main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

A redesign of a vehicle isn't really weird though. Just because MSW say they remind them of Gorillas from a certain angle does not mean that RJ has gone all Michael Bay on us.

2. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    Even in real life in military, the stuff that is used is just retread from the stuff used in the past "coughtankscough". So I am not big on ESB callbacks too.
    Even in RotJ we had AT-AT. In RotS we had republic walkers and the juggernaut transports and AtoC had walkers on geonosis as well.
    We are branching to a full blown invasion story line, so I fully expected to see walkers.

3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    We'll see the actual thing soon enough. Though if it does look like that image, I'd have preferred something more like this:

[​IMG]

Or, more elephantine than gorilla:

[​IMG]

The nice thing about the AT-ATs is that they gave the impression of, say, Hannibal's war elephants. I mean, do gorillas evoke "war beasts" in any way?

But again, I'll reserve judgment until I see it.

dekaneas likes this.
  4. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yeah, the "lower to the ground/stocky build" design... while evoking a gorilla... could very well be more in line with the war elephant aesthetic, I would imagine.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  6. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001

Unless it jumps like a gorilla. Then I'm totally going with gorilla.

Actually an AT AT that can leap might actually be kind of cool, even if it invokes a Transformereque type of movement.

Wait, hello Pablo, I see where this is going...

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    An AT-AT that can climb a tree...

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  8. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    True. I hope that's the case.

If we don't get a scene of an Imperial Walker swinging across the jungle from a vine and doing a Tarzan yell, I'm walking out.

9. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    in CLONE WARS they climbed up a steep ridge

InterestingLurker likes this.
  10. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    It was a cool scene too.

11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

You see, I love James Cameron movies and when he gave us this, it was perfect;

[​IMG]

But then he went and spoiled it all by giving us this;

[​IMG]

Because mo' guns'n'rockets does not always work.

12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Oh, sure. But I was talking about forms, not details.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  13. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing something more robust-looking with a lower centre of gravity. Not so keen on the design above, that looks easier to topple than the original AT-AT (which I love). The supposed gorilla inspiration sounds great to me. One doesn't mess with a gorilla.

14. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I don't mind the practical justification for a lower center of gravity, and think that could certainly work . But it still needs to look good, and in that context, I'd go for a more elephantine or rhino look, as a way of evoking a war beast. A huge problem with the AT-AT designs for TFA was that the designers were going for something that was a practical response to the weaknesses of the OT AT-ATs, and so we got spidery legs and a gun for a head. And it looked terrible. In Star Wars, form is more important than function. It's the shape of the AT-ATs that makes them iconic and memorable, not their military value. As Chiang says, create the silhouettes first, and then fill in the details.

15. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    Completely agree. Although I wouldn't be surprised if the current film-makers are trying to marry form & function moreso than in the past. I also agree that the walkers in TFA looked awful. I just really like the idea of a gorilla inspired walker for some reason.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    JediLight likes this.
  17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Cant wait to see those Gorilla AT-ATs delousing each other

18. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017

To quote Pablo Hidalgo: "There is more to come."

JediLight and IncessantRamblings like this.
  19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Yippee !

JediLight likes this.
  20. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    Yup, I've felt that if there's something important at the First Jedi Temple there's also something under Vader's castle....

JediLight likes this.
  21. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014

Doug Chiang said that the castle was built upon an ancient Sith cave. Now it seems that we may be revisiting the castle in either TLJ, or IX, so maybe we'll learn more about this?

"StarWars.com: There’s also the note in here — I think you said it — that there is a Sith cave underneath. Where did that come from? It’s funny, because you’re watching the movie and you have no idea that there could be a Sith cave under there, but then you read it in the book, and you’re like, “That’s awesome and that makes sense.”
    Doug Chiang: Exactly. It went back to the original idea of, “Well, why would Vader be here?” and there was a series of paintings and sketches that Ralph McQuarrie did, where Luke actually visits Vader in this underground lava cave. I always thought that was such a compelling image, because you have this lava lake inside this cave and there was Vader’s throne. So we took that idea and thought, “Okay, well, maybe on the lower levels of Vader’s castle, there’s a more ancient part. That he actually built this castle on a foundation of an ancient structure.” If you look at the finished design, it has this very strong element of a structure that was there for a purpose, and that purpose was to draw energy from the lava lake. If you look at the design of the base, it feels very much like a dam, and how the lava flows through it, possibly getting energy. And so we thought, “Okay, well, that’s the foundation. Maybe even deeper, or underneath that, is an even more ancient part, which is a natural cave where Vader goes to meditate.” Visually, we’re trying to create a sort of history for the tower. The bottom is the most ancient, the lava lake dam part was perhaps what Vader built his foundation on, and then the tower was Vader’s addition."
    http://www.starwars.com/news/we-set-the-bar-so-high-doug-chiang-on-designing-rogue-one

22. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    Yeah, I just realized I worded myself poorly... but that's the article that made me start thinking in that direction! :) In other words I think there's something important in the Sith cave.

Gigoran Monk and Mungo Baobab like this.
  23. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    where there's Snoke there's fire!!!:p

24. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    [​IMG]

25. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Let me see if I understand. You're saying that you're unimpressed and dissatisfied that defense research and subsequent advancements in military technology lead to improvements upon extant weapon designs; that you would prefer that these advancements would lead to entirely new classes of weapons.

Put simply (in the words of Marlo Stanfield),"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way."

Is that correct? It's not, is it?

No, that can't be correct. I cannot imagine there exists someone who has both that opinion and the ability to read and type.

Again, tell me if I'm missing your point, but it seems as if you're saying that, because there is this fundamental property of...stuff...which dictates that advancements lead to...advancements...in the real world, you don't want this basic principle to exist in Star Wars--that you don't want simple logic in Star Wars to match that of the real world.

Please tell me I'm wrong.

James Cameron made a video game?

Gigoran Monk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.