The EU and Episode III: Revenge of the Sith- Spoilers Allowed

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gandalf the Grey, Mar 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Don't forget Captain Pellaeon in Bloodlines.

Poor guy. Took him decades to get another promotion. :(
  2. Kast_Morben Force Ghost

star 4
    The Jedi have the power to arrest people, given to them by the judiciary, and then under the jurisdiction of the supreme chancellor.

They came to arrest Palpatine, then he was resisiting arrest. They were doing what they had to do. Palpatine had no right to order them to be killed, just because they were doing their job.

He twisted the circumstances of the arrest, that's why he's evil!
  3. Lord_Riven Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey, did Lucas contradict himself when he had Anakin complain in the movie that ONLY Jedi Masters are on the Council cos' in the Episode 1 visual dictionary doesn't it say that Ki-Adi Mundi was only a Jedi Knight when he joined the Council?

Sorry, if this has already been raised...
  4. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    It has already been discussed. Lucas didn't contradict himself, the EU contradicts ROTS. So someone's going to have to come up with a retcon for it.
  5. Lord_Riven Force Ghost

star 4
    So is the Episode 1 visual dictionary classified as EU? I always thought it would be classified as canonical like the movies b/c they are basically movie material...like the novelisations?
  6. Sand_Hill Jedi Knight

star 2
    the novelisations aren't a higher level of canon either. IIRC
  7. Prime_ Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think in the end if it isn't up there on the screen, it's EU and so a lower level of canon.
  8. jawajames FF Pacific RSA / Chapter Rep San Diego, CA

Manager
    star 6
    the easiest way to explain it is that Anakin was ignorant of the fact that Ki-Adi-Mundi was once just a Knight on the council. remember that the characters don't always speak the truth or know the truth.

9. Behold_Galvatron Jedi Knight

^VERY good point. I doubt Obi Wan pointing it out would have helped either as Anakin was only made a member at the beheast of Palpatine. The council really didn't want to put him on there where as Mundi they did
  10. Lord_Riven Force Ghost

star 4
    I suppose that's valid but any of the others could have pointed it out...but seriously Samuel L Jackson butchered Mace Windu's character so badly in Ep3.
  11. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    o_O How so? I thought Jackson's acting was some of the best in the movie. I don't see how he could have butchered the character. Esp. considering Mace Windu is basically a SW version of SLJ himself.
  12. Tricky Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Quit talking crap, man. Sam's acting in RotS was the most unlike the patented Sam character that he's known for playing in movies like The Caveman's daughter, Jungle Fever, Pulp Fiction & Shaft. Sam really toned down & drew himself into the character of Mace Windu, you didn't hear no bad m***********'s or huh's at all from him.

I got a question about the Golden wall sculpture is the hallway between Palpatine's office & his holo room.

Topic: The Golden Wall Sculpture...(RotS minor spoiler)
    Tricky

The Golden Wall Sculpture is supposed to depict past Jedi fighting darkside controlled beasts. You can see some giant turtle & a bald headed chick that is not Aurra Sing or Asajj Ventress & you can clearly see people holding lightsabers.

here's what the OS said about it...

]i]Some fans think they spot Aurra Sing, the chalk-skinned bald-headed bounty hunter from Episode I, in the sculpted frieze hanging in Palpatine's office. It's not really, but the sculpture is worth taking a look at. It depicts an ancient battle between Jedi and dark side-corrupted creatures and aliens. [/i]

Is this battle covered in any of the EU, like Tales of the Jedi or the New Sith Wars?
  13. Paladin307 Force Ghost

star 2
    It has not been covered, but it is assumed it is from the time when the Sith controlled the galaxy, the republic was dead, and the Jedi were trying to get it back.
  14. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Which could have been during roughly any of the previous Sith Wars, really, considering most of those climaxed with the Sith on the cusp of total galactic conquest.

Something will clarify this bit before terribly much longer.

the novelisations aren't a higher level of canon either. IIRC

I think in the end if it isn't up there on the screen, it's EU and so a lower level of canon.
    />

Both incorrect...the novelizations are considered "G-canon" ("George-canon"), and thus anything in them not directly contradicting the movies are as "real" as the movies themselves.

