main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The EU and Episode III: Revenge of the Sith- Spoilers Allowed

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gandalf the Grey, Mar 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JansonYellowAces

JansonYellowAces Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    I guessing that Corran Horn's Grandfather, forgetting name, will be part of a Space Battle.

2. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Actually his grandfather would be very plausible as the EU character. I would love for Lucas to show us what Corellia is like, maybe have a ground battle or something there?

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Valiento seems to have forgotten that George Lucas can bend continuity to his will."

No I haven't forgotten, but I'd rather mcallum and who ever else is working on the movie that knows the EU, will be careful to avoid putting in characters that will contradict the EU's history, causing stories to have to be tossed out, as well as possibly contradicting books that are coming out in the future. Remember it was mcallum that convinced Lucas to use the name Coruscant, when Lucas could very easily have contradicted the EU, and named it something else.

Putting in thrawn would be very bad, as the established story is that he was exiled to an Unknown Regions jungle world after attacking Kinman Doriana's fleet, "for more than a decade"(almost 14 years after TPM, going by the known info when the outbound destruction occured). He was stuck there until Voss Parck found him weeks after palpatine had declared himself the emperor. Even the NEGTC mentions this fact. You would have to toss out that part of the story, which is not a good thing...

As for Corran's grandfather, I think that could contradict the EU as well. IIRC, he should be dead already, unless he dies in the final battle of the clone wars, that is if the movie shows the final battle of the clone wars.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The best reporters are unbiased in their approach. If someone is going to be regularly updating the Episode III news section until 2005, they need to learn how to do it right. Purposely venting their negative opinion, and making part of a large section of TFN's fanbase feel worthless in the process, is not Good Work. I expect better, and so should others.

I actually called Josh on that exact point last night, and after a few others chimed in to agree with me, the comment was removed. If that doesn't earn me some points with the EUDF, I dunno what will... :)

"EU Defense Force: defending the EU from Josh Griffin since '99!"

On the subject of that EU character, I would love to see Bel Iblis in the senate somewhere (which I've been saying since TPM), but someone on AICN said that Durge may have been introduced in the EU specifically to set him up for an appearance in Episode 3 (a la Boba Fett and the Holiday Special), so I think it's most likely gonna be him. I can always dream, though...

To all the people dying to see Thrawn - what's the point of arguing in favor of EU canonity if we're pressing to see film appearances that would invalidate our own continuity? I mean, I like Nom Anor, but I don't wanna see him in Episode 3.

5. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    The person that wrote the article was knowlegable in the EU, so there shouldn't be any problem.

I think we're making too much of this. Allya Secura was an EU character and she didn't even have any LINES!

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Technically speaking, of course, Quinlan Vos made his very first appearance in a *Lucas-directed* film (with his backstory developed by John Ostrander), and I know that -- if it DOES turn out to be him -- we're gonna end up hearing about three billion purists screaming that LUCAS obviously created him first, so he's only using his own personal creation after all and not an EU character, and ha-ha, how do we like THEM apples...they'll always find a way, it seems. [face_plain]

But, on the whole, this is quite satisfying and validating, and here's hoping that it's someone fairly recognizable to both sides, and *preferably* an entirely non-filmic character to begin with (although I wouldn't mind Quinlan at all). My fantasy picks would be Senator Bel Iblis, Kinman Doriana (love those politicos), and maaaybe Thrawn, but you've got that whole "Mist Encounter" thing to worry about with him.

But, of course, it's soooo obviously going to be Villie. ;)

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "The person that wrote the article was knowlegable in the EU, so there shouldn't be any problem."

Right, so if that person has their way, Thrawn will not be in the movie, because it would contradict the EU's established events, that since he is knowledgeable of the EU, he would know about.

8. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Forgot to add Empatojayos Brand to that list...y'never know...

Oh, and mad props to Coopra6000 for taking a stand, and to Sturm for bringing it up.

9. Nolan_Sanap

Nolan_Sanap Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2002
    Keep in mind, Lucas isn't making any more movies so the character must be able to be involved without spurring any new plotlines. My gambles are:
    -Garm Bel Iblis: In some senatorial scene.
    -Quinlan Vos: In a Jedi battle, intelligence briefing, or council scene.
    -Giliad Pellaeon: as one of the first non-clone officers.*
    -Sate Pestage: He's already in ROJ if you look closely and was sorta developed by Lucas in the first place. He could be one of Palpatine's new aides--to emphasize Palpy's dumping of alien species.
    -Possibly, but unlikely, Durge or Ventress.

~D'Rewan

*It is my hypothesis that all stormtroopers are clones (though not neccessarily of Jango Fett) and that when Palpatine exterminates the Jedi he replaces the Jedi "Generals" and "lieutenants" with Naval officers (formerly of the Republic Security Force introduced in Rogue Planet) like Ozzel and Piett who aren't clones and therefore have better command abilities.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "-Sate Pestage: He's already in ROJ if you look closely and was sorta developed by Lucas in the first place. He could be one of Palpatine's new aides--to emphasize Palpy's dumping of alien species."

Those on the death star died with the death star, since Sate Pestadge is around post-ROTJ, it couldn't have been sate on the death star, but someone that dressed like him instead. Unless you believe sate had another clone on the death star. Sate on the other hand is tied to that group, he just happened to be on coruscant at the time if I recall the EU correctly.

11. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    IMO, Garm Bel Iblis or Quinlon Vos are the most likely choices. I really hope it is not Durge, I do not like that character at all. Pellaeon would be cool, but unlikely as would Thrawn.

12. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    That is not Sate Pestage. But man, they all look alike.

