main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    This is interesting to me, especially because so many people got that impression so I'm curious. I felt that Luke's entire arc was about love of family. That's really it. Luke saved the galaxy because of love for his family. Like Carrie Fisher said inthat BTS video, it's about family. I do feel that Luke wandering on his own fits the character, like how he kept leaving out to find Yoda, but I don't feel that losing touch or failing to go home and just being a hermit/loner fit him at all. It happened, so it's moot, but I haven't given up on the idea that he did have personal connections, deep ones, and that story is still coming. It feels super disconnected to me to have a trilogy about a guy that was all about family, and then take that guy and make him a loner hermit that hides from family.

ChildOfWinds, 4ce and starocean90 like this.
  2. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I'm sorry! :(

I guess one could argue that of Han/Leia too, though.

And I'd say that the last Jedi is in a position of power relative to anyone...

Again, it's assuming a relationship after the termination of the teacher-student dynamic. I'd think a wife who's a Jedi would be on much more of a level playing ground than a non-Force-sensative.

Strongbow likes this.
  3. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    there was nothing presumptuous about it. The whole thing was filled with questions mark. If you find it reads as negative that I can't do anything for you.Nor is having questions mark about the action/path towards a character = to negativity. So now trying to create discussion is negativity?

you quote my entire post yesterday, just to say all the questions mark are presumptions. Why didn't just quote and refute the questions mark or try to give your opinion on them?

how this forum views negativity is beyond me?

@Demsa Aztor
    I'm not talking about your whole negativity/presumptions opinion. I'm talking about the actual Luke discussion from yesterday. All I got is everything you wrote is presumptuous.

4. Demsa Aztor

Demsa Aztor Jedi Master star 4

May 29, 2016
    I gave you my opinions on your post. Moving on.

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  5. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014

Agree. I can get the unknown could cause fear to some fans. But what we already know about Luke in TLJ sounds so good IMO.

Strongbow, Demsa Aztor and Satipo like this.
  6. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    hmmm, finding Yoda was more about helping the Rebellion and his friends by becoming a Jedi (following dad too) and because Kenobi told him to find Yoda. But It's not like he would choose the Jedi path over his friends because he wouldn't. In ESB, he went after them. In ROTJ he was willing to kill himself to save his friends. He beat Vader because of Leia. He also faced Vader because he wanted to redeem him.

whenever Luke wandered in the OT it always to help his friends/Rebellion. Even in ROTJ, he want back to Dagobah, he went because he made a promise to Yoda and the moment it was done, he went back to H/L. So now for 30 years that's all Luke does, wanders from place to place and that's it. And sees H/L less and less, even if he's still a loner. Why does Luke rarely see or contact H/L and is distant from them? LOL we don't even know if Luke was present when Ben was born. The canon books make it seem like "rumor has it Luke was there"? Why? Would Luke really miss out on Ben's birth? Why do the book not confirm whether he was present or not?

ChildOfWinds and AhsokaSolo like this.
  7. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Seriously you'd think he was some sort of superweapon. And they dont seem to be managing expectations, there.

Mostly just about Luke+Rey's relationship. Which would be rather boring if it were all sunshine and flowers...

Satipo likes this.
  8. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think I saw Luke from ESB onwards who clearly lovely his family but is prepared to (on the whole) follow his calling and destiny even if that means taking himself away from his friends. Sure, he rushes to help them in ESB, but this actually almost ends in disaster. In ROTJ he is happy to sacrifice his own happiness/ life if that's what it takes. Yes, a great deal of that was also borne of love for his father, but he was also prepared not to sacrifice his principals in ROTJ. I can buy that he would dedicate himself to passing on what he has learned - and then, when that dream was corrupted, I can see him shouldering the blame and exiling himself to right the wrong. And if what he learns whilst trying to do that makes him think it is time for the Jedi to end - for whatever reason - I can again buy that. What I don't buy is that's the end of his arc. He'll come back at some point (and I think the teaser already hints heavily at this by showing him training Rey despite his initial misgivings). When he says good bye to his father on Endor, I always imagined him heading off into the galaxy without Han and Leia. But maybe that was me latching onto what Kurtz described as the original plan.

9. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Yeah, I have a feeling there are no Knights of Ren in this film.

10. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Maybe Luke already took the KoR down in the past.

I guess the KoR (if they're not on Ach-To at some point) could show up in a Force back again.

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  11. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I forget which book this was mentioned in, but apparently Luke began teaching Leia then just...left.

I suspect he had a very good reason for doing so. Because otherwise this was VERY uncharacteristic. As was him missing Ben's birth (that's remarked upon in one book, too).

It's quite possible Snoke had started hunting Luke. I don't think Snoke suddenly developed this fear of Luke recently...

12. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    If that isnt cool, I've lost all concept of what cool is...

