main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Events ~The EU Challenge Season 4~ {A Fan Art / EU Crossover Competition}- Status - Closed

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Corellian_Outrider, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    The EU Challenge (EUC/FanArt Competition) Season 4

Wow, it has been a while since we last had this. We are now in the same year the new film will be released and so many things to look forward to along the way. Bardan_Jusik and myself have brought about the return of the EU Challenge for our two forums for another season.

The subject matter will be the Expanded Universe, though with the large collection of wonderful characters, it makes it hard to select which ones to add to the list… so we'll leave that up to you to make the choice of which ones that will appear on the list.

So head on over to the poll in the EUC and vote for which character you think should deserve the honour to be featured in the Art Challenge. Once the poll ends, I'll post up the winners and the art side of the challenge begins.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    So happy to see this back again. Lots of good characters to choose from.

[​IMG]

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  3. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Welcome!

The Fan Art Challenge returns yet again as special edition: The EU Challenge - Season 4. The main idea of the challenge is not to be a contest to beat out your fellow artists, but an outlet in which we can all grow and explore new ideas and possibilities together. So, here we go...

[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080][B]What is the Official Fan Art Challenge?[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080]A place for artists and fans alike to participate in quarterly themed drawing exercises.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080][B]Who can participate?[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080]The challenge is open to anyone and all skill levels. It doesn't matter if you can paint like Picasso or you can only draw a simple stick figure, you're more than welcomed to participate.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080][B]How does the challenge work?[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080]Any medium is accepted and as I said above, all skill levels are welcomed. You are free to submit a simple sketch or a finished piece of art.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080][B][U]The layout has changed for this version of the challenge:[/U][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080]The theme is characters of the Expanded Universe, a choice of twelve candidates has already been decided by a [URL='http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-eu-challenge-a-fan-art-eu-crossover-competition-status-poll.50026644/']poll in the EU Community[/URL]. To participate, you choose which one you would like to take on and post the number from between 1 to 12. If a choice that you had wanted to take on has been taken, you may also select that choice. You may choose to do a second one however you must complete and post your first choice before you can take on another.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080]You will have until the end of the year to complete and post your artwork/s.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080][B]Where should I post my challenge entries?[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080]Right here to this thread. I want to keep all the entries in one place, but as always, you're more than welcomed to post them to your individual threads as well.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080][B]Are critiques allowed?[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080]The short answer is yes. Let's remember to keep things within the TOS and to keep things positive and constructive. Critiques are meant to help an artist, not tear into them like there is no tomorrow.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080][B]How will voting work?[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080]At the end of the time period, all the entries will be gathered together and voted on by your peers. This is not meant to be a serious contest, but a way to give back to the community for all the time and effort you put into this place. The entry with the highest amount of hits at the end of the voting period will be awarded something special.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080]If you have any questions or would like to suggest a topic for a future challenge, please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM![/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080]Special thanks to [B]HanSolo29[/B] for developing the original Fan Art Challenges format and to [USER=1358695]Bardan_Jusik[/USER] for helping organise this cross over opportunity![/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080][hr][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080][B][U]Expanded Universe Challenge Candidates:[/U][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080]#1 Mandalore the Preserver (Canderous Ordo)[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#008080]#2 Garik "Face" Loran[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#008080]#3 HK-47[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#008080]#4 Borsk Fey'lya[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#008080]#5 Ysanne Isard[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#008080]#6 Gilad Pellaeon[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#008080]#7 Etain Tur-Mukan[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#008080]#8 Zayne Carrick[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#008080]#9 Bomo Greenbark[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#008080]#10 Ania Solo[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#008080]#11 Callista[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#008080]#12 The Nightsisters[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008080][B][U]Due Date:[/U][/B] 30th July[/COLOR]

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  4. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Okay, I am torn between Ordo, Pellaeon, Carrick, Face and Solo… I'll do a few sketches and see which direction it takes me before I confirm which one.

5. Naeriel

Naeriel Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2015
    12. The Nightsisters, likely specifically Kyrisa.

6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I forgot to update here that I'm working on Garik "Face" Loran + co.

7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm extending this till the end of April so if there is anyone else keen are more than welcome to jump in.

8. Darth Ukendt

Darth Ukendt Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2015
    I'll take Pellaeon.

9. Darth Ukendt

Darth Ukendt Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2015
    [​IMG]

And I'm done.

10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Thank you Darth Ukendt for your Pellaeon piece.

If anyone is interested, I can extend the deadline further.

EDIT: Extension till July.

11. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    @Corellian_Outrider Are we allowed to use existing art work? I was thinking about doing Ania Solo but my drawing skills are somewhat.....elusive. Is it okay to base it off comic art covers? I mean those look stunning anyway. tag me if you reply

12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002

Heya Darthmaul208

Did you mean if you are allowed to base the likeness of the character off existing works? If so, then you can do that. You are welcome to use other sources to base the composition off and use as references to assist in the creation of your artwork.

That said, it is required that the art is of your own creation (that you are the one that created the piece, not use someone else's). If elements of another's work does end up being used/sampled in your own work (using their background, assets,etc) then credit must be given where credit is due.

I hope that answers the question.

Drawing is like a muscle that requires exercise. If you or anyone else for that matter require some tips or feedback or anything, always welcome to ask as well. :)

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  13. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    @Corellian_Outrider I was thinking of basing it off the comic covers(S). Such as this:
    [​IMG]

I might add a background not sure but I'll make sure to cite the source.Am I allowed to do it in any style? I might ask you another time about some Ahsoka art I did a lot of Moons ago and others. I ground to a halt and haven't looked back so it's likely bad but. it was fun to do. I'll try and get this done in time. Tell me does she wield a Lightsaber? haven't actually read the series!

14. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Darthmaul208

That be nice. I believe that Ania Solo wields a blaster instead of a lightsaber. You are welcome to whichever art style you wish to do it in/comfortable with, there is no right or wrong in that regard. As long as you are having fun with it, that is the main thing :)

That be great to see your previous works too. You are welcome to send me a PM or post up an art thread when you are ready.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  15. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    @Corellian_Outrider I have a mess around. Of course it won't be for some time as I'm in the middle of exams. I have some fun with it and do some trials. I'll converse with you in the future. Thank You.

16. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Darthmaul208 You're welcome :) All the best for the exams, hope they go well. Looking forward to seeing what you'll create.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  17. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    If you're still accepting new entries, I'd also like to sign up for #2 Face, please. For a while I wasn't sure if I'd be able to get to it, but my rough draft sketch is almost done so I feel a bit more confident about finishing in time. :)

18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002

Always welcome. I'm still working on mine, had a few setbacks myself but should make it on time

19. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I finished my entry for Face. Here's the thumbnail of it, called "Oyah." Face is in the middle.

[​IMG]

I'm still a beginner to colored pencils, as I'm much more comfortable with graphite, but it was fun playing with the Yokel Group. :)

20. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    My Entry:
    [​IMG]

Ania Solo from Legacy.
    Go easy on me this is one of the first "completed" (I would have liked to colour it) pieces. Constructive criticism welcome.

21. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Okay, it is time to draw this to a close (Edit: No pun intended there). This challenge will close once the voting thread is up. Any last minute piece will be accepted until then.