main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Events ~The EU Challenge Season 3~ {A Fan Art / EU Crossover Competition} - Status - Closed

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Corellian_Outrider, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    The EU Challenge (EUC/FanArt Competition) Season 3

Welcome to the year 2014 and to bring in the new year, Adalia-Durron and myself have brought about the return of the EU Challenge for our two forums for a third season.

The subject matter will be the Expanded Universe, though with the large collection of wonderful characters, it makes it hard to select which ones to add to the list… so we'll leave that up to you to make the choice of which ones that will appear on the list.

So head on over to the poll in the EUC and vote for which character you think should deserve the honour to be featured in the Art Challenge. Once the poll ends, I'll post up the winners and the art side of the challenge begins.

2. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Welcome!

The Fan Art Challenge returns yet again with another special edition: The EU Challenge - Season 3. The main idea of the challenge is not to be a contest to beat out your fellow artists, but an outlet in which we can all grow and explore new ideas and possibilities together. So, here we go...

[COLOR=red][B]What is the Official Fan Art Challenge?[/B][/COLOR]

A place for artists and fans alike to participate in quarterly themed drawing exercises.

[COLOR=red][B]Who can participate?[/B][/COLOR]

The challenge is open to anyone and all skill levels. It doesn't matter if you can paint like Picasso or you can only draw a simple stick figure, you're more than welcomed to participate.

[COLOR=red][B]How does the challenge work?[/B][/COLOR]

Any medium is accepted and as I said above, all skill levels are welcomed. You are free to submit a simple sketch or a finished piece of art.

[hl=black][COLOR=red][B][U]The layout has changed for this version of the challenge:[/U][/B][/COLOR][/hl]

The theme is characters of the Expanded Universe, a choice of twelve candidates has already been decided by a [URL='http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-eu-challenge-a-fan-art-eu-crossover-competition-status-voting-process.50017825/']poll in the EU Community[/URL]. To participate, you choose which one you would like to take on and post the number from between 1 to 12. If a choice that you had wanted to take on has been taken, you may also select that choice. You may choose to do a second one however you must complete and post your first choice before you can take on another.

You will have until the end of the year to complete and post your artwork/s.

[COLOR=red][B]Where should I post my challenge entries?[/B][/COLOR]

Right here to this thread. I want to keep all the entries in one place, but as always, you're more than welcomed to post them to your individual threads as well.

[COLOR=red][B]Are critiques allowed?[/B][/COLOR]

The short answer is yes. Let's remember to keep things within the TOS and to keep things positive and constructive. Critiques are meant to help an artist, not tear into them like there is no tomorrow.

[COLOR=red][B]How will voting work?[/B][/COLOR]

At the end of the time period, all the entries will be gathered together and voted on by your peers. This is not meant to be a serious contest, but a way to give back to the community for all the time and effort you put into this place. The entry with the highest amount of hits at the end of the voting period will be awarded something special.

If you have any questions or would like to suggest a topic for a future challenge, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM!

Special thanks to [B]HanSolo29[/B] for developing the original Fan Art Challenges format and to [USER=884062]Adalia-Durron[/USER] for coordinating on this cross over opportunity!

[hr]

[hl=black][COLOR=red][B][U]Expanded Universe Challenge Candidates:[/U][/B][/COLOR][/hl]

#1 Tycho Celchu
    #2 Yuuzhan Vong - TrakNar, The Hellhammer
    #3 Winter
    #4 Prince Xizor
    #5 Tenel Ka
    #6 Bardan Jusik - Corellian_Outrider
    #7 Gaerial Captison
    #8 Droma
    #9 Soontir Fel - Corellian_Outrider
    #10 Mission Vao - Rebecca Daniels
    #11 Bastila Shan
    #12 Nomi Sunrider

[hl=black][COLOR=red][B][U]Due Date:[/U][/B][/COLOR][/hl] 17th April

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'll take a Vong. Any Vong. Preferably one with as wrinkly a face as I can draw.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Hey, I can give the Vong a try. Never tried doing one, could be interesting. I'll get back to you when I have something to show for it.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I'll be taking a shot at drawing Soontir Fel for my first piece. We'll see how we go after that.

6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, here's a rough sketch so far... gonna get around to finishing it up nicely in the next week or so, a bit pressed for time now.

[​IMG]

7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I've wrapped up my Fel piece

Soontier Fel and Wynssa Starflare.

[​IMG]

8. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
    This challenge is the neatest thing. I've kept a watch on the thread, returning to it posthaste on Saturday when I received notice of an update. I've been back several times since, trying to figure out how to phrase a... review? (Would that be the term?)

And failing.

Because, you see, I can't draw for beans. So I don't know how to praise line or shading or texture. Don't know the lingo at all.

I only know what I like.

And I like this Fel piece. I like that he's less chiseled and über-perfect than in the comics. I like the humanity in his face. I love that we got not only Fel, but also his lady.

In short: Bravo! I can't wait to see what else comes of this challenge.

9. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you for your kind words and critique Luminous beings are we...

It is lovely to hear you were moved by the piece and are enjoying the challenge. :) I too look forward to what everyone else is working on.

After a fair bit of research, I have decided to do Bardan Jusik for my next piece.

10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Just a heads up that the deadline looms nearer. Anyone is welcome to jump in.

If anyone is experiencing a set back, I am open to pushing the deadline back a bit to accommodate for that.

11. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Oh man, I really wanted to participate this time but I forgot the deadline was so soon :( I was planning to attempt Mission Vao, I'll see about maybe this weekend trying a sketch.

12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I know the feeling, I'm not sure if I will be able to get my next piece in before deadline.

I hope you do get a chance to work on Mission as she is an awesome character. I can extend the deadline for another week or so if need be.

13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Due to deadlines and DRL, I am postponing this challenge for another fortnight to give everyone a bit more time to work on their pieces.

14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have finished Tycho Celchu

[​IMG]

Tarsier and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  15. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Nice work on Tycho, earlybird! :)

I've completed another piece

[​IMG]

Another day to go before the challenge wraps up for voting.

16. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Hope everyone had a safe and great holiday weekend.

Challenge will be closed once the Voting thread is up. Any last pieces, let me know.

17. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    And with a last minute slide in before the deadline (hopefully)... It's rough, I'm tired so my everything is worse than usual, but have some Mission Vao doing some ship repairs. Unfortunately an iPhone picture but I don't have the capability to do better at the moment.

[​IMG]

Tarsier and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I am in the same boat as you with using the iPhone for traditional mediums. Mission does look lovely and she did make it in before the deadline :)

Voting thread is up and running, Season 3 is officially closed.