main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The European Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DANNASUK, Feb 16, 2017.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Good News for some of the folks in Greece.

Greece will distribute over €1 billion ($1.2 billion) in surplus government funds to families and pensioners that have been hit by austerity, according to Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras. Another €360 million ($422 million) will go to the Public Power Corporation to help ensure that energy prices don't go up in 2018.

Rew, Gamiel, Ghost and 1 other person like this.
  2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    About time Greece got some good news.

Ghost and Chyntuck like this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, that was my feeling. Hopefully Chyntuck will qualify for some of that.

Chyntuck likes this.
  4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    It's definitely good news and for people who are poor enough to qualify for it, it's going to make a real difference – we're talking about €450 for people who earn less than €3000 a year, for instance. My mother-in-law will receive a "bonus" that's more than her monthly pension (which means that we're going to have to fight with her to get her to accept even a single kleenex in the coming couple of months, but that's another story :p ) I'm not eligible for the bonus because my husband has a well-paid job, but the idea that electricity prices won't go up is very welcome news for us too.

5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
  6. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Still a right wing lunatic.

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't think it matters much. Right wing political view isn't something that evil.

8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    The far right, which is what Le Pen and the National Front represent, are quite evil.

DANNASUK likes this.
  9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    But she quit the organization now.

Remember a very large percent of the ppl voted for her aunt, I don't think we can blame on them. I don't blame those who voted for Trump either.

10. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    You mean like all those Germans who said "we didn't know"?

11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    What does it matter if she quit the National Front? She still holds the same terrible views. And the National Front is still the party for those who hold those same terrible views.

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Have bad views isn't something horrible as long as you don't put it into political action. Like 35% of the voters voted for that party in the election.

I don't think National Front is as bad as the Nazis, even Marine was making changes, it isn't that extreme compare to her dad's party.

As for the Germans, sadly yeah, you can say they got some fault and they got to learn from it, but that's all as long as they didn't commit war crimes themselves. I don't see Marion support something like that as well.

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I wonder how many excuses you would be making if Marion was homely or over 40.

14. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Oh, I remember this poster now....he made creepy posts about her during the French Presidential elections.

15. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Yeah, I wanted to post "why don't you marry her, then?" :p

16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Bannon's back at Breitbart. Good for him.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    This is how I view politics.

18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Just because FN or Republicans or some other right-wing outfit isn't as extreme as the Nazis doesn't mean that their supporters don't bear responsibility for their votes. They knew what they were getting, they knew it was wrong, and they did it anyway. There's a word for that kind of behavior, and it's "evil".

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Actually no, people are easy to be fooled and blinded by prejudice/hate and lose their mind, that's why real evil people know how to sway others to their side. It's more like the dark side of humanity, which most of the ppl have it in their mind.

Were those FN voters evil? No unless you say a large percent of the French people were evil. Even the Germans in 1930s weren't evil, just the dark side of them got used by the Nazis and this has happened many times in history.

20. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    FYI JoinTheSchwarz - thought this might interest you.

[​IMG]

Separatists might get a one seat majority, but it seems we're heading for deadlock in the Catalan Parliament.

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What? Yes it is. Thinking that Jews are the devil or that blacks are subhuman or that all Muslims deserve to die is still horrible and deeply wrong, regardless of whether you are a political quietest about it or not. We're supposed to give people credit because they encourage belittling, dehumanizing interactions on an individual basis instead of making it government policy. I don't really think a "bottom-up" approach to bigotry is more laudable than a "top-down" one, since in the end they are still, you know, bigots.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  22. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That's not what FN is about now. Marine Le Pen changed it a lot. Most of her ideas were right wing, but not that kind of evil.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes it is. Come on.

The official uniform of the Klu Klux Klan is also a business suit, and Grand Wizard David Duke ran for governor on a platform of improving the economy. Are you really going to buy into a bunch of superficial cosmetic changes? Do you know how you were mentioning people being fooled into cooperation with the darkest parts of their nature? This is how it happens.

24. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Someone really needs to brush up on how the FN behaviours behind close doors.

25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The difference between the FN of Jean-Marie Le Pen and the FN of Marine Le Pen is that the former spewed outright racist stuff, while the latter holds mostly the same views but operates with dog-whistles instead. If you want to put a positive spin on it, you could say that FN under Marine Le Pen can't 100% be proven to be as racist as under her father. Or you could say that at least Jean-Marie was honest about his views.

Seeing what happens behind the scenes, and the scandals involving her (now former?) right-hand man, it seems rather unlikely that the party truly turned into something more benign. It's not like this strategy is something entirely new. The party already developed a similar concept of acting nice without truly changing the views in the past as well. It's just that it wasn't entirely believable as long as Jean-Marie Le Pen was around, due to his well known positions and constant comments which undermined the attempt.

You can't even say that someone who behaves like that couldn't be like Hitler, because Hitler himself used this very method as well. After his coup attempt failed spectacularly, he changed his entire approach, trying to gain power by using the system instead of trying to overthrow it from the outside. While he was still rather blunt in his words, he was far more careful around the old elites, so as to not repulse them before he had gained control.

People are much more likely to vote for such a party if they can at least pretend that it is a legitimate choice. As long as the party doesn't openly act outside the norm, people can always feign ignorance. It's also one of the reasons why certain authoritarian rulers keep minor extremist parties to their right (or left) around, because this allows them to portray themselves as moderate, with the threat of extremist rule if they were gone.