main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Blastaar: Couldn't agree with you more. They are a laughable bunch aren't they? I think they got lost in space somewhere...dont even know how to pilot their ship and probably flew into a sun or black hole. Prob for the best. They are a story for another time...what a memorable line. I think that is how I will best describe the ST if one asks me what I think of it.

2. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    ST? whats that? Sequel trilogy? hasn't been made yet.

3. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    EW just saw clips of Reylo on YouTube from this movie. Holy crap. RJ really brought twilight, only like a far less romantic version of it if that’s possible, into SW. What is happening?!

Shadojoker likes this.
  4. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    The Dark Timeline. Though......alabama chose not to elect that pedophile.

5. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Haha right, focus on the good things. A child molester not in the senate is waaaayyyy more important.

6. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    to anyone who has seen the movie I have a question.

on crait I have heard he is wearing black rotj robes. others said brown.

can anyone confirm?

many thanks.

Tiberius.Ogden likes this.
  7. GauntGrandMoff

GauntGrandMoff Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 29, 2016
    Why would palpatine hang with a pedo?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

8. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Wait, what, chewie dies too with the falcon?

9. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I understand why you believe the "flipping it around" technique is a good tool - and it can be - but in this instance I don't think it helps, because it just illustrates the other side of the same sexist trap: the idea that men cannot be sexually exploited or violated. So firstly, I think some would still have a problem with it. I would, if the film developed it into a "healthy" relationship rather than being honest about it being a messed up situation.

Though, I would also say that this dynamic isn't incredibly common in the media in the way that women-taming-dangerous-men-through-love is. That means that while the individual storyline may be done well or poorly, it isn't as likely to form part of a homogenous mass message. That could provide some extra space to take the storyline on its own merits. But again that'd likely hinge on whether the film was trying to portray it as "healthy" or not.

10. wilyen

wilyen Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    Wow this quote thread right here...if this doesn't tell you we're in the darkest timeline nothing will.

Shadojoker and Blastaar like this.
  11. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I find it fascinating how, judging by the fan reaction to spoilers, the sequel trilogy has gone from being seen as way too safe to being viewed as way too risky almost over night.

I should point out that I have been a massive fan of the OT since I was very young, and Luke Skywalker was a key role model for me as a child. He represented righteousness on my moral compass growing up. So I do understand and relate to the upset about Luke having become disenfranchised with his lot in life before having been killed off in Episode 8. The realisation that, alongside the death of Carrie last year, this means when I come out of the theatre at 2:30 tomorrow morning my childhood heroes are truly relegated to history is a painful thought.

However, and I must stress that I'm sort of reluctant to resort to this as a defence given it has been used against me in the past for not liking the prequels (Even though I was only seven when TPM was in theatres, but let's not go there.), I think a lot of the backlash against these spoilers is a toxic form of nostalgia (One that Disney's marketing department isn't above feeding, admittedly).

The fact is people do become more cynical and, very often, they break. I know this from personal experience, this time last year my life was in a good place and was going to better places, now I'm taking anti-depressants and looking for reasons to get up in the morning. That's just my domestic life, Luke Skywalker has the weight of the galaxy on his shoulders post-RotJ, he has to lead the charge against the Empire, who are still the dominant force even without an emperor in power, and try to build a whole new jedi order by himself. That will take it's toll on anybody, and there is no way you can leap into the events that happen post-RotJ without exploring the costs of constant fighting, otherwise these characters stop being the humans we grew to love and become emotionally invincible cartoon characters. Even the old EU understood this to some degree. Does everyone remember how long Han Solo was a broken man after Chewbacca was killed off?

And that was an example that I found far more egregious and disrespectful than what it sounds like Rian Johnson is trying to do with Luke's passing. Here Johnson is giving us a Luke that has been realistically battered by the events of the last 30 years, but is providing us with a gradual restoration of his characteristic optimism and faith, culminating in Luke using the strength his good qualities grant him to save his friends and family, while channeling a power and presence we have never seen from him before. This seems like a respectful way of permanently ending Luke's story. This is not to mention that, lest we forget, the door is always open for Luke to return in future installments. The appearance of a certain other character in this movie demonstrates that Jedi are never truly dead.

Personally I respect the fact that Disney are trying to use this trilogy blaze a new trail. Given that Star Wars has, up until now, grown comfortable with convoluted family trees and absurdly long bloodlines, handing the baton down to completely new characters and resetting the board is the biggest, arguably most interesting risk Disney could take while moving forward. It also allows them to go wherever they like with the franchise once this trilogy is wrapped and in the bag, making it a sensible move towards truly freeing the creators to do what they like in the Star Wars sandbox.

