main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The eventual deaths of OT characters

Discussion in 'Literature' started by kaijueiga, Feb 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaijueiga

kaijueiga Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2001
    It started with Chewbacca. Since Lucas' current stance is that he will not move ahead with Eps VII - IX, will Lucas and/or LFL allow the ultimate demise of Han, Leia, and then eventually, Luke?

2. DarkTreader

DarkTreader Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    I'm thinking not. From what I've heard rumors of, Han, Leia, and Luke are taboo to touch. Thankfully, Mara isn't included in this list! :) (Maybe that means that some wonderful and fantabulous author will see fit to kill her and let Luke regain some of his testicular fortitude)

3. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    mara is cool. why kill her off?

4. kaijueiga

Feb 17, 2001
    "From what I've heard rumors of, Han, Leia, and Luke are taboo to touch."

Interesting...

I am a fan of all the OT characters, especially Luke. But I would think that since the ST is not being at all considered by Lucas, then eventual demise of the OT characters would add a touch of realism to the drama in which the SW saga would be transitioned from the OT characters to the newer protagonists such as Jacen, Jaina, Anakin (?), and/or Ben.

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Minor technical point, the eventual deaths of OT characters started with the deaths of a bunch of nameless Rebel Troopers and Stormtroopers onboard Princess Leia's consular ship, the Tantive IV, not with Chewbaaca. :)

6. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I think we should see Luke eventually passing over as a wisened old Suprmeme Jedi Master at the age of 150 or something.

7. kaijueiga

Feb 17, 2001
    Would the passing of the key OT characters alter one's decision on supporting the EU, let alone SW saga in general?

For some, maybe. At least that's what I've observed when Chewie died.

8. Arjuna

Arjuna Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2002
    I'm just as much a fan of the key OT characters as the next guy, but I would like to see the torch passed on. Who wants to read about Han's kidney stones and Leia forgeting her fiber pill?

9. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    I personally would like to see them shift back to previous eras with the end of the NJO simply because I DON"T want to see my favourite characters die of old age.

10. kaijueiga

Feb 17, 2001
    Perhaps the main OT characters won't be touched for a while since they may still can play a major role in the saga, but I agree. From a drama perspective, the torch should be passed on to the next generation. No one is invincible, mind you even in the SW universe. There should be a sense of realism.

I don't think they'll touch Artoo and Threepio, unless the Vong get to them first. Perhaps other supporting OT characters down the road may not be so fortunate. Lando, Ackabar, Wedge (and I like Wedge)?

11. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    We don't want to see our favorite characters die of old age. But, sooner or later, they will have to die. The only real solution is for writers to kill them "off-screen". Let them fly off into some unknown, distant region of space, never to be heard from again. While fans may assume that their lives eventually ended, the details would never be written.

12. dark_jedi666

dark_jedi666 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    I personally don't think the OT characters are untouchable. Any one of 3 the major ones could possibly die in the NJO or sometime after. I dont think it will happen, but it could. I would have to say that Luke would be the most likely one, because he is the character that can really pass the torch on to the younger Jedi generation. But like I said, I think Luke will move to Dagobah get such an arch in his back that he will rebuild Yoda's hutt and live there, while Leia and Han are put in the GFFA Nursing Home by Jacen and Jaina.

13. Darth_Infamous

Darth_Infamous Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    Luke is untouchable. Lucas will not let his death be written unless it's of old age. That's the only way Luke dies. Check out the end of timetales. Luke still has to redeem his son from the darkside as he did his father.

14. very-superior

very-superior Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Darth Infamous how bout a spoiler warning!

15. Darth_Infamous

Jan 30, 2002
    Why would I put a spoiler warning? That's common knowledge from when Lucas first decided to make Star Wars. Who here doesn't have timetales? Come on give me a break.

16. very-superior

Feb 11, 2002
    Not common knowledge. I had never heard that at all. I am sure there are at least a few others that haven't as well.

17. MynDonos

MynDonos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2002
    i've sure never heard of that before.

18. Darth_Infamous

Jan 30, 2002
    Download timetales, open it up, go to near the end and READ. You probably already have it.

19. very-superior

Feb 11, 2002
    I don't want the spoilers, DI. That was why I said anything in the first place.

20. Darth_Infamous

Jan 30, 2002
    It's NOT spoilers! READ TIMETALES! It was in the original outline for The Adventures of Luke Skywalker. In Timetales under "Lost Worlds" section. Or what was to be SW EP VII - IX, according to timetales.

HERE'S WHAT IT SAYS: (I guess spoilers, though this is something that won't be written/filmed ANY time soon)

?Star Wars Episodes VII - IX.?
    With the Galactic Civil War at an end and the majority of its aftershock battles finished, the New Republic (referred to more as the Republic now, just as the Old Republic was before the Civil War) is continuing to rebuild the glorious Republic that once spread across the galaxy. Luke Skywalker is now an aged Jedi Master, heading up a new legion of Jedi Knights as they once again begin to more prominently become "the guardians of peace and justice" in the Republic. A new threat is raised, a menace carried over from a period about six decades earlier, as a figure from around the time of Anakin Skywalker?s fall from grace returns after being frozen for the intervening years. In the ensuing events, Luke's own son begins to fall to the Dark Side and in a twist of when it was father against son for the redemption of the father (when Vader and Luke battled aboard the Death Star II), it is now father against son for the redemption of the son. Luke manages to save his son from the Dark Side, and the new threat is defeated.
    Thanks to Nathan Butler for the summary.
    (PLANNED MOVIES?Lucasfilm Ltd.--??? ???)

?Star Wars Episodes X - XII.?
    The adventures of Luke Skywalker and his son continue, in the final events that decide the fate of the Skywalker family and the conclusion of the Journal of the Whills.
    (PLANNED MOVIES?Lucasfilm Ltd.--??? ???)

21. DEWORE-DEWKNOT

DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2002
    What

Ben to the Darkside ?

GOOD, Finally a Dark (Sith) Jedi to look forward too.

Is it true ?

22. tanjokabri

tanjokabri Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    Darth_Infamous, that bit in Timetales is just speculation... not fact...

and i can't help but wonder if i would continue reading EU if luke died.. he's my favourite character, and i would be only a little short of devastated if he kicked the bucket...

23. very-superior

Feb 11, 2002
    Yes it is spoilers. It is like posting what will happen in episode 3. Maybe there won't be a movie about it, but probably a book.

24. The_Rogues_Mistress

The_Rogues_Mistress Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2001
    Don't take everything in Timetales for fact. It's an extremely useful tool, but that part is speculation, not fact. And it may very well never be written about.

25. stephengraves

stephengraves Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2001
    Luke has to die as a old hermit in some faraway cave, blind and alone... 'cause that's how the classic heroes (of the various myths that Lucas drew on for SW) passed away.

SG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.