main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Events ~The EU Challenge Season 2~ {A Fan Art / EU Crossover Competition} - Status - Closed

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Corellian_Outrider, May 24, 2013.

1. Darth Loocas

Darth Loocas Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 14, 2013
    btw CO, since i absolutely looove the way u execute your work,i really would love to see you do a scene like two jedi in a saber duel or something like that,some action,a scene... i'm sure you will put on a stunning show,with such execution as yours it will be breathtaking!
    what do you think?
    of course if u like to, because an artist MUST love what he/she creates...

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I may break out my new pack of markers for Thrawn, as my old ones have seen better days. And trying to replace them with Prismacolors hasn't been as successful as I hoped. I'm used to the Faber-Castell brush pens, so that's what I'm going to stick with... even if they cost me $22 a pack. And I can't buy the shades I need separate. The Prismacolors just don't blend as well as the Faber-Castell.

After Thrawn's sketch card is done, I may just pick random EU characters, as the other ones on the list simply don't interest me.

3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    No offense dude, but you're pegging my creep-o-meter.

4. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Corellian_Outrider, great job on this one. I'm gonna have to step up my game if I stand any chance against you this time. :D

Evil.

5. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    edit:never mind

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Got Thrawn done.

[​IMG]

Rebecca_Daniels and Darth Loocas like this.
  7. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    great job ,traknar;
    i really like your style,& ive seen all your work, IMO thrawn sits among the best of them.

TrakNar likes this.
  8. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Here's my offering for Grand Admiral Thrawn. Here you see him just after he was awarded his promotion to Grand Admiral.

[​IMG]

Evil.

Rebecca_Daniels and TrakNar like this.
  9. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Evil_King_Wiggins likes this.
  10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Nice tracing, Wiggins, but the way the model's chin comes down over the uniform collar looks kind of off.

SWpants likes this.
  11. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    Tracing? You think this is a tracing? Flattering, but no. It looks off because I'm not quite used to the analog to digital conversion yet. My digital shading and texturing skills still have room to grow.

Evil.

12. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    you say you have room to grow in digital shading & texturing ,yet i don't see anything off in your work,i just saw the two drawings of yours that won the last EU contest,they were mesmerizing.
    & since i really prefer the traditional drawing(with traditional tools) rather than all digital(CO's an exception), i really respect your work.
    actually i really cant tell how much of it is digital,i think less than 5%...it all looks hand drawn,am i right?

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I am curious about your process, though. It is digital work, correct? Sorta looks like you assembled several images to make your composition and ran them through a bunch of filters in PS. You then used a tablet (or inked, perhaps?) for the final touches by accenting the shadows/highlights and darkening the contours.

If that is the case, that is an interesting process and I think it renders a great result. Overall, nice Thrawn!

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  14. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I actually do most of the work by hand with pencils and markers. After I do that, I take a picture of the drawing with my DSLR and run it through photoshop to achieve the results you see now. Maybe I'll do a step by step tutorial in my art thread soon. :)

Evil.

15. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
  16. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Tracing!?!? Really!?!? I've known Evil for sometime, and he does NOT trace......his work is brilliant (note my avatar!!!) and he does NOT trace....pure talent!

Darth Loocas likes this.
  17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I still call shenanigans, which is of course my right (and some would say duty).

In any case, I do have other criticism for Wiggins' Thrawn image. For one thing, the guy posing is definitely not Thrawn; the haircut is totally out of character for a Chiss of military bearing (as evidenced by numerous canonical depictions of Chiss and of Thrawn himself). Second, he's definitely too young-looking to be the Grand Admiral that we all know and love/hate. Maybe as the force commander we're introduced to in Outbound Flight, but definitely not the guy who received his penultimate promotion during the Galactic Civil War. Third, the pose is incredibly un-military. His back should be ramrod straight, his shoulders squared, and his chin should jut out with due pride with his arms at his side or clasped behind his back if he isn't making a specific gesture. As it is, he looks like he's leaning up against a railing at a skate park.

Don't get me wrong, it is not an ugly image or "bad." It's just not Thrawn.

18. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I will address each of these your points individually..

First off, the hair. I used this picture as the reference for his hair style, it is messy here because of the windy conditions that would have been present at his promotion.

Age wise he should appear as late 30's to early 40's here. Which in my opinion, he does. The Chiss do not follow the same genetic rules as we do when it comes to their aging process, and neither do most humans in the GFFA for that matter. (example - Luke Skywalker around age 60.)

As for the pose, he's walking down a set of stairs(pictured in the bottom left of the photo). I see dozens of military members walk down the stairs every day, not once have I seen them do it with their back "ramrod" straight, shoulders squared, or chin jutting out. Don't even get me started on the military baring of officers, it seems to appear less and less as they climb the ranks.

Evil.

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

In all seriousness, though, I would like to see how you create your images, Wiggins. It's nice to see different techniques, and I'd like to experiment with new methods of coloring. :)

Evil_King_Wiggins likes this.
  20. Evil Incarnate

Aug 18, 2003
    I have several projects in progress right now that I have not done progress pictures for, so I will start working on the walkthrough with whatever my next new project is. :)

Evil.

TrakNar likes this.
  21. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    I'm doing a DARK LORD collection,a collection of sketches of scenes & characters in James Luceno's book,ive put 3 of them in my thread,as of yet.

this one's Jula,Roan Shryne's mother.
    since i love the character,i decided to put this work here as my 4th EU work.

[i used Mr. Luceno's describtions of her,given in the book (like her white lock of hair, etc.) & designed the outfit & added some accesories.

i drew the blaster pistol from a model i had of it,ddnt at all ,want to give her a made up weapon.]

-HB Pencil,PS for the texts & some burns & dodges-

[​IMG]

22. Phil Lowe

Phil Lowe Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2013
    Wow..there have been some great entries! I was hoping to have mine done sooner, and keep up with the new stuff here but the day job got in the way.
    Anyway, here's my version of Bo-Katan.

http://fav.me/d6fzsi9

I just started watching the Clone Wars, and haven't actually gotten to the episodes with her in them. I also have no idea what the inside of her ship looks like, this just seemed like a fun pose.

Darth Loocas and Rebecca_Daniels like this.
  23. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    i decided to put 2 other of my dark lord collection pieces in the challenge,

(with thanks to CO for the consult on whether i could or should put them here or not-specially the vader/shryne one,i wasnt sure if it fits within the challenge)...

24. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    [Dark Lord Collection] #4
    Master Roan Shryne (in his smuggler suit) confronts Lord Vader on a bridge in alderaan,when trying to help senator fang zar escape...
    -HB pencil,PS for the texts,saber & some burns & dodges-

[​IMG]

25. Darth Loocas

Jun 14, 2013
    [Dark Lord Collection] #5This is Olee Starstone,padawan to zabrak master chatak,after her death, Olee was left in the care of master Roan Shryne...
    She was so passionate about finding & uniting the jedi whom survived Order 66,but Shryne tried to convince her to trust the will of the force...
    -HB pencil,PS for the texts,shirt blue overlay,& some burns & dodges-
    [​IMG]