main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The EU Apocrypha - Using New Material to Expand the Expanded Universe

Discussion in 'Literature' started by blackmyron, Mar 6, 2018.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm pretty sure the Mayor of Sernpidal was the human San Hill.

In the comic book store, I noticed that the reprint of Tag and Bink was labelled "Legends". :rolleyes:
    It's clear now (if it wasn't already strongly suspected) that "Legends" is just a term for "a brand name for reprinting comics and books from before the NewCanon switch" and not the "new name for the Expanded Universe". I'm going to try to avoid using the term in the future.

Daneira and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I saw Solo last night and...

The Lando Calrissian trilogy could have still happened. Lando mentions Oseon, or my ears definitely deceived me. L3 could have been the Vuffi Raa role(or been with Lando and Vuffi Raa), minus the need to call Lando master.

Voltron64, blackmyron and kalzeth like this.
  3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Lando mentions all three of the trilogy books - Oseon, the Sharu, and the Star Cave. And given that Jon Kasdan said he was a big fan of the Lando books, I'm sure the idea of Lando having a droid sidekick/copilot came from Vuffi Raa.

4. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, that makes things easier for the Lando stuff.
    If only the Han material was the same...:p

kalzeth and PCCViking like this.
  5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    You win. After seeing Solo, I now feel that this movie can't be 'Han Solo and the Pirates of Kessel'. I can't say why without going into spoilers, but an attentive viewer with detailed knowledge of the EU can figure out why.

6. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Minor spoiler for the species of a minor Solo character:

When Lady Proxima showed up, I was excited because for a second I thought she was supposed to be a Priapulin. I only thought of this because for whatever reason, I always really liked the character Charza Kwinn from Rogue Planet, and was bummed he never showed up again. I guess she's a Grindalid, though... but perhaps they're related the same way that Duros and Neimoidians are?

7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Couldn't the events of Solo be brought into EU canon, minus the elements that contradict the EU? Basically Han and Chewie took a failed coaxium job with Beckett, stole some coaxium from Kessel with Lando along for the ride, then gave it to the Rebellion. The core concept can fit into the EU between Hutt Gambit and Rebel Dawn, but all the "origin" stuff (Han meets Chewie, Han wins the Falcon from Lando, how Han meets Lando) is cut out.
    After some thought, this movie might still be 'Han Solo and the Pirates of Kessel' if
    the actor portraying the Dathomirian character is an actual Nightbrother who adlibbed Dathomir into his dialogue when it wasn't in the script. That way, the movie was made without greater galactic knowledge of Dathomir and continuity with Courtship of Princess Leia (where no one knows what Dathomir is) is preserved.

blackmyron likes this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Have book 1 of the Solo trilogy take place before the events of Solo, is a suggestion that has surfaced. Have Solo cover some of the five years that he was in the Empire, and then Chewbacca and Han reconnect when Han crosses paths with him as a slave anew... then assume the area Han meets Lando again is a suite on Cloud City?

That’s the initial idea floating around the Net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackmyron and PCCViking like this.
  9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm more impressed by how much the movie - and the tie-in reference book (just picked it up today) - actually follow the EU.

Certainly didn't expect the Kessel Run be essentially the same! Although Lucas' goof over what a 'parsec' was probably meant that the EU's explanation was the most painless...

The movie really does almost seem like some unauthorized 'biographical film' that was made about Han in the post-ROTJ era...

AV-6R7, PCCViking, sidv88 and 2 others like this.
  10. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013

11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Considering Qi'ra's boss never actually got his fate resolved in Legends, is it possible (given the actor) that, if this movie is 'Han Solo and the Pirates of Kessel' this in-universe holofilm actually had Qi'ra's boss playing himself? That's what his ultimate fate was--slip into the background and become an actor... Besides, it's not clear who would recognize him anyway after ROTJ except maybe high level Mandalorians, and they may not want to advertise their connection to him.

12. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I'd rather we presume Sidious just killed him, I mean, there's no reason he'd keep him alive.

kalzeth likes this.
  13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    With the whole Solo thing bringing the NewCanon Kessel back to the forefront, I was thinking about how to connect to the Kessels of the EU.

For those of you that weren't aware, a Kessel appeared way back in the comic days - the newspaper one as opposed to the comic book one - that bore little to no resemblance to the Kessel from the JAT. Eventually, the retcon was that the old Kessel was "Little Kessel", in the same sector.