Anything else (excepting the radio dramas and the movie comic adaptations) is considered "C-canon," the next level down....the Visual Dictionaries, the Clone Wars animated series, Labyrinth of Evil, et cetera./>/>
  15. lawnmowerman603 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Another possible EU connection, I thin- IIRC, Anakin feels he'd be well suited to handle the Kashyyk mission or something like that- which could be tied in (either purposely or retrospectively) to the events on Alaris Prime during the Clone Wars game.

I don't remember when I first heard about Kashyyyk being in Ep3, but I'm pretty sure it was after I played The Clone Wars for PS2. I was surprised that there would still be fighting there almost 3 years after the events of the game. Of course, the lucasarts guys made the game well before any Ep3 script had been finished or even talked about. Haven't seen any mention of that first month of the War in any DK stuff so far, although I think some Republic Commando event is mentioned (haven't played that).

Also, did Anakin say he is familiar with the Kashyyyk system in the movie or is that line only in the EU versions?

And one last thing. I just have to ask because I've read the word at least a hundred times now. What does "retcon" mean?
  16. DVader316 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    A retcon is when the authors go back and fix continuity errors when they contradict something previously established in the EU canon. Most recent cases of this have been retcons of things written in the past that were later contradicted by something GL did in the prequels.

17. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Any Anakin dialogue would've been in offscreen sources; Yoda's the only one in the movie who professes familiarity with the Wookiees (which in fact jibes with the "Holonet News" entries from a couple years back).

As for the three-years-later Kashyyyk siege, it's simply the Separatists attempting to lock down and (re-)claim a major planet that -- according to the film -- occupies an important strategic position, despite lying quite far off the Perlemian. After their failure on the Kashyyyk moon with the Force Harvester, they apparently make a go at taking the homeworld itself nearly three years later, which could be a byproduct of the further-out "Outer Rim Sieges."
  18. Whizkid Jedi Master

star 4

Does anybody look at DE differently in light of ROTS? Palpatine either knew how to sustain life or was close to learning it, and this theme fits nicely with DE imo.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    It stands for retroactive continuity.

Don't forget Captain Pellaeon in Bloodlines.

Poor guy. Took him decades to get another promotion.

For a good reason./>
  20. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Ok something that i noticed every time i saw the movie but wasn't 100% sure on until now- there's a continuity error with Grievous's hands.

Kenobi lops off on of GG's left hands firts, then one of his right hands, then the next shot is GG gripping two sabers in both of his right hands somehow when he swings them at Kenobi together.

Later on, it's clear he was "1 and 1" and not "2 and 0".
  21. Kreuzader Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it just looks that way - the lower (green) saber is coming from Grievous' left-hand side; you can kind of see the arm hooking up from below to hold the hilt.
  22. killfire Force Ghost

star 4
    Frankly, I don't get movie. If Palpatine is disfigured at the end of ROTS, and Vader reduced in Force ability, why didn't Yoda train one of the twins on Dagobah from birth? With the guidance of Qui-Gon, the twin would have become stronger and wiser by the time of ROTJ when Yoda dies.

"Use the force I will to change diapers, strong in the force the smells of the young apprentice are."
  23. Kwenn Force Ghost

star 5
    It's not exactly much of a life to live in a swamp with a crazy green muppet. Both Luke and Leia are adopted by families who love them, ensuring they know enough of compassion to bring down the Empire without lowering themselves to the ways of the Sith. And though Vader's weakened, Sidious is in no way any less of a threat because of his 'disfigurement' - which, in fact, is his true face anyway, so it doesn't affect him at all.
  24. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>I think it just looks that way - the lower (green) saber is coming from Grievous' left-hand side; you can kind of see the arm hooking up from below to hold the hilt.<<

::looks again::

Ah, you're right- it's very hard to see though, unless you frame-by-frame it.
  25. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    What I took from the noveliation and all the talk about "compassion" is that the twins needed to be raised by a loving family to become the way they should be. The reason they failed with Anakin, and the reason no Jedi were disappearing up to this point, was because they were too detached. They had to spend a few years in solitude getting in touch with their emotions. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.