main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    It never is. This board is basically an endurance contest. I think some believe if they keep on repeating the same thing it will magically come true like rubbing a genie lamp...

2. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    You have no context to presume that though. It may turn out better for him in the end.

3. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Well, then I promise you have my respect. I mean, with all the serious stuff going on in the world, all the childhood ruined and all that crap is really beyond understanding in a forum that is supossed to be made by grown ups.

Regarding what you say, look, I followed that guy´s post since the first time someone posted them here. I have read them all. And SWNN has a lot of them in the same article. If you read them, the only wrong bit is the part in which he claims the cyborg villain art work is false. It was not false, it simply was never used in any scene. He also claimed Finn was Lando´s son, which seems unlikely as well.

All I am saying is that I find beyond sad that two out of what? 15 or 20 things he leaked, turned out not to be accurate (and even those two have an explanation behind them) are used to claim this is not accurate. And this always comes from the same group of people, the one that is against what is being reported. Call them Reylos, Skylos, of whatever.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If Rey turns out to be Luke's daughter... but she, in turn, ends up being an awful daughter and/or turns to the Dark Side, then Luke will truly have been mistreated.

DarthIshyZ, Revanfan1 and loststars like this.
  5. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015

Like I said earlier (and said by others) it's not only the emotional connection to Luke, it's the combination of how TFA was setup + how we feel about Luke as a character. That we "clutch" to Rey Skywalker is largely on how TFA was setup, don't pick on us if you can't handle our "whining" blame JJ & Co.

6. loststars

loststars Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2016

Oh yeah I read the article. He definitely seems to know a good amount of information. Once something he says is corroborated by MSW we know he's real legit. They did run a story about his post so there's that.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I can see how some think TFA "needs" Rey to be a Skywalker to be satisfying (though I would argue you should keep an open-end until you actually see how the story plays out). But there is no excuse whatsoever for whining that treats Luke Skywalker as an actual person and somehow turns every discussion back towards Luke and the inevitable doom he is headed for based on very little at all. Sorry.

8. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016

I thought I had every weird portmanteau name, but 'Skylo' is a new one on me - what the heck is that?

9. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    JJ isn't responsible for anyone else's behavior....we are all responsible for our own behavior.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

Correct. And, thus we will hold anyone responsible for discussing the other members of the forums rather than the topic, itself. People whining about other people whining is not only discussing other members, rather than the topic, it also perpetuates the thread being nothing but whining.

11. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    There's this notion that whatever Rian or Collin or anyone else does is "best for the story". Is that necessarily true? We can only hope, as SW fans, that the screenplay and plot will be what is best for the entire story and saga. But what is best is different to different people. Looking at the top poll, more than 50% think/hope that Rey being a Skywalker is best or at least most logical. This also goes for any other plot idea, not just Rey's parentage.

12. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    The point is the storytellers need to do what they feel is best. It's their story to tell. They cannot please everyone so they have to tell the story they believe in. That is not the same thing as saying everyone will or should like the story they believe is best. I also wouldn't trust the storytelling instincts of the majority of SW fans. It's a tricky line to walk between giving audiences the story they want and the story they need, and the two are not always the same thing. Anyway, we don't know what option RJ and co are taking so there is no point sniffing doom at every turn.

13. loststars

Jan 22, 2016

Also its easy for fans to say that without having seen the movie. Sometimes spoilers may sound bad or whatever on paper but when they're on screen they make sense and people like them. That's why as long as they write the story well, I think everyone will be okay.

Mungo Baobab , PaperSkin and Satipo like this.
  14. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    I think the story is a part of it, but as 'Rogue one'-gate this week has shown us, it is a balancing act. I don't think they will have had COMPLETE freedom from Disney to do whatever they please in terms of long-term outline and that makes sense to me. SW is after all, an investment.

Likewise, this isn't something like 'Lord of the rings' which was pretty much a passion project for Peter Jackson and his 'baby'. Does JJ have different ideas about things to Rian? And Colin? How do they collaborate with each other and Lucasfilm? Can Kennedy overrule them on things? It's pretty fascinating to me.

15. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Exactly. The only time to judge fairly is once you have seen the full story play out in context as intended. And those more able to keep an open mind will be more likely not to be upset if the story does not play out exactly as they demand.

16. Cuppy

Cuppy Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2016
    ......Have you ever watched Lost?

17. robot_3

robot_3 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 23, 2015
    MODified: While I share the sentiment, let's keep commentary on others' commentary about others' commentary to a nonexistent minimum.

18. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I left the "reyskywalker" side and, dude, I'm so glad for it. And I think we'll know a bit about Rey's past in VIII and more in IX.

PymParticles and Dark Horse like this.
  19. robot_3

Jan 23, 2015
    my bad. no ill intent.

on to something different. i love the ragged/worn/dirty look of the cloak that Rian posted. the return to the "lived-in" aesthetic in the ST is nice to see... it's part of what makes it all feel like Star Wars for me.

if it were Rey's cloak, i would love that her gear is comprised of ragged hand me downs.

20. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I don't care if Rey didn't come out of Luke's DNA. Frankly, I'd prefer a loving father-daughter relationship between two unrelated people to a toxic hate-filled relationship between blood relatives. Ben didn't choose Han, and Han didn't choose Ben, but Rey and Luke can choose each other. Passing on one's genetic material is far less important than passing on what you've learned. That seems to be the whole point of Luke Skywalker's life.

21. robot_3

Jan 23, 2015
    i'm with you... and i think it more closely fits the themes of the OT. it's not about being defined by who you were born to or born with, but being defined by the choices you make.

what made Luke, Han & Leia great wasn't who they were related to, it was the choices that they made that made them admirable/heroes/etc...

even though i would easily roll with Rey as a skywalker by blood, I've come 180 to being more intrigued by her being a skywalker/hero based on her choices /actions/merit and juxtaposing that to Kylo who thinks he is special and deserves the world handed to him just because of who mommy & grampa are...

22. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Wow. I`m not in the Rey Skywalker camp, but that is a very bold claim. Mr Ghostface can`t possibly know things that far in advance.

Jedi Merkurian and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    It's not impossible some people might know that Rey is not Luke's daughter (if that were to be the case).

TK327, HanSolo29 , Dra--- and 3 others like this.
  24. loststars

Jan 22, 2016

Yes exactly. Finn and Rey both came from absolutely nothing and are the heroes while Kylo had all the privilege in the GFFA and instead whine and complained about it and wants to burn it all down.

robot_3 likes this.
  25. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I mean, there might be dialogue that implies that he is not the father, but even that wouldn`t be definitive proof.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.