main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017

Then where is the New Republic that Leia had worked her sweat and tears for? Where is the Jedi Order that Luke was promised to build? If they had exist, even crippled but still alive, this would have been less of an issue.

But as far as I can tell, the Starkiller Base did destroy the New Republic in one shot. And Luke is back at being the last Jedi. Everything they have done was ruined and I can most certainly blame it on Kylo Ren for helping the former and doing the later.

That's why many want Rey to be a Skywalker by blood. To at least give some glimmer of hope for the Skywalker legacy when everything else is destroyed.

Had the New Republic stand and honored Leia as a Senator or Chancellor, it would have been fine for Kylo Ren to be her only child. Had Luke Skywalker brought a small band of Jedi to fight against the darkness, it would have been fine for him not to have children because he has something worth living on without him.

2. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Fortunately the crew is able to dine on fried calamari.

3. FrolickingFizzgig

FrolickingFizzgig Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 1, 2016
    And then nothing changes in IX, characters remain stagnant and hope dies.

4. prlrocks

prlrocks Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 2009
    I think the hope is supposed to be that boy with the broom.... not joking here.

Darkspellmaster and Knessa84 like this.
  5. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I think those elements will be carried forward by their proteges. Poe for Leia, Rey for Luke. That's a legacy for their actions and beliefs.

As for their actual family... I don't know. I feel like if these films keep teasing Kylo's conflict, humanizing him, making the heroine sympathize with his reason for turning on Luke, etc., for 7+ hours only to end with him fully evil, that would come off as a cruel inversion of Lucas's ending for the OT, where Vader seemed fully committed all along to darkness until hope won out in the end. In Kylo's case, they'd make casual fans hope for redemption and then spit on those hopes, with despair winning out in the end.

Ryanpaulstewart likes this.
  6. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    The hope in this movie is not represented by Kylo or the Skywalkers anymore. That's made clear with what Luke says to him, and with the destruction of the Skywalker lightsaber. Luke's declaration is followed by a cut to Rey, signaling her as the new bearer of his legacy, and then the final scene with the little boy cements it. And there's ways for the characters to continue evolving while keeping them committed to the goals they set out for themselves after 2 films.

Like I posted earlier, they've run out of story juice with this whole "so conflicted" angle Kylo's had. It's been building and building up to when he's finally NOT conflicted anymore. It's at the point where another round of ~wavering between the Dark and the Light for Kylo is what would be stagnant, imo. Every possible angle of Kylo still feeling emotional ties to the light side has been addressed now - family couldn't save him, and a heartfelt plea from Rey, who he spends a whole movie ~connecting with, urging him to be better was not enough.

7. Knightstalker137

Knightstalker137 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2003
    Just a pity that Disney seems to be blissfully destroying the Skywalker legacy so that they can move forward with their own creations, and will more than likely end the Skywalker bloodline with Kylo Ren. Knowing that the love of Leia and Han leads to this is, for me personally, a real kick to the teeth.

MattOrgana, Miriedis, MJ-100 and 4 others like this.
  8. AnneNeville

AnneNeville Jedi Master star 4

Feb 17, 2016
    What if her awakening and her power are so very strong *because* Kylo is so strong? She may be random, but that doesn't mean that her power is also random. It could be in response to Ben's force gifts.

How are allotments of the Force meted out in this universe?

Is the ST designed to undercut the Chosen One/Dynasty pattern/expose it as damaging?

9. prlrocks

prlrocks Jedi Master star 2

Jun 15, 2009
    Without actually seeing the movie, I have to say I agree. Everything points to an end of the Skywalkers and a passing on of the torch to currently unknown individuals. I get that (and can appreciate it).... while being upset since the Skywalker family is my favorite things about Star Wars. It hurts to see the family go out on such a dark note. To me Star Wars was always about hope, redemption and family.

I might change my mind after seeing the film, but I have a very hard time seeing Kyo redeemed (which until now I really thought would happen through Leia).

Knightstalker137 likes this.
  10. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017

By this point, I would not be surprised if they do so. They've already changed Lucas' meaning of Balance of the Force.

And by this point, the damage to OT legacy is too much for many to continue onward for the next episode.

11. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Yeah, I understand.

12. AnneNeville

AnneNeville Jedi Master star 4

Feb 17, 2016
    If there are good action scenes and scenes using lightsabers, why should it be necessary to have a saber to saber battle? Maybe it makes sense to save for later.

rorow1 likes this.
  13. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    I'm pretty much out of it. I honestly don't care what they do next.

Ryanpaulstewart and dan1210 like this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Star Wars Episode IX: Who Really Gives A **** Anymore?

15. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    Star Wars: We're gonna finish killing everyone off.

16. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    People forget that this is right after TFA, not 2 years after it. That's only in our world, which makes it all worse.

dan1210, Jazz9276 and AhsokaSolo like this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Mine is more catchy. ;)

18. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Kylo continuing on this absurd whiny path isn’t just stagnant, it’s abusive. How long do our heroes have to keep being written to take his crap? It’s time for the villain to be treated like a villain, not woobied, and taken out like the POS he is.

19. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    Lol honestly it's like fine, I'm gonna accept the message of Rey Random which is you don't need to be a Skywalker to be important. By the same token, Kylo should be held to the same standards - being a Skywalker doesn't entitle to him second chance after second chance.

20. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    Re-Return of the Jedi

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

21. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    It is. I prefer the f-bomb version. It really gets the point across. Mine are too family friendly.

22. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Kylo will get carved up by Rey in Ep9. Finn and Poe will carve up the Knights of Ren. BB8 will solely destroy the FO. I can see it now.

23. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005

FIFY

24. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Please no. I had to suffer that with that whole Star By Star BS back in the EU. I do not want or need a dead Chewie.

25. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015

LOL the knights of ren?! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA they've forgotten all about those guys. They were just created as space holder phrases in the script. Then they made some cool drawings and put them in the force back. Thats it. Nothing is explained ever. How'd maz get anakin's saber? Doesn't matter, its destroyed for good now. Bold and unpredictable!!!!

well you better get ready because chewie is def going down with the falcon. They'll bring back lando so they can kill him off too, but not before adding him to kylo's sad backstory. He's the one who gave little ben some death sticks once.

Knessa84 and Jazz9276 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.