main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Everything Retro Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    such fond memories:

[​IMG]

Saintheart likes this.
  2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The first Super Powers figure I got, when I first saw them on store shelves:

[​IMG]

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I had... let me think - Superman; Batman; Robin; Aqua Man; Wonder Woman; Green Arrow; Green Lantern; Flash; Dr Fate; Hawkman; Firestorm; Lex Luthor; Brainiac; Martian Manhunter; Desaad; Batmobile; Batcopter; Hall of Justice; Super-mobile. The Hall of Justice was awesome; Desaad was crap.

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Always loved this

and of course there was always this commercial that played before the movie on the VHS.

jedinightwing and Juliet316 like this.
  5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I had about 8 of these. Superman, Batman, Robin, Aquaman, Spider-Man, Green Arrow, i forget which others.

[​IMG]

And two or three of the 12 inch, talking GI Joes as well.

6. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Shazam! I had a comic where he met his doppelgänger. That idea has always fascinated me--mirror images, lookalikes, haunters.

7. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    About those Mego figures: You just gotta love the oven-mitt style gloves Batman, Robin, and Aquaman are wearing. I think I only ever had a Superman, which would make sense, because I would've been like three or four and Mego would've really been cranking them out because of the Christopher Reeve films (Also, I've seen evidence that by the late 70s-early 80s the only superhero figures in that style they were putting out in stores anymore were Supes, Batman, Spider-Man, and The Incredible Hulk- I think you know why).

Although to be honest, the only Mego superhero toyline my brother and I got into was the Mego Pocket Super Heroes. The Spider-Man in that line was my regular Spidey figure as a youngling (At least until Mattel made the Secret wars line), and I'd hold my Batman ad Robin figures while watching Superfriends. When Kenner came out with the Super Powers toyline, I was like, "Wow! A new Superfriends toyline!" because that one was the closest thing to one for me.

Funny thing: The Ben Franklin dime store my brother and I got these Pocket Super Heroes figures from pretty much only had the Marlon-Brando style Jor-El and Terence Stamp General Zod ones by the time Super Powers came out, and for my birthday my mother ordered me the spaceship of Lex Luthor's from the line from Sears (The Lex-Soar 7 -powered by a chunk of Kryptonite!):

[​IMG]

Well, we got the ship but none of the local stores had the Lex Luthor Super Powers figure, so we were at that dime store and I got one of those Jor-Els for it anyways, probably thinking that since he's wearing green and the thing has a green and purple color scheme, it would work just as well. Kid logic, huh?

8. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

I love watching old Wrestling matches. Interesting enough two days after this match I was born.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
  10. Isotope217

Isotope217 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2002
  11. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
  12. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
  13. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Leave me alone, it was on Toonami so I watched it. Sailor Jupiter was hot. Plus it was fun back then to get on the internet and try to find pics of the uncensored transformations.[face_tee_hee]

Also remember liking that final battle song. Doesn't do much for me now, but I do remember liking it.

14. Bender666

Bender666 Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
  15. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    Well, since we're on a bit of a cartoon kick...

16. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999

(I find it amusing how the Voltron intro happily mixes it's scale up - the good planets of the 'solar system' bring peace to the 'universe', until something threatens the 'galaxy' etc).

VadersLaMent and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I had the whole Voltron as a kid. All the Lions, all the pilots including Lance AND Princess... Arora? I want to say Arora.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    There's really nothing like Vintage Roddy Piper (Warning for blood):

Edit: It's Princess Allura Ender_Sai :)

DarthMane2 likes this.
  19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    One of the coolest moments in Robotech was the SDF-1 punching the front end of a Zentradi flagship and them releasing an energy blast with its fist still within, then the hull bubbles from front to back and the whole thing explodes. :cool:

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I still have a Rick Hunter action figure at my parents house, somewhere I think.

And wrestling is terrible Juliet. Just awful, mindless ballet for the common man.

21. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    I was never really into Robotech, but I remember seeing the toys around in all the nearby stores where I live, like at the dime store my brother and I would get G.I. Joe figures (I also remember seeing a Transformers Omega Supreme sitting on the top shelf at that place, with a price of $49.99).

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I had the Tomahawk helicopter which was just the best thing ever.

Favourite Joe figure?

23. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Great thing about Thundercats is that it wasn't just popular once, it was popular twice. Once in the 80's and again on Toonami. Two generation of kids liked this show. Interesting enough they reboot it last year, and it last one season. Why?

This is my opinion, but you don't bring order to chaos. Especially when it comes to a kids show directed to a 6 to 10 year old. I'm not knocking the reboot, I 'm sure it was good. However kids love wacky @#$^. That's why He-Man, Ducktales, Real Ghostbusters, TMNT, and so on were popular. They were pure kids shows directed at kids. And even in their wackiness and fun filled adventures there were still times when the darker stories got told. Many shows today have Batman: The Animated Series syndrom. They try to hard to be serious and more grown up just so they can appeal to the older fan. Doesn't work. This also why the He-Man reboot 10 years ago failed. I say show the original He-man show after Adventure Time and kids would fall in love all over again.

Anyway back to Thundercats. IT also had the best soundtrack. I loved Tygra's theme.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Aw, Poor Stossel, that clip will never, ever die.