main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Essential Reader's Companion by Pablo Hidalgo.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , May 17, 2010.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    From Sue's blog:

"August 30, 2011 - Star Wars: The Essential Reader's Companion by Pablo Hidalgo. Trade paperback. A super guide to the novels, short stories, e-books, etc. With new illustrations of characters you've only read about. This will be organized chronologically according to in-universe dates and written out-of-universe so that it won't be like the Essential Chronology but more like a non-fiction guide to fiction, with side-bars calling out related comics and events."

Do I hear Cal Omas fans crying for joy? :D blog

EDIT: Whoops, whateveritis12 beat me to it.

2. Thedude3445

Thedude3445 Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2010
    How different will this actually be to the Chronology, though? But whatever, this sounds like a much better concept. Especially if we get to see Cal Omas (Who I keep visualizing as Roan Fel now for some reason), or a newer drawing of Castilla.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You guys are karking fast with the double threads ;)

whateveritis12 already beat me to the Cal Omas joke too.. [face_laugh]

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hey, as long as we get a picture of Cal Omas (finally, though too bad it would be a posthumous picture by now), then I am buying this. ;) Just hope they have Trevas doing all of the artwork again. Hm, we were wondering what they were going to do after they had finished redoing most of the old Essential Guides (Atlas being the new Planet and Moons, sorta), and this is a good direction.

So, we all want a picture of Omas by now, of course, but it'd be nice if they could put in an accurate picture of Ben Skywalker too (has there been a correct portrayal of him yet?). Or better yet, add more KotOR, Legacy or Knight Errant artwork too (those are comics, so they should be covered, right?). Or maybe even give us pictures of all those capital ships that have been mentioned since NJO but we've never seen, or just images of climatic battles other than just Yavin, Hoth or Endor (its always nice to see those battles, but a little variety is appreciated). Or they could throw in a few character biographies too, sorta like how the New Chronology focused on the Big Three (and Lando) a bit. Just too bad this is still such a long ways off.

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090820055233/starwars/images/6/66/BenSkywalker_Atlas.jpg]

I'd say this was a pretty good picture of Ben.

6. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    This look awesome, just like the Guide to Warfare. Omas, here we come.

7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm betting that they'll give us a picture of Omas's daughter, but not Omas.

At any rate, Trevas on this one too would be ideal (yes, he should be expected to do absolutely everything). Since the guy consolidates previous EU renderings of characters better than anyone, I'd think he would be the best choice.

8. Ki-Aaron-Mundi

Ki-Aaron-Mundi Jedi Knight star 2

May 22, 2008
    This sounds interesting. I've been incredibly happy with the Essential Guides line so far, though it's interesting that they're taking one and setting it out-of-universe. Still, I'm sure that will help differentiate it from The New Essential Chronology, and I'm actually excited to see how this one pans out. A focus on essential material rather than essential events is a cool idea.

And not to change the subject or anything, but one interesting tidbit about these newer Essential Guides from Ms. Rostoni on the SW.com Message Boards from April 23:

So, we've accounted for Mr. Fry's Essential Guide to Warfare, as well as "one other," Mr. Hidalgo's Essential Reader's Companion. But that leaves a third that's being worked on but is undisclosed. It could be the Revised Characters Guide Mr. Wallace mentioned, but that sounded way too hypothetical and early for Ms. Rostoni to make mention of. Just food for thought.

9. purpilian

purpilian Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2005
    Timeline for the Clone Wars??? Trevas pic of CW characters like Ahsoka and Anakin? There are books from that period. Could set the era in order. Or destroy the balance of the Force and plunge the EU into darkness... I am hoping for some good things though. Also would like to see pics depicting scenes from LOTJ and FOTJ. Crazy Jedi, Daala's inauguration etc. I've always wanted a full page dossier of fugitive Jedi from the Dark Times era, like the ones we havent seen. Could fit in with the books of the era so maybe.

10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Well if I'm to play favorites I'd love to see pictures of Ephin Saretti, Mynar Devis, Vitor Reige and Hallena Devis.:)

Just skip Omas because the joke ends if we do get a pic.:p

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "Pictured Above: Former Chief of State Leia Organa Solo. The elbow to her right is believed to be of Cal Omas."

12. Pabawan

Pabawan LFL Story Group star 1 VIP

Apr 2, 2002
    I shall recommend that Cal Omas stand behind a potted plant or have his image cropped like Al in the old Naked Gun/Police Squad show. ;)

ph

13. MrNomAnor

MrNomAnor Jedi Master

Sep 17, 2001
    =D= at this forthcoming book.

[face_laugh] at Pabawan. :p

I merely hope that what we don't get is another picture of the Bastion Accords signing, except this time with a caption stating that Alderaanian senator Cal Omas is currently hidden behind Ponc Gavrisom's massive wings. Do. Not. Want.

In all seriousness, a lot of people are clamouring for Cal Omas (and rightly so). However, another must have inclusion for this book is a picture of Allana. The first grand-child of two of the Big Three really deserves a picture by now. Its about time (past time, actually).

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I wonder if the third guide is the one for the CWAS Season Two? (Although if she was referring specifically to the "Essential Guide", I guess not)

15. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Ben-Kihl-Nahm!

Cole Fardreamer!

Ayydar Nylykerka!

Gimme gimme pictures! :D

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    We don't need a picture of Bennie; we just need the retcon that the Cerean in the Pellaeon-Gavrison Treaty image is him.

Vialco likes this.
  17. Yodasbadgirl1

Yodasbadgirl1 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 30, 2009

18. Taral-DLOS

Taral-DLOS Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2009

"President Eisenhouer celebrates 40th wedding anniversary. Not pictured: Mrs. Eisenhower."
    -Homer Simpson, reading the caption below a picture at the Burlesque House.

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Abother excellent book! =D=

Pablo will do an amazing job with this, so I have no doubts. The prospect of seeing some characters we have never seen before, like my fav Cal Omas, is pretty cool.

Dude, if they want to show an obscure BFC character, let's have Admiral Nantz. ;)

--Adm. Nick

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Behold: Cal Omas!

[image=http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/uploads/post-3-1219410224.jpg]

21. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    It's probably going to be more like those Essential Marvel Guides they've put out recently, which give a summary of the various issues.

22. Taral-DLOS

Taral-DLOS Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2009
    I've been picturing it as being like the Panel to Panel books that Dark Horse had out a while back. Analysis/synopsis of the stories, publishing info, art work, collections, etc.

23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Fixed.;)

24. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    This looks interesting.

25. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I could see myself picking this up. Though I said that about the atlas. I still mean to pick that up.