JCC The Everything Retro Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    I will have to take your word for it, as I'm not going to click the link.
  2. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    This is what I think wrestling has lost. The money aspect. If you can get a belt and be a millionaire, that's reason enough for people to accept why you put your body on the line, or why you want a gold strap so badly.
    Last edited by DarthMane2, Jun 30, 2013
  3. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Unfortunately with Vince being the only true game in town (and really TNA is so far behind WWE it isn't really funny), that's not likely to change any time soon.
  4. Aytee-Aytee Force Ghost

star 5
  5. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    My first computer
    [IMG]

Before that, in high school, I used to use the computer at my Dad's company for longer papers:
    [IMG]
    8 inch floppy FTW!
  6. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    I remember using those in elementary school, mostly for math games.
  7. Kenneth Morgan Chosen One

star 4
    Here's the computer I used back in high school..

[IMG]

We also had a Commodore 64 at home, but we didn't use it very much.
    yankee8255 likes this.
  8. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Last edited by DarthMane2, Jul 3, 2013
  9. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Of the ones listed, I had the Ewok Village, that D&D one, Castle Greyskull, Eternia, and the Star Trek TNG Bridge (I was collecting the Playmates Star Trek figures by that time that came out).

Another "back in the day" story I remember: I never had the U.S.S Flagg aircraft carrier, Defiant space shuttle, or Terrordrome, but I remember seeing them at the toy stores in the nearest big city on shopping trips. In fact, I can remember seeing the Terrordrome marked down for clearance in the toy section at a Sears we always went to (it was something like $58. If that was the clearance price, I'd hate to see what the original sale price was).

On the subject of playsets, particularly G.I. Joe ones, I read that Hasbro had plans to release a Cobra Island playset for the G.I. Joe toyline around '87-'88. It would've been the Cobra version of the aircraft carrier in terms of size, but a number of factors kept it from being made: 1. Big-ticket items like the aforementioned G,I. Joe playsets didn't fare well at retail, and 2. Bad guy items typically don't do so well.
    Last edited by DantheJedi, Jul 3, 2013
  10. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Of those listed all I had was the Technodrome. Those who commented on the page listed others I had like the Ghostbusters firehouse and TMNT sewer playset. Also had the Wayne Manor playsets from BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS, JP command center playset, and Power Rangers command center. I think those were the only one's I ever had.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I do miss playsets. That Turtles playset based off the new show listed is probably one of the best I've seen in recent years. Needed a roof top for the Turtles to fight on though.
  11. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    I read that toy companies don't do playsets as much anymore because of a few reasons, namely they're too big, so they take up more shelf space, and the fact that brick and mortar toy retail is mainly now controlled by a few companies (Wal-Mart, Target, and Toys R Us), so they have a lot more say in what companies do or don't make. Notice you'll only ever see the large playsets at retail during the holidays, if ever. Not to mention the changing patterns of toy playing amongst children nowadays (Most kids nowadays are probably more likely to want a couple new video games, or a whole new system, compared to something that's static and may end up gathering dust after a few weeks).
  12. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    [IMG]

And what better to give a hyperactive ten-year-old than this: ROLLING THUNDER. Man, not only could this behemoth carry an entire army
    of Joes, it carried more weapons than a Somalian arms market. Machine guns, cannons, surface-to-surface missiles, surface-to-air missiles,
    a mini-tank... damn, even the 120mm carries rockets! Of course if all else fails, Joe could always fall back on his twin battery of ICBMs.

Wow.
  13. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Ah god I loved Rolling Thunder.
  14. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    I think this was the first video game console I ever had. IIRC, the shooting games never really worked well
    [IMG]

That was back in the mid to late 70s, by 80 or 81 the ATARI ruled, and I had finally talked my parents into getting me one. Unfortunately, at the store the salesman talked them into getting this instead

[IMG]

It actually had some pretty good games, but just wasn't an ATARI and was therefore [IMG]

One of the more interesting (if not necessarily very good) games was something of a Lord of the Rings knock-off
    [IMG]

You had to move around on a physical board and then play levels based on where you landed with the goal of trying to collect all the rings.

An interesting (?) aside: we bought it at
    Last edited by yankee8255, Jul 3, 2013
  15. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
  16. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    I kept mentally fanficcing a GoBots/Transformers crossover for years in my head.
  17. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Back to action figures, I forgot I had Kirk and Spock from this set
    [IMG]

And Cornelius from Plane t of the APes (maybe another as well, can't remember)
    [IMG]
    Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Fanfic IS a crime.
    Debo likes this.
  19. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, I'm not ashamed to admit I had Go-bots. I had a larger tank one, the small motorcycle one, and until I found this one Go-Bots website, I didn't realize this large one that turned into a gun (which I brought to school in the first grade, with no problems) was one:

[IMG]
  20. Kenneth Morgan Chosen One

star 4
    I had this, but never could make it work correctly...

[IMG]

I also had one of these, and it was really cool...

[IMG]

And did anyone else here eagerly await the August arrival of the new Sears Wish Book, just to see what new G.I. Joe toys were on the way?
    COMPNOR and yankee8255 like this.
  21. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
  22. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, and the JC Penney and Montgomery Wards ones too. Going through them, they'd be practically dog-eared by mid-December, and pen marks by items people wanted.
  23. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    I had the helicopter too, as well as a moon landing capsule set.
  24. DantheJedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Speaking of Christmas catalogs, does anybody remember how Star Wars figures would come grouped and bagged together, and not on cards, and often with playsets with a cardboard backdrop? I remember having this one:

[IMG]

But I think my dad ended up accidentally throwing away the cardboard backdrop in the confusion of cleaning up after Christmas. My older sister, bless her heart, was gracious enough to play with me with it when our brother was taking a nap, and she came up with the idea of putting it on a white blanket to simulate the terrain of Hoth.
  25. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Speaking of playsets, remember MASK...?

The design of this one stuck with me for years.

[IMG]
    Last edited by Ender_Sai, Jul 4, 2013