JoJoPenelli

I dont think he "just left" Leia just decided not to pursue further training. At least If I remember correctly.

Gigoran Monk, Demsa Aztor and Satipo like this.
  13. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm Ok with no KoR. I dunno the fact that only Kylo seems to have a lightsaber makes them less interesting. And we seem headed towards a ROTS type. 2 Jedis vs 2 Darksiders.

would be cool to see, a scenario where there was like 7+ Darksiders, vs less heroes. While Luke had his Temple, so did Snoke and with the Jedi wiped out, they all rise. Heck would have increased the chances for Jedi Finn.

Although I would say I prefer the look and weapons of the Praetorians over the KoR. They seem more medieval!

Shadojoker likes this.
  14. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Why are people getting the impression Luke was a "loner"? Now I know it's debatable whether he had an Academy or a "Church" or whatever it was but he had SOMETHING. People or children that he was somewhat responsible for. I'm assuming he had plenty of human interaction and relationships and experienced devastating loss when it was all taken away from him. And he had Ben until that tragedy (although we don't know exactly how long). It seems like he had plenty going on and wasn't alone or a hermit. He then chose to become isolated. Doesn't seem that drastic of a move if he was isolated and a "loner" all along.

As far as Luke being "private" when it comes to his personal life, so was Leia. It was mentioned multiple times in the EU materials. Does that mean more children or secrets when it comes to family? I guess. But it's more likely a practical explanation that those years will be filled in with the EU or through ST reveals and the writers are explaining why it hasn't been touched on yet.

Demsa Aztor, MattOrgana and Satipo like this.
  15. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I mean, I agree in the sense that we don't know yet. I'll wait for the story to be told. However, one interpretation of the new canon is that Luke was a loner, and some people think that fits his character and some don't. Having students doesn't mean he formed personal, familial bonds with them, and it doesn't change the way he seems to have separated himself from Han and Leia after RotJ. Maybe in the final story, it won't be as drastic as it seems, and that was all just to avoid the story until the films could tell whatever stories they want.

I personally do not think they're changing Luke's core of being about family. I think he's spending TLJ with family, I think he suffers because of family guilt, and I think that to whatever extent he wasn't with Leia after RotJ, he felt it was for Leia's benefit. I just don't see them zapping the familial heart out of Luke's skywalker.

16. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Perhaps some find it hard to believe that the SG would include such pivotal events such as Luke marrying and having a child in the ST's backstory.

Of course, Ben was born, trained, fell to the Dark Side and destroyed Luke's temple and apprentices all in the backstory, too.

Which, imo, demonstrates the SG's willingness to relegate major events to backstory. And frankly, I'd have been surprised to find out that little had happened during those 30 years.

Harrison, Mark and Carrie were getting on in years. The huge time jump was basically necessary.

starocean90 likes this.
  17. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    but wasn't it said that Luke kept his life private from the public and Leia, which means everyone. Leia on the other hand was a public figure, she was in politics, constantly in the spotlight. I dunno is the Jedi life and training of others Jedi to be someone's private life? So private even when Ben was sent to Luke? It does seem to be something else.[face_dunno]

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  18. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Pretty, but I'm never going to like the arms. Everything else is great. The arms should be less busy, more traditionally knightly with only two or three segments, not ten.

dekaneas and Satipo like this.
  19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yes! Very good points!

Us not knowing the backstory (split into what seems like a period of 24 years of exploring the galaxy and training Jedi - including his nephew and 6 years after the slaughter) is not even remotely the same as there being no stories to tell of that period, no friendships, loves, adventures, etc.

20. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Luke seems to have been keeping a VERY low profile for all those years, though, and barely had any contact with Leia. Possibly none with Han. I'm sure there was some compelling, external reason for this.

21. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    yeah, that line about those who knew him best is suspicious. It sounded like it didn't even include him. Which is strange. Even the way he talked about him it's as if he hadn't seen him in decades rather than 6 years for example.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  22. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I felt like that was Han being obtuse. "Those who knew him best" definitely included himself.

Knessa84 likes this.
  23. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

I love how it open in their leg

PS: I think Snoke will be like
    [​IMG]

24. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Luke chose to disappear rather than help his friends and family when the galaxy went into turmoil. That, honestly, should have been your first clue that Luke has changed since ROTJ, even without knowing the details of what happened.

I'm not by any means comparing him to the Empire. I don't think he went dark at all, but went too far actually with the light. It's telling that Kylo seems to consider the light to be a seduction that should be resisted, as the dark side was a temptation for Luke in the OT.

It falls on Rey now to sort out this mess. The poster seems to suggest that she will somehow unite them despite their extreme differences, and I'm very interested in finding out how she'll manage to do that.

ManWithoutAStar likes this.
  25. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I think that he chose to disappear because he went looking for an answer. And in that time he may not have found the answer he was looking for.

Mungo Baobab and Demsa Aztor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.