main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The European Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DANNASUK, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    We understand a Prime Minister's powers are less expansive. We also understand he was under no obligation to call for that referendum. He made a political calculation that benefited him and damned the country.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    He clearly was though, because they'd gone into government without the LibDems and thus the Conservative MPs who wanted a vote could start to derail the Government's agenda by crossing the floor.

Does it ever bother you, commenting on the kinds of day to day democratic dealings you have no familiarity with?

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I don't think that the fearmongering bit is an absolute rule; there are plenty of recent counter-examples where the fearmongering side lost (Catalonia, Greece, Hungary to name a few) and in any case I'm not sure why the mobilising bit should be thought of as different from a normal election.

However, even in the scenario where the fearmongering side won, I think that this says more about the evolution of European politics than about the nature of referenda themselves. We've shifted to a political paradigm where fear is a good selling point. When there were referenda about joining the EU ~40 years ago, or about Maastricht for instance, the political debate happened in entirely different terms.

4. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Oh no! They could derail the agenda!

Again, your implicit assumption is that David Cameron somehow deserved to stay in control. He didn't. I fully realize he could've faced internal revolt for not calling a referendum. That's still not an excuse to do so. You're the only person who finds this exculpatory.

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    The Catalonia vote was a bit of a special case given the question of legality/legitimacy. The no vote viewed it as illegal and stayed home.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I also don't judge Tony Blair by Iraq alone; your point?

7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I was using it as an example of bad decision making from the well educated and affluent, which undermines many arguments for limiting the franchise. You then swooped in to claim it was some kind of “Americentrism.” But now that you’ve conceded the point, what exactly were you trying to say? Because I honestly don’t see a coherent message in your posts.

8. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Okay, this is kinda scary...

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...t-brexit-chris-heaton-harris?CMP=share_btn_tw

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Been there, done that.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but now a functioning system of government in a country with a culture is having a crack at it, Alpha.

11. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah well, America is the superpower, so democratic backsliding here is a lot more consequential.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Only if America's ever been truly democratic though.

13. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    European leaders should listen to Sabaton. Great band.

14. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
  15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Glorification of war, and dreaming back to the old days when Sweden was a military superpower?

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would not say that songs like 'Angels Calling', 'The Price of a Mile' and 'En livstid i krig' glorify war.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  17. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Catalan Parliament has declared independence from Spain.

[EDIT]

Spanish Senate has overwhelmingly voted to impose direct rule of Catalonia; Constitutional Court is looking into ways to suspend the UDI.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I have a feeling this won't end well..

19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    The pro-independence movement believes this will force the international community to speak out against Spain.

It won't.

I believe, correct me if I am wrong, but the EU does not recognise UDI and nor does the UN.

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    BBC News. Theresa May has said the UK will not recognize Catalan independence since it was based on a vote declared illegal.

21. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    The United States won't either.

Now, Russia is a potential wildcard. I believe their official position is neutrality, but they could easily change just to throw a spanner in the works.

[edit]

France and Germany back the position of Madrid. However, the Scottish Executive have the won the award for the most bizarre response to it. They support and respect the Catalan Parliament vote, but don't recognise an independent Catalan state.

22. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Putin would probably back Catalan independence simply because he hates the EU. So what if this creates precedent for separatism within Russia itself? Putin's propaganda machine has shown it's more than willing to turn reality upside-down, what with their "humanitarian aid" to Ukrainian separatists and support for the "legitimate" government of Syria.

23. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Entire Catalan government and the head of Catalan police have been sacked. Central government to assume powers of regional executive. Madrid will seek to declare UDI illegal (assuming via Constitutional Court, JoinTheSchwarz?)

Regional elections to be held December 21st.

24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    What happens if they decide they aren't sacked? Cause that's what the Libyan government did and we had a civil war out of it.

25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012

Nobody knows.

The Catalan independent leaders have yet to respond to Madrid's actions.

26. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Lord Vivec

Kind sir, your question has been answered. A sacked Catalan Minister, via Twitter, has said his department will continue working and is ignoring Madrid's direct rule.