main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    'I have plenty of Episode VIII scoops for you in late December/early January. Just hang on to then.'

jaqen and Luke02 like this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Like most established fan websites, they are simply passing on the opportunity to publish a scoop for fear of reprisals from LFL (legal or otherwise). Indie Revolver passed on hundreds of concept art scoops during TFA's production, for example - many of which they simply handed to MSW.

In other words, MSW, as they get more established, may be "normalizing" as a fan website. Which means they'll be a little less prolific in terms of spoiler scoops. They will be more cautious about the battles they choose to fight.

Satipo likes this.
  3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    From listening to his podcast the other day am pretty sure they know more stuff. Perhaps not on the grand scale as last time but they probably have a few cards up there sleeves. They are pretty confident I'll give them that. I mean some called it arrogance before and he had the right to because he got it correct, he's probably got stuff yet to be seen.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  4. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Supposedly they do have a couple of pieces of TLJ concept art they haven't revealed yet.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  5. nonesuch

nonesuch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2015
    My guess/expectation is that MSW will have the same kind of info for TLJ that they had for Rogue One - solid facts about characters and setup, but little in terms of the overarching narrative and how everything fits together. That's just my impression right now though, so I'm fully prepared to be proven wrong.

6. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    They can't get into trouble for passing on spoilers, They haven't got anything, the well is dry.

Luke02, Ryanpaulstewart and What Girl like this.
  7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    That's likely right, though they have a bit more on the story than they've revealed so far. Unless, of course, they get a similar "shooting documents"-style dump as they did with TFA.

They definitely do.

Keep on believing that! It's your right, after all. ;)

You're right, however, that the well is drier than it was for TFA. That's pretty clear. But that doesn't mean they don't have a lot more than they're currently publishing. They simply have less, and will spread those crumbs out.

Satipo likes this.
  8. Ryanpaulstewart

Ryanpaulstewart Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2016
    They're waiting for the beans to get spilled during Celebration so they can pick up the beans and spill them again.

CrazyOldJedi and Luke02 like this.
  9. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    Very much so. I also think he may have some call sheets but not all because remember all the stuff around the medallion and Finn's different form of infiltration he seem to have calling numbers for both Finn and whoever Kelly is to play. I also think he has some concept art as cerealbox says. He's spoken in the past of Luke and Kylo inside a temple a bit of a while ago too. [face_thinking]

Satipo likes this.
  10. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  11. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

I shutter on which ones he is right on even if it's just twice.

Jedi Jessy

I remember reading the same thing for Rogue One. Just saying folks.

vncredleader and Ryanpaulstewart like this.
  12. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    To say that Rey learned the mind trick,from Kylo's interrogation is hogwash.

They might as well says that Anakin learned how to use Force Lightning from Count Dooku
    [​IMG]

Get outta here with that. I swear Disney is dumbing down the FORCE

Episode 8 Finn will stop a blaster bolt in midair cause he saw Kylo do it to Poe if we keep this up.

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    That sounded very HP when I first heard it and I still feel that way. I also think it could be work if is a situation kind of like well....HP. LV didn't mean to turn HP into a horocrux. I always like the idea of Rey and Kylo are now intertwined with their minds after what happened in the interrogation even if Kylo did it uninentionally. To me this could lead to Kylo turning away from the dark side largely due to feeling sympathy for Rey as learns more about her but then we get into the term that people lose their minds for so I won't go there.

What Girl likes this.
  14. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    I agree and didn't like how they handled that with Rey picking up stuff instantly. So just looking into Kylo's mind for a few seconds allows her to master the Jedi mind trick which I think I remember reading one time took Obi-Wan years to master. And if you have the force strong enough you can just grab a lightsaber and learn from it and be ready to face a strong force user who has trained to fight with lightsabers for years. The injury wasn't enough to account for how they let that happen. The lightsaber going to her and the force scenes are about the only things that were really believable imo.

15. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    The dark side is quicker, easier; more seductive...

Darth Smurf and Gigoran Monk like this.
  16. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Were Anakin and Dooku reading each other's minds? Rey goes so far into Kylo's mind that she sees his innermost thoughts and fears, and Kylo does the same to her.

And as for her doing a mind trick, Abrams's explanation that (paraphrasing) "Rey figured if she could overpower a strong mind, she could do the same with a weaker one" makes perfect sense to me.

The whole film is about how an absence of the Jedi has led to an imbalance, one the force itself seems to be correcting in this "awakening." Fans can either accept minor expansions of the lore like this or they won't. But to suggest that there is no reasonable explanation for the new lore simply isn't true.

