main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The EU Senate: Banned in Twelve Systems

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by NaboosPrincess, Jan 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
      Welcome to the new home of the Expanded Universe Senate (EUS)! This is where all the senators from member threads of the EUS meet to discuss issues involving the community. You can find a list of all the threads that currently belong to the EUS below. Our goal, simply put, is to use the input of the people of the EUS to make it a better place. We have initiated things like the Trivia Contest, EUC Awards, and the EUCNN to bring the community together. To this end, we always need help! Posting in this thread is not limited to senators. If you have an opinion on a topic we are discussing, or a topic you think we ought to discuss, bring it up! If you?d rather not post, feel free to PM any senator or member of the EUS administration. The more input we get, the more things we can do for the forum. Thanks for stopping by, and may the Force be with you!

More information about the EUS can be found here

2. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    The EU Senate Constitution

I. AUTHORITY
    1. The Chancellor
    a. Casts two votes or has the option of "No Opinion."
    b. May call Senate Discussions.
    c. Chief ambassador to all elements within the JC.
    d. Cannot also serve as senator of a thread. He/she must appoint a new senator to represent his/her thread while serving as Chancellor.
    e. Any Senator may call for a vote of "No Confidence" in the Chancellor. If three Senators second the movement, the Chancellor or any Senator will have the option of addressing the Senate, then it will go to a Senators-only vote. If 3/4 of the votes cast are in favor of removing the Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor will take his/her place until a new Chancellor can be elected. When a new Chancellor is elected, he/she may choose to appoint new Aides and Ministers.
    f. The Chancellor's term shall last ninety days from the day the vote ends and a winner is announced. He/she may serve no more than three consecutive terms. No more than a week before the Chancellor's term is up, new candidates will be elected and a new vote taken. If a new Chancellor is elected, he/she must be ready to take the position the day the former Chancellor hands over the office.

2. The Vice Chancellor
    a. Casts one vote.
    b. Cannot also serve as senator of a thread. He/she must appoint a new senator to represent his/her thread while serving as Vice Chancellor
    c. In the event of the Chancellor's absence, serves as Acting Chancellor, and may choose a Minister to be Acting Vice Chancellor
    b. In the event of the Chancellor's absence, serves as Acting Chancellor.

3. The Ministry
    a. There will be:
    • Minister of Public Affairs:
      The Minister of Public Affairs' duties include the organisation and promotion of EU Senate projects and games in the EU Community forum, the co-ordination of external volunteers within the Senate, the arbitration of any disputes between EUS member threads, and the introduction of new threads and Senators into the EU Senate. The Minister of Public Affairs is expected to send new Senators introductory PMs that briefly outline their obligations and roles within the EU Senate, and is expected to assist threads that wish to join the EU Senate in any way possible.
    • Minister of Intelligence:
      The Minister of Intelligence's duties include the supervision and observation of all EU Senate representatives and member threads, specifically focusing on thread activity and Senator contributions to the Senate and their thread. The Minister is required to keep a log that briefly summarises thread and Senator activity, and they are to present their observations in a weekly report to the Chancellor and/or current chair of Senate Discussion. The Minister of Intelligence is expected to make judicious use of Ministerial Aides to assist them in completing their duties, and the application of these aides is left up to each individual Minister to manage.
    • Minister of Internal Affairs:
      The Minister of Internal Affairs' duties include the moderation of the EU Senate thread, the mediation of any internal disputes between EU Senate members, the regulation and enumeration of all EU Senate votes, and the operation of the EU Senate PM notification system. The Minister of Internal Affairs is expected to inform all Senators, through the EUS_Update sock, of current EU Senate issues, discussion surrounding the topics of upcoming votes, and all other information that the Chancellor or chair of Senate Discussion deems important.

b. All Ministers are equal.
    c. Ministers are equal to all Senators.
    d. Ministers may hold any other position within in the EUS, with the exception of the Chancellor.
    e. Ministers are appointed by the Chancellor

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's nice to see some new decor and a fresh thread.

Hopefully it'll attract the attention of more aspiring senators. :)

4. CptCorranHorn

CptCorranHorn Jedi Master star 5

Oct 16, 2002
    hopefully it gets more "regular" posters to get interested

5. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    Cool new thread, good job Naboos and Mitt.

I have a question, what is the current situation with the social threads. Last time I was involved there was some issue with the amount of them around, has that been resolved?

6. Csillan_girl

Csillan_girl Jedi Master star 5

May 6, 2003
    So I'm allowed to post here as a regular member if I've got something important to say??

Good to know!!

7. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I think the consensus was to hold the number of Social threads to what it is now?

8. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    D-D: The issue with the social threads is now that there are about 8 or so in EUC, whereas there used to be a limit of 3. [face_plain] This issue really hasn't been resolved as it's more up to Genghis than us to decide.

Excellent job, NP and Mitth! Nice name as well. :D

Anyways, current business. We need to work out the details of the Scavenger Hunt. So far:

• Contestants will compete in teams of perhaps 3-4, possibly with specific places (e.g. Newbie, Oldbie, etc.)
    • For the first few times, there might be a "sign-up" game, and one where contestants get to form their own teams
    • Contestants will be given a list of things they have to "find" around the EU section of the boards, TFN, and the Internet
    • The winner will be judged on how long it takes them to find the items, from reading the PM to sending back the list of things they have successfully found. The winners will be the team that finds everything and gets their competed list back in in the shortest amount of time
    • Winners will be given one week's VIP status, and a title that reads "EUC Scavenger Hunt Winner", or something to that effect
    • Teams will have a time limit of approximately 2-3 weeks to find everything, so that they can get their team organised online via PMs/IM so that everyone can find something on the list
    • This is about all I can remember. Anything else?

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Pretty much, yes. We don't seem to have too much a problem with them right now, but we had agreed that any more would be too many.

Iron-Fist: Thank you for that reminder. :)

However, I must point out that it's up to the Chancellor to decide what business is on the table. In the future, please wait for her to bring it up. Thanks.

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Whew, markups are a pain in the butt! But at least the second post now looks nice and organized.

[b]Scavanger Hunt[/b]

[blockquote][i]For the first few times, there might be a "sign-up" game, and one where contestants get to form their own teams[/i][/blockquote]

They should be able to form their own teams among those who joined during sign up. If we have a problem the host can assign whats left.

[blockquote][i]The winner will be judged on how long it takes them to find the items, from reading the PM to sending back the list of things they have successfully found. The winners will be the team that finds everything and gets their competed list back in in the shortest amount of time[/i][/blockquote]

I dont like this part. The questions should have points and more than one set of questions too. The harder the question the more points the team earns if right.

11. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    However, I must point out that it's up to the Chancellor to decide what business is on the table. In the future, please wait for her to bring it up. Thanks.

OK. My apologies. :)

EDIT: I would also like to thank Deak_Alder for coming up with this most excellent name for the new Senate. :D

12. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    CmdrMitthrawnuruodo: "Whew, markups are a pain in the butt! But at least the second post now looks nice and organized."

Welcome to my world... 8-}

No matter, this is a great thread you have constructed for us; ol' wise NaboosPrincess :D . On the matter of the game, now you said "Newbies/Oldbies" does that mean that it will be a team of 4 with 2 Noobs and 2 Elders? :confused:

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Settles into his office

Well, this is nice. So, is the scavenger hunt on the table?

14. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I think we agreed that the teams should be a mix of newbies, olbies and midbies.

15. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    I'm glad you guys like the thread. :)

Special thanks to Deak_Alder for the title and to Mitth for making the second post look so great.

And yes, planning for the scavenger hunt is on the table.

16. Deak_Alder

Deak_Alder Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2003
    I'm just glad I coulld help with the name. I feel special now.

17. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Daughter_of_Yubyub: "I think we agreed that the teams should be a mix of newbies, olbies and midbies."

Would it not have been easier to just state, "Game open to all within the EUC"? :confused:

18. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I don't like how the time starts when someone opens the pm. Say im on one team. The question is sent at 9pm right as I leave, i take a quick look and don't sign on until 5 the next day.

I think that the process needs some improvements, even if I can't think of many ways myself.

19. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    It was an improvement over the timezone trouble.

And the olbie/midbie/newbie mix isn't because it's (obviously) open to all, but to avoid all olbie teams.

20. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    The new EUS looks good. Great job, guys.

21. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    looks good guys. [face_devil]

Senator of Yuuzhan'tar

22. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    The New Senate looks wonderful you guys! You know I can't remember who my aides are.....and One of them I think is warmaster Dan, but he hasn't posted in ages......

should I choose new ones to be on the safe side?

23. NaboosPrincess

May 14, 2001
    The website says WarmasterDan is your aide, Jedi_Liz. You might want to try PMing him, but if he's long gone then I'd say go ahead and find someone else. You can have more than one aide, so if he comes back he can still be an aide. :)

24. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    It was an improvement over the timezone trouble

Like I said, a point system would be better than to see who gets the answers in fast enough.

25. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Warmaster Dan is still here, he just posts as Sniper_Wolf...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.