main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Even Piell Centre for Canon and Continuity Catastrophes

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Arrian, Sep 2, 2012.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    What if Lucas wants the protagonist of the ST to be a 18 year old daughter or Luke Skywalker, though?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He should have thought of that before licensing a set of books in which Luke had a son.

It's a basic premise of, well, life. Choices have consequences.

Zeta1127 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  3. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    They may look older to you but you are probably just comparing them to what you remember them looking like. In anycase you know they are going to fix them up to where they look good and they won't make them so old that they won't be able to do any type of action sequences at all. They will probably be secondary characters in the movies but they still will play a significant role in the story.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Luke has canonically slept with several women before he married Mara Jade. A daughter is not completely out of the question. Consequences indeed. ;)

5. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Or you could just learn to let it go and accept the fact that the EU storylines have been compromised.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll be happy to do that as soon as I receive an acceptable reason for compromising them.

Hint: "Because So-and-So Can" is not an acceptable reason.

Another hint: "Because the writers are lazy ****tards who can't bother to use Wook" is an even less acceptable reason.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I could buy that, not mentioned in the movie, but a pre-movie novel of "the adventures of Skippy Skywalker, the daughter Luke never knew he had!" or something. Ben dies on page 11 or something and Luke gets over his grief by the final page, not needing to be mentioned in the film as well. Big retcon-y type stuff but it could work.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Looks too much like a daytime soap opera for my taste, but it would be better than the overly childish, "Oh oops! I changed my mind."

9. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    What do you mean what I "remember them looking like"? I watched A New Hope on Sunday, bro.

Anyway, how come you get to make them look younger but me suggesting they look older is unacceptable? I now demand the story takes place in 70 ABY.

Am I the only one who fears some really bad follow-up Han/Leia romance? I mean it's impossible for them to be getting along, they have to be just about to break up when the movie starts, right?

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  10. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Sorry but just because someone doesn't do specifically what you want to see doesn't make them lazy writers.

11. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Refusing to adhere to canon with no good reason is arrogance. Laziness could very well come into it, though.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, actually it does. Blatant ignorance of an already-established universe and co-opting already-existing characters for one's own purposes is a sign if either laziness or the arrogance that comes with the "because I can" reasoning.

Of course I'll continue to wait for you to offer me another logical reason. It hasn't appeared the last ten times I asked and I'm not expecting different results now.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If a writer legitimately, truly believes that if they go a different way from established canon it's better for the story that's being told, it doesn't make them arrogant or lazy, it's what they have to do to service their story. Let's say the Star Wars Sequel Writer thinks the movie will be better if Luke never had a kid, it can increase his isolation or yadda yadda yadda, it's an important aspect of the story they want to tell. Why shouldn't they be allowed to do that?

14. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Because he has a kid. He's had a kid for more than a dozen novels, and for more than a decade. That should be respected.

If they want to isolate Luke further, establish a falling out between him and his son. Don't just act as though Ben never existed. That would be lazy.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Because Lucas already approved the story in which Luke had a kid, and people spent time and money on it?

The "oops, I changed my mind--because I can" stance is disrespectful to both the writer and the consumers. I'm not following why this is hard to understand.

Zeta1127, 07jonesj and Mia Mesharad like this.
  16. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I should probably point out that writers love to write - it's easy to get carried away and fixated on one idea. And if you think that idea's great, who cares about those novels, right?

But that's why the Holocron exists, and that's why they hired Leland Chee. No one writer is supposed to be more important or take precedence other another.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Probably because I can't wrap my head around how if they change the offspring of Luke and/or Leia & Han in the ST how it would constitute being "disrespectful"? I wouldn't see it as a personal affront if they changed the next generation of Skywalker's / Solo from what the novels did.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's because you didn't write the novels and get them approved by Lucasfilm.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, but I'm not going to be angry about that by-proxy for the aforementioned novel writer, y'know what I mean?

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I am.

No such disrespect would be allowed a writer of a novel outside a series such as Star Wars.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  21. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Let's keep up with Ben for a moment...
    Ben Skywalker first appears, in person, in the novel Edge of Victory II: Rebirth, and then subsequently either appears in or is mentioned as the son of Luke Skywalker in a further 32 novels, 18 of which he plays a significant adult role. Each of those novels cost approximately 8 to 10 dollars, and for a Star Wars fan eager to get the next bit of the story, that's a total of $320 lost to these novels. Now, all of the sudden we get someone new in here who decides that, well, Luke never had kids. Or he had a daughter named Padme instead of a son named Ben. Well, who's that person we've been reading about all this time? No one, now, he doesn't exist anymore. These thirty two novels now lose their place in the Star Wars universe, and the devoted fans who've shelled out more than three hundred dollars are out some not-so-small change for a stack of paper that while it remains filled with a good story, is no longer true Star Wars. Maybe it wouldn't be all that disrespectful if the Lucasfilm company were to decide that, well now, that's not very fair, here's a refund of your $320 dollars to every single person who bought those novels. Those novels have sold several hundred copies a piece, if not more than a thousand. There's no way the company would be willing to refund that level of profit, so instead you get absolutely nothing but an "Oh well, you should've known better" and a substantial paper weight collection.

That...is disrespectful. And that's only concerning EU continuity centered on Ben.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    And don't forget people- SW has a very unique continuity system. No franchise is nearly as consistent as SW has been. Even the hiccups caused by TCW are nothing compared the crazy things in, say, the Marvel universe.

Just something to keep in mind when talking about respect. ;)

23. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    That makes it both better and worse in this case though. Marvel reboots constantly, so nothing is ever technically considered non-canon, it just takes place in a different continuity or timeline or universe.

As Star Wars maintains one timeline (or at least it used to!), anything invalidated just doesn't happen.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    But what if Lucasfilm puts out some sort of convoluted, in-continuity story that effectively wipes Ben from the timeline? He's killed off or gets trapped in a distant galaxy and the final page says "And he was never mentioned again". Or they go sci-fi and erase his existence, it's still an in-continuity way to keep that those stories "happened". The latest Star Trek movie wiped out all of the TOS-VOY stuff but those stories still happened. It would be better than just slapping a "didn't happen!" stamp across it.

25. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Inb4 Abrams joke.