officer, and there is a possibility that Lord Tion could fall under the technical category of "Grand General" too.