main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    Yeah, size of the tree makes me skeptical of arson. It strikes me as one of those things that burn because of a magical lightning or whatever.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Something's better than nothing. I'm glad to know they redesigned the First Order walker because seriously how the hell did the TFA one make it into the actual film? It's just... bad.

3. Rylo_Ken

Rylo_Ken Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2015
    In terms of purely cool shots, the image of Kylo fighting Rey around a burning tree is right up there for me.

Shadojoker and Gigoran Monk like this.
  4. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    That's like 3 or 4 new rumors in the last week. I think Jason finally got his hands on something legit, because these have been different from the earlier leaks about costumes.

Max@TSWP and Shadojoker like this.
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think he saw footage. In the walker article, he mentioned he saw it in motion. Like, either he got footage or somehow got his hands on a CGI test. But he, in the same day, talked about how he's seen the tree on fire and he's describing the look of the movie, saying it's unlike anything we've seen from the movies before. So, I'm guessing someway, somehow, he's seen actual honest-to-god footage from the film.

6. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015

Maybe Snoke thinks it time to take matters into his own hands and goes there with Kylo and the Knights and puts some serious red darkside force lightning on that tree like the Son used in that Mortis episode.

7. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    The walker is what you're wondering how it made it in the film? I'm still scratching my head why they thought Starkiller was a great idea.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, the walker. As far as I know there isn't a revamped Starkiller Base in TLJ so why would I be wondering about that?

robot_3 and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  9. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

vncredleader With all this tree talk, Ep 9 going to have Snoke strike the city of Minas Tirith at this point :p

Or Ents will show up in 8.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I kinda sorta adore it... other than the fact that I cannot cease from hearing it doing the Muttley laugh with that ridiculous evil grin it has going on. The exhaust on these things better sound like Muttley laughing.

11. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Burnt hair

cerealbox likes this.
  12. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015

as i mentioned in the trailer thread, part of me wonders if he's seen this stuff in the Celebration trailer, he might have got a sneak peak etc.

But now i'm starting to think it could be a situation like TFA where MSW and Underworld released those movie shots/stills from the Star Destroyer bridge and the falcon.

Satipo and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  13. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    The closer we get to official stuff, I think the closer we'll be to leaks. Around May last year that book leaked with a bunch of pictures and info on Rogue One characters. I distinctly remember waking up the morning of Celebration 2015 Day 1, when we were all hyped for our first real look at that movie. I checked my phone before I rolled out of bed, and a bunch of promo art of Kylo Ren and the First Order stormtroopers and such had leaked, and we were literally hours away from seeing the panel, trailer, and all the props on the floor.

14. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

(But seriously, I just want more non-human characters in the upcoming Star Wars films.)

vncredleader likes this.
  15. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Something just occurred to me [face_thinking] These new walkers apparently look like gorillas, right? Well, it just so turns out that the Gorillaz have their first new album in seven years coming out in a month [face_thinking] I think it's obvious who's going to be doing the hip music video for TLJ with the new song that all the cool college house parties are going to be playing for a solid two and a half months [face_thinking]

[​IMG]

16. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Would college age kids nowadays be familiar with the Gorillaz?

17. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm an older college aged kid and I'm listening to Plastic Beach right now. A lot of my friends like them; I was at dinner with ten or so friends last week when four songs from their new album dropped and a bunch of us started freaking out. Their best stuff came out when we were just the right age to consider it "cool" music that older kids listened to, and it's aged exceptionally well, what with the mixture of rap, alternative, and catchy beats. My girlfriend and I spent all weekend listening to their new songs on repeat. I can't speak for every college aged kid, obviously, this is just personal experience, but still.

Gigoran Monk and cerealbox like this.
  18. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Now since the first trailer is almost here and we're getting small rumor snippets:

Does anyone want to guess what the following LucasFilm trademarks from the past year mean?

Star Wars: Forces of Destiny
    Star Wars: Rivals
    Valara
    Mon Destra

19. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Book
    App
    Character
    cerealbox likes this.
  20. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003
    Mon Destra is Laura Dern's character. My guess,

The burning tree is super fascinating. I say it's Luke's temple, at the site of massacre. It's the fire Luke is kneeling before in Rey's vision. Didn't Pablo reveal that (the fire, not the tree)? Also, still trying to reason if the temple fire and slaughter are 2different events (as per PH). Anyways...Now, what I'm trying to figure out is if THE force tree we're looking at in that photo is on Ahch-to? Seems like it, right? So hears my quick theory. This is history repeating. Again. We like that motif in SW, and here it is again.

Perhaps, in their Jedi research, Luke and Ben come across the legend of the original break of the Sith from the Jedi. And it happens at the first Jedi temple. There's no explanation of why it happened, but there is the story that the Jedi who broke away attempted to burn down the temple/tree, slaughtered all the Jedi worshipping there, and fled to locations unknown to form the Sith. Sound familiar? So, flash forward to the moment that Ben reveals himself to be Kylo Ren: while Luke is away [insert distraction theories here], Ben goes to Luke's temple (perhaps another tree? In honor of the 1st temple/intertwining with nature), slaughters the padawans and burns the temple down. Mind you, in the course of the slaughter, perhaps Kylo had a vision of a girl standing among the dead. Thinking it's a padawan they missed, he moves toward it but it disappears. It's a warning. Perhaps Kylo has been mulling what it means ever since. "What girl?" Indeed. Then he bolts to join the FO wherever they're hidden.

Obviously, Kylo is sending a dual message to Luke: he's channeling Darth Vader (see Order 66) AND reenacting the old dawn of the Sith legend. Pretty powerful message (all Karate Kid baiting allusions aside) I'd say. Plus, this could be a reason Luke was looking for the 1st Jedi temple - to find out what the actual cause of the rift was...

P.s. speaking of biblical allusions, what about the multiple destructions of The Temple in Jerusalem?

nightangel likes this.
  21. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I think that the burning tree may be a vision of the past, rather than something that occurs during the timeframe of TLJ. Reasons for this? Well, assuming that these are details that they won't have overlooked, if you look closely at the leaked set photos, lichen appears to have grown over the burnt trunk, and some of the branches, and the ground immediately surrounding the tree isn't blackened, or covered with ash.

Ah, I see Gigoran Monk got there before me...nevermind!

In any case, I think this may be our first solid piece of evidence that the movie will delve into the history of the Jedi. And yes, my money would be on this representing part of the story of the Great Schism.

22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Visually, it makes more sense to burn a living tree, not a dying one. So it's burned in the past.

23. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015

I certainly hope that is the case but sometimes the simplest answer turns out to be the correct one. If that scene goes down where Kylo Ren and his Knights land and attack at night I could definitely see Kylo Ren telling his thugs to set it on fire right after they land there. They might have wanted that fire for the background image it would give a scene there. Hard to say for sure now without other info.

24. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
  25. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    REY: I don't know if I can fight Kyl--

LUKE: You can. Remember what I showed you.

REY: Yeah, you see, I'm not sure that's...It just doesn't seem very sporting beca--

LUKE: It's not a request, Rey.

REY: Okay, correct me if I'm wrong here, but he's going to have a lightsa--

LUKE: Sweep the leg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.