Senate The European Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DANNASUK, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Violent Violet Menace JCC moderator

Manager
    star 5
    So, there have been riots in Paris' Chinese district after police fatally shot a Chinese (or Chinese-French, if you prefer) father of five in a questionable manner. Video here by EuroNews and article by Reuters. Of course, the lack of any significant coverage of this outside of wire services despite these rioters throwing objects at police and torching cars must mean that in a surprise twist, Chinese people are not Muslims.
  2. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Haven't seen anything here in the UK - news is all Brexit here.
  3. Violent Violet Menace JCC moderator

Manager
    star 5
  4. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    I heard about the incident on Twitter. French police are almost as bad as Americans.
  5. Lord Vivec Force Ghost

star 8
  6. Violent Violet Menace JCC moderator

Manager
    star 5
    Intriguing. Will have to watch that later.
  7. SergeyX2017 Jedi Knight

star 3
    [IMG]

Good for the Chinese :)

Canadian police killed a Russian recently: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/police-involved-shooting-victim-identity-1.4020052

Yet, aside from some indignation online, on Facebook, I have not seen any protests from our community here... I even suggested (along with others) that Russian groups in Toronto, where we are most numerous, should, maybe, approach the local BLM and join their activities. Crickets.

Russians are apathetic as heck at home, what does one expect in diaspora...
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  8. Violent Violet Menace JCC moderator

Manager
    star 5
    We have the same affliction in Iranian society, both at home and in the diaspora. Though, in our case, one can understand their antipathy considering how things turned out last time we did something.

In the diaspora, we prefer to keep our heads down. It's only recently that the Iranian-American community has become politically engaged, for example.
    SergeyX2017 likes this.
  9. Darth_Omega Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Latest poll:

Macron: 23.5% (-2.5)
    Le Pen: 23% (-2)
    Fillion: 18.5% (+1.5)
    Melenchon: 18% (+2)

Well this is getting closer.
    Last edited by Darth_Omega, Apr 7, 2017
  10. Darth_Omega Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  11. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6

France is buggered, regardless of who gets in. Macron has developed the vacuous and meaningless phrases like Obama; he'll have a tough time introducing introducing liberal economic reform to France (which it badly needs) with militant unions.
  12. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    Final poll before first round voting:

[IMG]
  13. yankee8255 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    LePen becoming President might actually be worse than Trump's win. Probably the end of the EU and NATO.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
  14. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 7
    Shooting in Paris. How will this shakeup the race?

Right on the Champs Elysee
    Last edited by ShaneP, Apr 20, 2017
  15. Lord Vivec Force Ghost

star 8
    Either it will have no effect or it will help Le Pen.

IMO, shooting right now isn't reallly going to be a gamechanger politicaly. We're getting a runoff, and Le Pen is going to be one of the two. It's shootings AFTER the first round that'll really help her out.
    Last edited by Lord Vivec, Apr 20, 2017
    ShaneP likes this.
  16. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    Vivec is right. Will only matter - if it occurred in the second round of voting.
  17. yankee8255 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I would think it guarantees LePen as pot in the run-off. And makes me think a further attack before the run-off is a certainty.

18. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    She was guaranteed a place in the run-off regardless. Fillon and others are not strong enough to replace her; Macron is still a red herring because voting turnout is not high among his voters. Le Pen and even Fillon have strong bases, who will turnout on mass to vote.

But, still, I expect the second round to be between Le Pen and Macron.
  19. yankee8255 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Which leaves one thinking the terrorists involved wasted their "shot" so to speak.

20. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't think they care about French politics. Plus, please bare in mind a police officer was killed whilst using the term "wasted their "shot"".
  21. Violent Violet Menace JCC moderator

Manager
    star 5
    They want Le Pen to win. They want confrontation, intolerance, standoff, because they believe that is the true face of the West, and they want to reveal it. They want to be harassed and hated, because then it's easier for them to recruit. They want you to hate them, so that they can feel vindicated about killing you.

The following is anecdotal, but I once spoke with an Islamist fellow about the Israel-Palestine issue, and as you might expect he was going off on an anti-Semitic diatribe that he linked to the state of Israel and it's occupation of Palestine. When I countered that there are Israelis who believe in compromise with Palestinians, Israeli and Jewish organisations that oppose the occupation and work to defend the rights of Palestinians in the occupied territories, he acknowledged that these Jews exist, but the contempt with which he referred to these people was even more passionate than the average Jew he was talking about earlier, referring to them as sellouts and akin to prostitutes. To him, these Jews were even more disgusting, because they were denying their nature. To him, Jews were destined to hate Muslims, and it was their destiny to fight Muslims, and he lamented that they didn't. His frustration was that all Jews don't engage in an all out fight with Muslims right away, so that Muslims would have a justification to kill them all.

Now, people who think like this are of course rare. But they are the kinds of minds that IS attracts. In this particular guy's "defence", this was a Syrian dude I used to know from childhood, who used to be an easy-going kid as far as I knew him, but he lost a lot of family at the hands of government forces in Syria, and I guess this ****** up his mind to become like this. His argument at the time was that IS, the Nusra front and AQ were the only groups that were actually fighting Assad (which is not actually true). This was years ago, and I cut ties with him at that point as I couldn't put up with the BS that came out of his mouth. From what I've heard, he's since mellowed out as things started going better in his life, and he moved out of country. Fortunately, he never committed anything other than verbal support as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Violent Violet Menace, Apr 21, 2017
    Alpha-Red, Point Given and yankee8255 like this.
  22. Lord Vivec Force Ghost

star 8
  23. DANNASUK Force Ghost

star 6
    France's major left wing paper tomorrow..

Translation: "Anyone, but them"

[IMG]
  24. MrMojoRisin Jedi Master

star 4
  25. SuperWatto Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Wouldn't want to what?
    That.