My original thought was that the Kessel from Rebels was the same as "Little Kessel", but from the Solo reference book, I've begun to swing the other way - that it is actually the real Kessel. In this case, it would require more of a reworking of EU material than normal - the rule of thumb is usually that the EU material takes precedent. Here, however, I think that most of the EU Kessel can be preserved. Or, as an alternative, we could have the classic EU Kessel be either another planet in the system... or planet closer to the Maw that is also home to spice mining operations. I may have to pick up the Rebels Visual Guide....

PCCViking, Iron_lord and Darth_Duck like this.
  14. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Kessel is only two pages in the book.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Back in the day we used to create entire narratives from a one-off mention in WEG's Dark Empire Sourcebook. ;)

16. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    i mean really that actally can fit in canon the fact that they used the same name for his master and the fact that Tholme faked his death all the time that i had no problem have adding that to my personal canon

Sinrebirth and kalzeth like this.
  17. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    The EU never ceases to amaze. I thought names and concepts like the Epicanthix were questionable, now I find out it has literal tentacle monster worms looking like this:
    [​IMG]
    Named after Priapus. (Link is to Wikipedia but arguably not work safe because ancient Roman art)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  18. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm pretty sure the EU retcon would have been that the first guardian was also a clone of Jorus. [face_laugh] But actually it makes a certain amount of sense now that I think about it... [face_thinking]

I just assume that "Old Wounds" is Maul's fate in Legends, given the similarities. But then again, I'm also assuming that Maul was resurrected again to bring down the Sith post-Legacy as per the cancelled Maul videogame. :D

It is considerably easier to have one blanket label for Expanded Universe and Infinities stories instead of distinguishing between "material that is no longer canon but can be used to inform canon stories" and "material that wasn't canon when the Expanded Universe was canon but was used to inform EU stories but still isn't canon but could also be used to inform canon stories"--there's not a lot of functional difference at this point.

TC

Daneira likes this.
  19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised if the first guardian was also a clone of Jorus. Maybe Joruus's mental instability allowed him to think he killed the Guardian, when instead, something happened to him, thus activating Joruus (the one we see). Maybe the first Joruus clone tried to take over, and either the Emperor or Vader paid him a visit to put him in his place, so to speak.

SheaHublin likes this.
  20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    @TalonCard : No, I agree that it is a fine category for marketing purposes. It's usage also as a replacement for "Expanded Universe" is what bothers me.

21. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I've been replaying Jedi Academy very slowly, and I just did the mission when you get captured by the prison warden on a hidden Imperial outpost, who then steals your lightsaber for the entire mission. The name of that commander of the hidden Imperial base is... Rax.

Surely this has to be a relative of Gallius. Or even the same guy with a name change, after in the EU Continuity he fell out of favor and was demoted to an out of the way planet.

22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Gallius Rax seems to have chosen his last name (on Jakku he was just an orphan named Galli). Maybe this guy was a mentor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  23. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    So as I just posted in another thread:

More relevant to this thread, I also wondered if the Threepio unit that Vader was in the process of building was an EU version of Triple Zero.

blackmyron likes this.
  24. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Maybe 3CP-X as well?

SheaHublin and Nom von Anor like this.
  25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Rough draft explaining my philosophy about canon - A New Approach to Canon, Part One

Fiction, in a variety of forms of genres and mediums, relies on several elements to immerse the reader/viewer in the story; plot, characterization, and the setting, to name a few. While stories can use different combinations of these elements, for series (whether chronological sequences, or stories within a shared universe) a major component tends to a setting that remains essentially consistent over the works within the series – generally known as continuity. The more details (or lore) within the stories lends itself to creating a background that allows for good storytelling. To the casual reader/viewer, this is simply a component of an enjoyable story. However, for some fans there is a stronger interest in the lore of the story universe; especially what is ‘true’ (in the sense of a fictional universe). This is usually referred to as canon.

Canon has always been a topic of conversation, and much debate, among fans for a variety of story universes. Which stories are actually ‘canonical’, what happens when lore in canonical works contradict each other, and trying to fill in the blanks where there is missing or incomplete lore. This has been complicated recently, however, with larger, corporate-owned franchises stepping in to designate what is ‘official canon’ and what is ‘non-canon’, with the definitions changing with time, or sometimes even contradicting their own pronouncements.

With all that being said, the purpose of this essay is to put forth a new approach to the idea of canon. In order to do so, let’s look at the concept of ‘canon’ over the years.

Iron_lord and Nom von Anor like this.