main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The EU and "The Star Wars Holiday Special"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthSolo3, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSolo3

DarthSolo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    I just finished viewing "The Star Wars Holiday Special" for the very 1st time. In my opinion, the film was very weird, especially for SW. Anyway, in the film, there is a ten minute cartoon that introduces Boba Fett to SW.

I am relatively new to the EU, but in this cartoon, Chewie and Han meet Boba for the first time, and if I am correct these 3 knew each other, according to the EU, long before the events of "A New Hope" (for those of you who do not know, the Holiday Special takes place in between ANH and TESB). So, am I correct in assuming that the writers of the EU do not consider the Holiday Special to be canon?

2. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I think it is meant to be Luke's first time meating Boba Fett not Han's.

3. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    The Holiday Special is indeed canon, and it was, if I remember correctly, the first source to portray Chewie's family and Kashyyyk (though I believe the third y was silent initially).

I believe Solo's failure to recognize Fett was explained in another source, though what that explanation was eludes me at the moment.

4. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    I think the best explanation I've heard is that the cartoon is Rebel propaganda "based" on actual events.

5. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I agree, since when can Fett ride a sea monster? And why wasn't he affected by the sleeping virus? He is after all, human.

The only reason that the Holiday Special is considered canon is that HTTE goes there and everything else is based on that.

If they didn't it would simply be regarded as an embarassment.

6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    This HNN has the four armed cook seen in Holiday Special.

Chewie's family is originally from SW:HS, as is Life Day.

I really don't think the film is all bad: the cartoon is the best part. The rest, however *shudder* is bad in a bad, bad way. Singing in Star Wars? [face_shame_on_you]

7. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    As to why Han doesn't recognize Fett, the official explaination is that Han was still under the effects of the sleeping virus, and so didn't realize who Fett was. Hard to mistake his Mandalorian battle armour, but nevermind...

8. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    maybe Han was groggy enough that he couldn't remember if the armored man was Boba Fett or Jodo Kast... he'd hate to insult Fett by calling him Kast, but he'd hate to stroke Kast's ego by calling him Fett.

some of those music scenes were truly awful... especially the ones that take place in the computers/video systems.

9. DarthSolo3

DarthSolo3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    This still does not explain why Chewie does not recognize Boba.

10. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Perhaps he does? He keeps his mouth shut because Fett's his best shot at saving Han.

Still...

I had an idea about this:

What if the cartoon IS rebel propoganda, and that the *actual* story involves the Rebels meeting Boba Fett disguised as...Jaster Mereel. After all, what sense does it make for Fett to cozy up to the Rebels and pretend to be good natured when pretty much everyone in the galaxy at this point knows who he is. Luke *especially* should know, having quite a tremendous bounty on his head.

11. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The answer to Han not recognizing Fett lies in the original Essential Guide to Characters: Solo was groggy from the effects of the sleeping virus. Fett was probably not effected because his armor can be sealed air-tight. Chewbacca knew full well who Fett was--the cartoon states that he didn't trust him from the start, as Luke had, because of his "smell". One can infer that he recognized the scent of Boba Fett, and knew he was not Jaster, Jodo, Alfreda, or any other Mandalorian-armor wearing individual.

Also, while the presentation of the cartoon in the holiday special confirms its status as a piece of Rebel propaganda, the recaps of the story in various sourcebooks show that everything occurred more or less as it did in the cartoon version.

TC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.