Now if there's anything that's going to make me grab my pitchfork in anger, it's that Andy Serkis appears to have been completely underutilised in this trilogy. This is a crime I can not abide. :p

12. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    no not yet, but he will in episode 9. Likely right after lando is killed.

13. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    To be fair, I've said this for a few years now in person and on this forum (as I think he was the only good thing in Girls), Adam Driver is a force of his own and hopefully we won't even miss Andy Serkis. I'm quite excited to have the antagonist focus on Kylo now.

14. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    In KK's personal notes, she has some backstory that Lando died by a moon dropping on his 10 years before TFA.

15. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Yes. I think for the first time I realize how entitled many fans really can be. Some here even don't want to see it because it doesn't have a lightsaber fight.

You know, when Pawns stuff leaked, I was critical of it myself. But I've come to realize that all of this can work in context (and TBH, it looks to me like Pawn deliberately tried to describe the plot as bad as possible). So I go to the actual movie on Thursday to see and judge it myself. That's the rational thing to do.

I also noticed that many of the posters in here that are ripping TLJ apart without having seen it are the same ones who weren't enthused about it for months now.
    Mainly the "Luke shouldn't die or I'm out", "Rey has to be related or I'm out" and the "Rian Johnson has assassinated Rey's character" bunch.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

16. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    Ruffmeian: I think you hit the nail on the head. RJ definitely went down the way of the idea of "what if Anakin didn't get into the suit and just simply killed Palpatine". Kylo Ren knows that Vader never fulfilled his darkside destiny and potential because of family. Thats why he killed Han Solo and wants to kill Leia and Luke. He then kills Snoke and does what Vader never did. That is sorta interesting and what RJ is trying to achieve.

17. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Gee, I can't wait for the "you only disliked it because you wanted to" crowd to start unleashing their armies of strawmen.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  18. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    This is why I'm not at all bothered by the spoilers. I really don't care about Reylo or non-Reylo, as much as I've just been fascinated with Kylo himself. Kylo is the version of Anakin I wanted- that raw, unadulterated power. His first scene in TFA shook me, and every time I watch it, his presence is enigmatic. I never really felt like Anakin was ever a badass, and was disappointed with the lack of power in ROTS. Granted, I really am a huge fan of Adam Driver and went to bat defending him before TFA even came out. I just think if anyone has the ability to usurp the mighty Andy Serkis, it's him, and I THINK (hope) RJ and JJ saw this.

Myself656 and Doom_Buggy like this.
  19. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    Adam Driver is the one saving grace of the ST (new characters). I don't find anyone else compelling at this point. But they all are good actors (new characters).

cwustudent likes this.
  20. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    All I'm trying to say here is that people should watch the film for themselves and hold off their judgement until then. If someone then still doesn't like it, fine.

But to actually cancelling the tickets because of some badly described spoilers is immature and childish IMO.

21. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    Still watching it regardless. I am sure there will be fun things to enjoy. I hear the space battles are the best in any SW movie yet. So excited for that. Leia is supposed to be pretty good in this too.

22. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003

Sadly, I fear this may be wishful thinking. I fear they missed an opportunity on establishing Rey's origin. I think Disney will stick with the junker parents. Some may feel this is ok. I honestly could care less, but I agree with the views of many that her parentage should have been revealed upfront, to avoid the speculation and inevitable letdown of her not being a Skywalker, Kenobi, Palpatine, etc.

cwustudent likes this.
  23. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016

I'm gonna say what I said in the Mark thread. What people do with their ticket is their business. They are under no obligation to spend time and money on a movie they don't feel like watching just because it has the name Star Wars on it.

Immature and childish? Its the holiday season. Gifts and food to buy, parties to attend but hey lets call people name just because they don't feel like spending time and money to watch a Disney/Star Wars movie they don't wanna see.

24. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yeah, I never heard too many people suggest it, but I almost felt that TFA telegraphed that Kylo would take Snoke out in the next film -- Snoke was the least interesting aspect of the ST setup to me, such an obvious Palpatine stand-in that it felt like they deliberately didn't put much thought into him as he was just there to be deposed. I'm glad it came to fruition as it's meaningfully different and explores a dynamic that's much mentioned but never shown in canon lore. I totally don't mind the Snoke backstory being handled in other media -- it's too much for a three film cycle to handle and his role was basically a formality anyway.

Of course, we're finally seeing a legitimate Sith succession, with a couple of darksiders who... aren't Sith. Which begs the question of why, if there's no interesting backstory as to why they're not Sith, there was such a fuss made over them not being Sith. I mean, they could've been, what difference would it have made?

25. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Of course can they do whatever they want. But sorry, it's still childish behaviour. IN MY OPINION, someone who hasn't seen the actual movie doesn't have the right to judge it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.