17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Meh.... they aren't good enough to give up their draw, IMO. I mean, I like their show well enough, but 80% of it is dross. C'mon guys.... step up or step out.

On Rey's ability to learn Force abilities..... IMHO, we won't know for sure until we've seen the ST play out. But I have to say that saying that "Disney" is "dumbing down" the Force seems rather myopic, IMO. First off, I think the use of "Disney" there is intended to express a kind of disdain. Second, if anything LFL has been complicating the Force.... right along paths begun by George Lucas. I think Rey's ability to pick up some Force skills through her contact with Kylo's mind is a pretty interesting approach. She is clearly very strong in the Force. I can;t help but think that she will be tempted by the "easy" way to learn things, and I expect that will emerge throughout the story.

18. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Also Obi Wan scoffed at the idea that using the Mind Trick on a Stormtrooper was any great challenge in ANH. Also Force abilities have never been consistent in this franchise really.

19. Shadojoker

Dec 15, 2000
    Ok let's say i accept Rey "learning from Kylo's mind" theory. But wasn't Palpatine/Sidious and Luke going back and forth in Episode VI a slight variation of reading each other's mind's/thoughts/feelings.

"Your over-confidence is your weakness. Your faith in your friends is yours." was the startup.
    "Your fleet is lost, and your friends on the moon won't survive." Palpatine CLEARLY sensing Luke's emotion right there and SEEING RIGHT THRU him. Luke knew it that's why he snatched that lightsaber as to say.."Damned if I do..damned if I don't."

Then the scene with Luke hiding from Vader..but Vader found out about Leia. These are SEVERAL examples of this "Force mind-reading" but never do you see Luke doing a Saber-toss,or anything close to what Vader did to him (without tapping into the darkside),or anything remotely to what Vader might have did when he was Anakin..NO.

All my arguments and points have visual aids and specific reference points. Most of you guys "counters"are mainly opinions..or excuse me.."IMHO", .Oh please.
    My "disdain" for Disney/Lucasfilm was an still is the argument to make TFA a "reboot/throwback" but cheat corners here and there. Not to bash TFA which i saw many times but most of us agree on A LOT negative things on it so I dont' have to go into detail on that.

Myopic?? really...Really bruh?? You sound like someone who just watched TFA and maybe a few cartoons. None of the "legend comics,novels,prequels,expanded universe..etc" A foundation of lore built over decades came into question after TFA. Simple as that. How is that "unimaginative and short-sighted". Kylo stopping or freezing the blaster bolt IS WELL WITHIN THE LORE of the Force from the previous forementioned lore. (Canonical and non-canonical LEGENDS universe), What Rey did in TFA is almost UNPRECEDENTED. Even if she learned the mind trick from Kylo. that Force grab at the end was too majestic from "simple mind-reading".

She had no training...Luke trained with the legend Obi-wan Kenobi for the full movie of A New Hope..and all he was able to do was deflect training droid bolts and Bullseye the Death Star (no small feat). He never truly "used the Force until the end"...He even trained with Yoda. He still didnt do clearly as much as Rey did until Return of the Jedi (Jabba's palace). Maybe force grab the saber and sliced off that snow alien's arm but that doesnt count.

Luke how HARD it was for Luke to even LIFT a few STONES!! Now this is AFTER he trained with Ben Kenobi and Yoda opening his mind to the Force. This was extremely difficult.

Using the force is meant to be a challenge, not something that you can pick up. That's my points and visual arguments set before the jury of my peers(people of the TFN boards). The defense rest, your honor (Mods)

Eirikur and starocean90 like this.
  20. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Um........because girls mature faster than boys.

AloneinSpace and What Girl like this.
  21. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    we'll find out that the secret that Luke discovers, it's all about the High Ground!!!!:p

Shadojoker likes this.
  22. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    TLJ isn't going to win over anyone who finds TFA to be some outrageous violation of the canon. Rey's the lead of this trilogy, not Luke, not a version of Rey one might prefer, but Rey as she was in the actual film we all watched. Rian Johnson is continuing, not undoing, that story.

That's a fact.

23. Shadojoker

Dec 15, 2000
    If they reference back to Mace Windu & Yoda concerning the "prophecy" being misread..and Luke finds out it's her (Rey)??? then I'm gonna throw my Ultrasaber at the movie screen and walk out (after the credits of course).

starocean90 likes this.
  24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    or maybe I'm wrong about the high ground and this is the secret!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Yoda was Yoda'd.

starocean90 and Shadojoker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.