main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The EU going the ''Star Trek'' route?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sith_Knight087, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Marc McAllister

Marc McAllister Jedi Padawan

Mar 14, 2013
    I liked Traitor.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Based on what you've just said about half the stuff Lucas himself has done, it sounds like the problem isn't you don't like the EU but that you're just not overly keen on Star Wars in general. :p

3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    So basically you haven't liked anything Star Wars since 1983?

Exactly the fanbase Disney might be aiming at :p

Zeta1127, Zorrixor and Esg like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm going to reiterate the PP who said that he would buy what he was interested in, and leave the rest. That's what I do now, that's what I'll do with the ST. I think intentionally steamrolling the EU just for the sake of steamrolling the EU, which Filoni did a few times (see: Barriss Offee) when there are certainly other storytelling options--and there are--is an ***holish move and a way to give the middle finger to people who spent their money on it. But at the same time I'm not so attached to most EU stories that I would boycott the ST if Han and Leia had a kid whose name wasn't Jacen, Jaina or Anakin, or if the villain was someone other than the Vong.

Also, and I doubt I'm the only one feels this way: there are EU plot points and characters that I would like to see, and those that I hope never appear again either in print or on film.

Thrawn: I would love to somehow excise that man's obnoxious blue head from my memory. I think I will avoid the ST if he does appear in it.

Mara Jade: If Luke marries a redhead with that name in the ST, I hope she is written completely differently, because she hasn't appeared in a single book without getting on my last damn nerve.

On the other hand...

The Vong: Hands down, by far, the most deliciously creepy villains I have ever read. Disdain for technology but with the ability to manipulate both biological structures and the gravitational pull of entire planets. I have gotten goosebumps reading their scenes even while sitting next to a swimming pool with an in-house air temperature over 85 degrees.

I would love it if they appeared in the ST.

5. Marc McAllister

Mar 14, 2013

No i do like the E.U that I've read from Edge of Victory I: Conquest until Allies, so I've read from 26 ABY until 42 ABY, I only missed Ylesia, The Apprentice, Equals and Opposites and Or Die Trying, I've read everything else from that period, but i only read them because i hoped there would be another trilogy focusing on Ben, so i always judged them on their potential to be turned into a SW film. My favourite book is Traitor. My favourite series is The Dark Nest Trilogy. I would have loved for Ben to be Jacen's Sith apprentice in a movie, and it had a great start, but it was anti-climatic. Disney should start from scratch. :-B

6. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Disneyland surveying for Star Wars park

Of particular note:
    Hope endures! :p

Zorrixor likes this.
  7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Of course, by books they are referring to the Jar Jar Cook Book, and surveying whether or not you will want to eat a Gungan Fish Stick.

Arawn_Fenn and Gorefiend like this.
  8. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Call me crazy but i actually completely agree with this.

I've read Dark Nest 5 times.

Marc McAllister likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Now that's really cool.

10. Marc McAllister

Mar 14, 2013
    Thank you. I have good taste.

11. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Thank you. I have good taste.[/quote]

It's the first time i've seen someone else who likes it. Everyone on this forum seems to hate it, and think Denning is a bad author, which I don't understand at all.

Regardless of where he may or may not have "steered" the post-ROTJ EU, his books are usually the ones I look forward to the most and are the most enjoyable to read.

12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    You know, I'm starting to think going the 'Star Trek route' is going to be our best, and perhaps not even ensured, option. The ST won't adhere to the EU, and I'm not sure Disney would even let the EU do its own thing anymore. So if SWEU is going 'the Star Trek route', count me very relieved.

darklordoftech and V-2 like this.
  13. Marc McAllister

Mar 14, 2013
    It's the first time i've seen someone else who likes it. Everyone on this forum seems to hate it, and think Denning is a bad author, which I don't understand at all.

Regardless of where he may or may not have "steered" the post-ROTJ EU, his books are usually the ones I look forward to the most and are the most enjoyable to read.[/quote]
    Star by Star is awesome too, and Tempest, Inferno and Invincibile. I love books featuring Dark Jedi and Grey Jedi, because i think Anakin was the Chosen One and by extension all Skywalkers are too, and the Sith should not be in Episode VII. I think Jacen was a Grey Jedi from Traitor until he killed Ailyn Vel, and that's when he became a Dark Jedi. It'd be nice to see Luke stop evil from taking over the world. IMO

14. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    I love Denning as an author, but The Dark Nest Trilogy was boooooorrinnngg!