Wait..is that prejudice against Dark Siders?

13. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Nah, just against street-mimes.

Oh, wait...that's MY prejudice against street-mimes.

Never mind. [face_devil]

But yeah, Pellaeon would be another classy choice for inclusion, I think.

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    It could be Talon Karrde. Much of his backhistory is unknown, so no continuity is bent. Moreover, since his Car'das takeover was in the years following the Clone Wars, you could feature him in in this period.

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    For most characters age has to be factored in, if a character's given age would either leave them as not being born yet, or as a young child. They aren't likely to show up in that era.

16. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    My vote is Garm. We know he was in the Senate earlish on. And maybe in the 3 years since AOTC, Corellia reopened it's *doors.* Or maybe Corellia went isolationist--up to the point but not beyond relinquishing their senate seat.

17. Nolan_Sanap

Jul 31, 2002
    Actually, Sate Pestage can be seen with Kren Blista-Vanee in the scene in Palpatine's throne room when Palpatine tells Vader to go to the Executor. Kren Blista-Vanee, skeletal and dressed in purple and red, bows to the Emperor upon the scene's end.
    The names of the Emperor's Inner Circle are here, listed back to front and left to right in the order of the photograph. Sate Pestage and Kren Blista-Vanee are also shown in the Star Wars Visual Dictionary from DK as Imperial Dignitaries. Evidently Pestage and the ruling circle escaped the Death Star's destruction.
    Another issue, yet to be officially addressed in the movies is the Empire's anti-alien and anti-female prejudices. This is actually EU presumed and has (with close inspection) yet to be demonstrated in the movies. There are hints, but no offical statements.

~D'Rewan

18. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    In Return of the Jedi, who are the gentlemen that exit the shuttle with "Emperor Palpatine?
    Accompanying Emperor Palpatine in several scenes is a cadre of Imperial advisors. They are alternately known as Imperial dignitaries, or more sinisterly, the Emperor's Inner Circle. They wear burgundy and purple robes and have pale skin and sunken features. Many of them are key officials in the managing of the Imperial bureaucracy.

Among the members of Palpatine's Inner Circle are: Sate Pestage, Janus Greejatus, Sim Aloo, Ars Dangor, and Kren Blista-Vanee."

No where in this article does it say that characters are named from left to right. All it states is Sate Pestage was part of Palpatine's Inner Circle but that has been known since earlier EU. That he was on the death star on the other hand hasn't been flat out stated. I recall reading that he was on coruscant at the time that palpatine was on the death star as well.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll throw out my list of guesses:

-Borsk (we should get to see one Bothan onscreen, afterall)
    -Durge (visualy interesting, fits with supposed large role of bounty hunters, ties into cartoon which will get widespread viewing-possibly more than your average EU product, thus higher rate of recognition)
    -Garm (easy enough cameo, fits in with source of rebellion)
    -Nym (Lucas had more involvement with Starfighter it seems)
    -Quinlan (easily the most popular EU-created character of the PT-era)
    -Xizor (would fit in with previously mentioned bounty hunter aspect)

20. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    First I hope that Aayla and Quinlan return in Ep III.

Mara Jade would be cool, but she isn't even born then ...
    Thrawn is a possibility. It would be a nice touch for the fans.
    Garm Bel Iblis is possible too.

But my favorite would be T'Ra Saa from Darkness ...
    I simply love that chick! She is soo cool ! [face_love] :cool:

21. Nolan_Sanap

Jul 31, 2002
    No where in this article does it say that characters are named from left to right. All it states is Sate Pestage was part of Palpatine's Inner Circle but that has been known since earlier EU. That he was on the death star on the other hand hasn't been flat out stated. I recall reading that he was on coruscant at the time that palpatine was on the death star as well.
    Touche, Valiento. Well argued.
    BUT...
    Sources such as the Death Star Technical Companion, Imperial Sourcebook, Movie Trilogy Sourcebook, Customizable Card Game, and many others, confirm the individual IDs of theose gentlemen. Those members pictured, are the members listed and all were aboard the Death Star. So one way or another, Sate was on the DS even if he isn't listed left to right. :)

~D'Rewan

22. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Oops, folks.

Sasee Tin is still alive, hot off the presses from hyperspace. The reports of his death have been greatly exagurated. ;)

23. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Sources such as the Death Star Technical Companion, Imperial Sourcebook, Movie Trilogy Sourcebook, Customizable Card Game, and many others, confirm the individual IDs of theose gentlemen."

Except you are completely wrong, as none of those sources confirm photo IDs of every character.

Ars Dangor is a man with a Fu Manchu mustache.

Krenn Blista-Vanee and Sim Aloo, are shown as looking exactly the same, both sharing a photo of the same actor.

Sate Pestage is not in any of those books, and he does not have a photo next to him. The books that he does show up in, he has illustrations, his facial features do not look like any of the ones in the Death Star photo, neither does his different style of clothing. Evidence that he is a completely different person than the ones shown on the death star.

I heard a rumor once that Sate Pestage's art may be based on the actor that played Sate Pestage in ESB in a cutscene(I don't know if this is true though). If so it would beg the question that since the art doesn't match up with any of the actors in ROTJ, then maybe there is another actor altogether that played Sate Pestage in the ESB cutscene? Which would be all the more evidence that Sate Pestage wasn't on the death star.

24. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    So, no one cares about Tin? Hello unwashed masses? You out there? ;)

25. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I do, and I'd like to give a big hearty I told them so, to the ones that thought he died, ;). Jedi Starfighter has been right all along, Saesee Tiin did not die on Geonosis, :D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.