main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The EU doesn't wait!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kwenn, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    The EU authors and publishers don't wait for new SW facts before making EU products, and then they will probably contain non-continuiity mistakes.
    The big SW Encyclopaedia (I forget it's name) came out right before TPM, but didn't include anything from TPM, and got some facts wrong, which, had they waited until after TPM, they would have then corrected.
    And the Jedi Apprentice SE's, if they contain extra stuff about Anakin, shouldn't they wait until after EpII? That way they won't get a load of EU bashers come along in a few months and start on them.
    I do like the EU, but there's no rush to get the books out! Just relax!

2. Sjorensly

Sjorensly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2001
    ok so what kind of response are you expecting ???

I sorta agree......but then again.....

3. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    There are things called deadlines.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep. There are also thins known as:

Star Wars Encyclopaedia: Updated Edition, Star Wars Guide X 3rd Edition.

Why kill a money maker by waiting to be up to date?

:)

Jedi 'cynical ex-politics student' Ben

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Of course the EU doesn't wait. If the EU waited then the EU would be nonexistent. It wouldn't have been until 2005 or so before the 1st EU product could be produced if it waited.

By virtue of being the "expanded" universe, the EU doesn't have to wait. There are no contradictions, because the EU is simply an expansion. If something that some may perceive as a contradiction occurs, then it is merely an exception to the rule of the movie. The movies are a very small window into a huge universe. What we see when we look through that window is the story of Anakin Skywalker. However, there's literally an unlimited number of EU stories which stand to be told, looking through different non-AS windows.

Rules of two, jedi marriages, clone wars dating - all of these will in no way be contradicted or contradict anything, because the EU can merely offer a contrived explanation for them to be how they are.

Whether good or bad, the EU has rolled and will roll on without the movies. Because by its nature, the EU doesn't necessarily need the movies, so why wait for something you don't necessarily require.

6. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    I guess so, but if new updates are brought out every so often, it will only fuel EU bashers even more, which is what I was talking about.

7. skyra

skyra Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 9, 2001
    <<The EU authors and publishers don't wait for new SW facts before making EU products, and then they will probably contain non-continuiity mistakes.
    The big SW Encyclopaedia (I forget it's name) came out right before TPM, but didn't include anything from TPM, and got some facts wrong, which, had they waited until after TPM, they would have then corrected.
    And the Jedi Apprentice SE's, if they contain extra stuff about Anakin, shouldn't they wait until after EpII? That way they won't get a load of EU bashers come along in a few months and start on them.
    I do like the EU, but there's no rush to get the books out! Just relax! >>

EU to me is a different era altogether and has it's own set of rules. While characters and plots from one timeline can ultimately affect something in a later timeline, each is able to stand on its own. But, it really boils down to profit. The marketing people know fans are hungry for new stuff while we wait endlessly for Episode II to come out. And, there will always be someone out there who helps make the bottom line get bigger. Like me.<ggg> Proud contributor to the Lucasfilm empire!

8. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    A book is finished before it is published, and the EU is moving fast. Changes cannot be made in time.

9. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Skyra--

Excuse me if I misunderstand this sentence...

EU to me is a different era altogether and has it's own set of rules.

How is the EU a different era???

The large majority of comics and games take place during the six-episode movie saga, or just before or after it. Even if you just limited your reference to adult novels, nearly one-third of the novels take place before RotJ or during that movie.

Likewise--

While characters and plots from one timeline can ultimately affect something in a later timeline, each is able to stand on its own.

With the exception of a few things relegated to "Infinities," all Star Wars material takes place in a single timeline.

Could you clarify what you mean?

10. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Pretty much everything in the EU makes refrences to alot of the rest of the EU.

If you remove one unit those refrences still remain, and would cause a domino effect.

So one can't pick and choose the EU.

11. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't think that's what he was saying, (although he does come close,) I think he was just stating that each era of the EU stands well on it's own, (which is true, if you think about it.)

TC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.