JCC The Everything Retro Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    such fond memories:

[IMG]
    Saintheart likes this.
  2. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    The first Super Powers figure I got, when I first saw them on store shelves:

[IMG]
  3. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    I had... let me think - Superman; Batman; Robin; Aqua Man; Wonder Woman; Green Arrow; Green Lantern; Flash; Dr Fate; Hawkman; Firestorm; Lex Luthor; Brainiac; Martian Manhunter; Desaad; Batmobile; Batcopter; Hall of Justice; Super-mobile. The Hall of Justice was awesome; Desaad was crap.
  4. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Always loved this

and of course there was always this commercial that played before the movie on the VHS.

Last edited by DarthMane2, Jun 24, 2013
    jedinightwing and Juliet316 like this.
  5. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    I had about 8 of these. Superman, Batman, Robin, Aquaman, Spider-Man, Green Arrow, i forget which others.

[IMG]

And two or three of the 12 inch, talking GI Joes as well.
  6. Debo Force Ghost

star 5
    Shazam! I had a comic where he met his doppelgänger. That idea has always fascinated me--mirror images, lookalikes, haunters.
  7. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    About those Mego figures: You just gotta love the oven-mitt style gloves Batman, Robin, and Aquaman are wearing. I think I only ever had a Superman, which would make sense, because I would've been like three or four and Mego would've really been cranking them out because of the Christopher Reeve films (Also, I've seen evidence that by the late 70s-early 80s the only superhero figures in that style they were putting out in stores anymore were Supes, Batman, Spider-Man, and The Incredible Hulk- I think you know why).

Although to be honest, the only Mego superhero toyline my brother and I got into was the Mego Pocket Super Heroes. The Spider-Man in that line was my regular Spidey figure as a youngling (At least until Mattel made the Secret wars line), and I'd hold my Batman ad Robin figures while watching Superfriends. When Kenner came out with the Super Powers toyline, I was like, "Wow! A new Superfriends toyline!" because that one was the closest thing to one for me.

Funny thing: The Ben Franklin dime store my brother and I got these Pocket Super Heroes figures from pretty much only had the Marlon-Brando style Jor-El and Terence Stamp General Zod ones by the time Super Powers came out, and for my birthday my mother ordered me the spaceship of Lex Luthor's from the line from Sears (The Lex-Soar 7 -powered by a chunk of Kryptonite!):

[IMG]

Well, we got the ship but none of the local stores had the Lex Luthor Super Powers figure, so we were at that dime store and I got one of those Jor-Els for it anyways, probably thinking that since he's wearing green and the thing has a green and purple color scheme, it would work just as well. Kid logic, huh?
  8. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4

I love watching old Wrestling matches. Interesting enough two days after this match I was born.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Kenneth Morgan Force Ghost

star 4
  10. Isotope217 Force Ghost

star 3
  11. Kenneth Morgan Force Ghost

star 4
  12. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
  13. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4

Leave me alone, it was on Toonami so I watched it. Sailor Jupiter was hot. Plus it was fun back then to get on the internet and try to find pics of the uncensored transformations.[face_tee_hee]

Also remember liking that final battle song. Doesn't do much for me now, but I do remember liking it.
    Last edited by DarthMane2, Jun 29, 2013
  14. Bender666 Jedi Master

star 2
  15. Kenneth Morgan Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, since we're on a bit of a cartoon kick...

16. Champion of the Force Force Ghost

star 4

(I find it amusing how the Voltron intro happily mixes it's scale up - the good planets of the 'solar system' bring peace to the 'universe', until something threatens the 'galaxy' etc).
    VadersLaMent and Juliet316 like this.
  17. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    I had the whole Voltron as a kid. All the Lions, all the pilots including Lance AND Princess... Arora? I want to say Arora.
  18. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    There's really nothing like Vintage Roddy Piper (Warning for blood):

Edit: It's Princess Allura @Ender_Sai :)
    Last edited by Juliet316, Jun 30, 2013
    DarthMane2 likes this.
  19. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    One of the coolest moments in Robotech was the SDF-1 punching the front end of a Zentradi flagship and them releasing an energy blast with its fist still within, then the hull bubbles from front to back and the whole thing explodes. :cool:
  20. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    I still have a Rick Hunter action figure at my parents house, somewhere I think.

And wrestling is terrible Juliet. Just awful, mindless ballet for the common man.
  21. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    I was never really into Robotech, but I remember seeing the toys around in all the nearby stores where I live, like at the dime store my brother and I would get G.I. Joe figures (I also remember seeing a Transformers Omega Supreme sitting on the top shelf at that place, with a price of $49.99).
  22. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 8
    I had the Tomahawk helicopter which was just the best thing ever.

Favourite Joe figure?
  23. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4

Great thing about Thundercats is that it wasn't just popular once, it was popular twice. Once in the 80's and again on Toonami. Two generation of kids liked this show. Interesting enough they reboot it last year, and it last one season. Why?

This is my opinion, but you don't bring order to chaos. Especially when it comes to a kids show directed to a 6 to 10 year old. I'm not knocking the reboot, I 'm sure it was good. However kids love wacky @#$^. That's why He-Man, Ducktales, Real Ghostbusters, TMNT, and so on were popular. They were pure kids shows directed at kids. And even in their wackiness and fun filled adventures there were still times when the darker stories got told. Many shows today have Batman: The Animated Series syndrom. They try to hard to be serious and more grown up just so they can appeal to the older fan. Doesn't work. This also why the He-Man reboot 10 years ago failed. I say show the original He-man show after Adventure Time and kids would fall in love all over again.

Anyway back to Thundercats. IT also had the best soundtrack. I loved Tygra's theme.

Last edited by DarthMane2, Jun 30, 2013
    Juliet316 likes this.
  24. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Aw, Poor Stossel, that clip will never, ever die.