main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I always said that, too. I would've been okay with a bigger backstory on Snoke and maybe him actually being Plagueis or something similar. But I think this provides a much more intense concentrated focus on a character that has so many sides as it is.

I think the difference here for Ben not actually being a sith is that he was on the path to being a Jedi and had at least intentions in claiming his loyalty to the role and for whatever reason, was let down much in the way Anakin was. In the PT, I'll never understand WHY the council was ever like "hey! Go spy on this guy even though we all know you're temperamental and tad bit unstable" so he could be manipulated. I always felt like they put him in the position to fail, and that their undoing was a lot of their own fault.

2. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016

It's how we decide which movie we might see and which we don't. It's how we can say "Thank God, Joss Whedon wasn't behind Wonder Woman".
    Some movies looks stupid, some looks like a mess and some looks good. One can read the leaks, the subtitles, think its not their cup of tea, express why and pass.

3. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    Dude. there is no reason what so ever to get personal about this. People read spoilers and reviews and decide they don't wanna spend their money, why does that aggravate you? Its cool. You still get to watch it if you want. I doesn't take away from your enjoyment.

4. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    It's immature and childish and here's why.

You can choose to forfeit your tickets and refuse to see the movie. But that either means you are going to continue to complain and cry about a plot you didn't like hearing without ever seeing the movie itself, or you're going to say "Ok, whatever, I don't even care about this at all anymore" which means you're not really a fan any longer.

So that's fine. If you don't wanna be a fan, if you don't wanna ever see the movie, if you're content with that...good, then get on with life. But if you're going to complain and attack and criticize, then we all know you're gonna eventually force yourself to watch it one day.

Not talking to anyone specifically; just generalizing.

5. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016

Who knows this maybe my favorite movie of them all as hard as it is to say. It's just too soon to jump to conclusions.

6. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I kinda just ignore the people that are saying the film is **** and everything is ruined.

It's really just not worth my time as a genuine fan.

7. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    Everything you just said. So what? Whats the problem with that? If someone does that, how does it negatively affect you?

8. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014

I didn't say anything affected me. I just said it's immature and childish to keep attacking a plot you only heard about through hearsay and won't ever watch the movie. So either watch the movie, move on with life, or choose to be an immature child.

9. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    If you look at the reviews of those who actually have seen TLJ, the film gets universal praise. I would actually agree with your point if that wasn't the case.

Maybe, just maybe there's a possibility that you will enjoy the actual film too, like those critics?

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

Myself656, Darth Caliban and TadoFett like this.
  10. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    mkay.

MrElculver2424 likes this.
  11. mufclee90

mufclee90 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 23, 2017
    I see a lot of hate for the Rey random reveal, and it was the worst possible outcome for myself as well.

But thinking about it doesn’t this just add to the weight that she is a reincarnated/force manifestation of Anakin? I mean... if this theory were to happen, her parents would always end up being randomers. It would be pretty weird if she was and one of Luke, Leia, obi wan or palpatine were her parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. NHB0M

NHB0M Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2016
    Maybe, i'm not ruling it out. There's also the possibility I won't see what the critics are seeing and it wouldn't be a first. But I simply don't feel like rushing in to see it. I might see it one day but it's not something I wanna do now.

It took 10 years for me to watch ROTS even though I've been told it was the best movie out of the prequels. Not that I really the PT. I just didn't feel like watching it. No regrets and no one got hurt in-between those 10 years.

13. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    No Blastaar is just teasing me on this, because I said I suffered through losing Chewie back in the Star By Star novel of the New Jedi order when they killed him on a planet and let the others escape.

Yeah, no. That would be insane. Lando being brought back in Episode 9 I can see, but I don't think they'll kill him off just like that...would there be a reason to? Oh god please no. Well sad backstory, sure in some ways because Snoke's been manipulating the kid ala Exar Kun did with Kyp and Darth, whatever her name was, did with Jacen, so there's sadness there in that idea, but I don't see Lando adding to that. Unless they decide that Leia decided to date Lando while she and Han were on the outs.

