The "Everything" Topic - Filmmaking Tutorials, Resources, Etc.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DVeditor, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If you can keep people who've never worked with video from coming in and altering it all the time I think it'd be cool. ;)
  2. metalliandy Jedi Padawan

I dont know if anyone has seen this program yet...but i stumbled across it today on elysiun
    Its called World Machine and can be found Here
    There is a free version, but the terrain size is limited to 512x512. The Standard edition is $40 and a maximum terrain size of 8192x8192.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/metalliandy/oshyan_1.jpg]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/metalliandy/olivier_2.jpg]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/metalliandy/rich_2.jpg]

Apparently it renders quite quickley.
    Looks like quite a steep learning curve, although i havnt played around alot yet..lol
    Enjoy.

3. Daniel_L Jedi Knight

star 3
    Vue 5 will give similar results.
  4. Lightsaber_Monster Jedi Knight

star 3
    Heres a little blender tutorial I made

Hope this helps!
  5. HamillianActor Jedi Knight

star 2
    So I created a filmmaking wiki, which at the moment is hosted on my production company's server at http://riddleplayersproductions.com/wikifilm . But should bandwith and content demands warrant it, I'll move it to its own server.

Right now, it's nothing more than a main page with links to entries that don't yet exist. However, I'll start adding content soon, and I hope other people will as well. I imagine, in the beginning, it will be dominated by Star Wars and fanfilm related things, as I hope that TFNers will do their part.

Right now, it's open edit, but if I have to I'll restrict it to registered users. Of course, if anybody would be interested in helping me run it, then by all means, let me know.
  6. neo_mp5 Jedi Master

star 4
    no tutorials on sound mixing?
  7. Rhys Force Ghost

star 4
  8. neo_mp5 Jedi Master

star 4
    that's the problem, i'm no good at it. i always know what sound should go where, but never how loud it should be.
  9. Rhys Force Ghost

star 4
    You and most people probably. My sound effects knowledge only goes so far as knowing what sounds good where, not what -should- be where, what volume, what kind of sound for what circumstances, etc.
  10. neo_mp5 Jedi Master

star 4
    for me it's just the volumes, it'd be nice to have at least some suggestions as to what should be loud when, and what should be quiet other times. i'm thinking that when the sabres are moving, hums should go down, and when the sabres are clashing, swings should go down.
  11. Kchr1ss Jedi Knight

star 2
    any suggests for a camcorder within 500-1000$ range for film making? Preferably fps possible to change(24 and 60) and best film look for that price.

heh i just looked for clif tutorial or smth similar, best way for making cliffs, land cracks in max. Can these land editors be imported to max later as a scene or smth?
  12. outrider462004 Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought I saw an asteroid creating program on this part of the boards? Anyone know anything about something like that?
  13. Lightsaber_Monster Jedi Knight

star 3
    Im not sure about that film look but I got this camcorder here for only £204 and it great!!

Also Heres a nice camcorder in your range

Hope that helps!
  14. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    Anyone got links to detonation footage that runs on PAL 25 fps? The free detonation footage can't even be imported to my After Effects 6.5. Only if I turn it into a ".dv" file- which results in error footage where you can't see a thing.
    It really sucks that most tutorials and downloadable compositions can't be PAL instead of NTSC. Sorry for the whining.

Are there any good Blender Star Wars models? I couldn't find anything other than two or three, even on blenderwars.com.
  15. darthsithvalek Jedi Master

star 3
    Anybody knows how can I make a website free?

e.g.: mysite.com
  16. morpher-2005 Jedi Master

star 4
  17. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
  18. Krintar Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's something which - though not directly related to filmmaking - everyone should take pains to be aware of:
    http://www.auditmypc.com/acronym/LASER.asp
    In case anyone is still unclear on the matter: You CANNOT 'Americanise' the word laser. Ever.
    [face_plain]
  19. MTL4205 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey does anyone have the ability to capture good fx off of the SW video games?

I don't have the correct hardware for such a thing and I was hoping somebody could help me out.

Cheers
  20. Funk-E Force Ghost

star 6
    It depends on the game. Most of the FX from many of the games are already in the database, though.

But what game and what sounds are you talking about? Usually it's not a matter of hardware at all.
  21. MTL4205 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm looking for a nice long loop of the idle saber hum. I've done my best to loop hums that I've gotten off of various sites but they never sound quite right.

Games like Jedi Academy or Jedi Knight in particular.

I'm not very savvy when it comes to these kinds of things so any help would be good.

I have looked through most of the FX sites posted on here but none seem to do the trick.
  22. neo_mp5 Jedi Master

star 4
    the hums really don't loops well, i don't know why.
  23. MTL4205 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yea I know it.

Quite the area of frustration.

The reason I asked about the video games is cause in Jedi Academy if you just turned off the music and stood there with your lightsaber out you'd get as long of a hum as you wanted.

I just don't have a way of recording it.
  24. Darth_Sidious- Jedi Master

star 2
    Lol, Probably a stupid question but would it be possible for one man to edit a one hour film that was made on a digital backlot and make all of the backgrounds without killing himself within 9 months.

Just wondering if I should shoot on a real set, which is gonna cost be a gazillion smackers or go green screen all the way like Sky Captain but I don't wonna spend every minute of the next 9 months working on CG bgs.:p
  25. MTL4205 Jedi Knight

star 1
    My rule of thumb:

Go real whenever possible

It's ALWAYS worth the extra money

Green Screen never looks as good as the real thing

Cheers
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.