main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions The EU is quite impressive in its sheer depth

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Ezekial, Dec 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    Think about it. With Star Wars, we have a universe that spans thousands of years, generations of heroes, written by dozens of authors, novels, comic books, games, and each of those little narratives have their place in the greater overarching universe.

The only other thing I can think of that is remotely close is...the Bible. Even popular universes like...Lord of the Rings, or Twilight, have just a few official works that fans cling to. And, IMO, they don't have the sheer creativity I often see in EU novels, where you see the personalities of different authors in the SAME UNIVERSE.

Now, of course, there are the Marvel and DC universes.

But...I dunno, they don't seem to be as compelling for me.

spicer likes this.
  2. Candy_Cane_Lips

Candy_Cane_Lips Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2008
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Star Trek suffers from having a Wiki full of non canon stuff. Which makes it painful to follow. The only other franchise as sizeable is Doctor Who, I suppose. Marvel and DC have had reboots - DC; hard reboots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Doctor Who is huge. Not sure it has as many writers though.

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Between the literature over five decades? Possibly more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    True. I've barely scratched the surface of any of it so it's quite possible. Such a fun thought. :D

7. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Stargate is fairly large (no touch on Who or ST though). The movie, the books based in the same universe as said movie (now non-canon), SG-1/Atlantis/Universe/Infinity-as-much-as-I-wish-it-didn't-exist, and books for the three live-action series.

Considering its nowhere near as old as any of the other big names, its got quite a bit of things. Oh, I forgot the RPGs :p

8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
  9. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    What I like about Star Wars is that the sandbox is so big. The movies are just the tip of the iceberg.
    My favorite Star Wars books are actually the bestiaries and chronologies. What kind of stories aren't being told, given the variety of inhabitants in the GFFA?
    Despite what happened with the Clone Wars (I will always prefer the novels) Star Wars has better continuity than other big franchises.
    Though I personally wouldn't mind chucking out some of the sloppier alien designs (mermaids and centaurs, yellow not-Asians)

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Jedi Master Cheve

Jedi Master Cheve Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2014
    [face_thinking]

What?

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.