14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Most critics loved Thor: Ragnarok. But I was far more ambivalent on it, and a lot of the things that they seemed to like were actually problems for me.

So critical reaction only goes so far. Heck TFA got great reviews, but that doesn't stop some people from ripping into it. Tastes are subjective, and sometimes an idea just sounds terrible even conceptually.

15. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    Prometheus and Alien Covenant come to mind as movies that got fresh ratings but were heavily criticized by fans and viewers in general.

And I agree on Thor Ragnarok. They went way too comedic with it, even for a Marvel movie. It felt like nothing mattered whatsoever.

Shadojoker likes this.
  16. RedDevil

RedDevil Jedi Knight

May 18, 2016
    Yeah I’m afraid so. For me the Leia scene was the worst of the movie. Just looked and felt totally wrong. I could kind of see what they were trying to do but it just didn’t work

17. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    5-ish hours till i see TLJ [face_nail_biting][face_party]

Mostly Handless likes this.
  18. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    RedDevil so neither the knights of ren or kylo turn up on achto? and rey goes to save kylo?

19. RedDevil

RedDevil Jedi Knight

May 18, 2016
    Correct. Rey lies down in the escape pod/capsule of the MF and blasts off and floats into the big ship Kylo is on. As she lands inside the ship she looks up through the glass top of the escape pod and Kylo is standing over her waiting for her

Mostly Handless likes this.
  20. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    You know, I was disappointed that Lando wasn't going to be in this film (Billy Dee is almost 80 and he's willing to come back). But now, part of me is glad that he isn't here. Because with how things are going, we'd probably find out that he was some broke, miserable, drunk loser who has nothing left, and then he'd die.

21. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    I saw tfa 6 times in the theatre and took a few people with me too, so all in I would say they got 20 ticket sales from me alone. I wonder how many fans will watch this twice, the only way for them to see our disappointment is at the box office which i fear wont happen.

One thing that also occured to me, the cruiser that is running low on fuel, I actually thought ships were self sufficient in that regard in that they generated their own power...

22. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Absolutely tastes are subjective of course and if you’ve drawn lines in the sand that you know have been crossed, or convinced yourself that all of the people involved have some nasty agenda, you’ll bring that with you into the cave... er... I mean theater.

It is important to note the grade difference between Thor Ragnarok and The Last Jedi though. While both movies had about 92-93 out of 100 people thinking they were good enough to recommend people see... the average score for The Last Jedi is a full grade above.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/thor-ragnarok
    http://www.metacritic.com/movie/star-wars-episode-viii---the-last-jedi

Also, I think TFA clearly benefited from the bar having been set lower via the prequels and the decline of Star Wars passion in the general public following them. New franchises had risen up with incredible special FX and epic worlds and powers and generations of kids weren’t as impressed by the Star Wars brand. TFA was critics saying “Uhhh... you all might want to come back because these new people get what made you love the Star Wars movies in the first place.” It’s also been an era of soft reboots of tons of content so critics are going to come in with less emotion over why and instead focus on whether it works or not in 2017. The Last Jedi didn’t have a lowered bar. If anything some critics had reason to bring out their knives more because less CG, more puppets, and some better acting wasn’t going to be enough. The Last Jedi though is getting better reviews than just about any adventure film since Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight movie or LOTR’s ROTK. It’s getting better reviews than TFA. That’s significant.

23. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    ^Not for me, I don't care what they say really.

cwustudent likes this.
  24. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    True. Life is short and there are so few treats that really connect us. So, I’m not going to let a small but vocal contingent ruin my fun or enjoyment in something just because they didn’t and want others to experience their pain and suffering and hate. It’s like being around negative people at work who always complain.

25. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Persumably Chewie flys the Falcon to Crait?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.