The "Everything" Topic - Filmmaking Tutorials, Resources, Etc.

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DVeditor, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. XackAttack Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey,
    I was curious if there are any websites out there the host their own online film festivals. I did a Google search and there are endless websites on this sort of thing, however, many appear to no longer be in operation (i.e. last update was in 2001). Maybe some of you could direct me to a few recognized online festivals, as well as some maybe not so recognized.

Maybe I'm fooling myself and there isn't really such a thing as an online-only festival...I'm only curious. ;)

Danke,
    -X-
  2. bgii_2000 Jedi Master

star 4
  3. DarthDodobird Jedi Master

star 2
    NP2K has contests but I'm not sure if they have festivals... I don't know. Haven't been there long enough.

Though I do like the idea... it'd be relatively simple to put together, too. Just say, "Hey! We've having a film festival! Send me the links, ya'll!" and there'd be a list of links, with, like, maybe a description and a frame or two, and you could pick which ones to watch or whatever.

That'd be epic.
  4. XackAttack Jedi Master

star 4
    I tried using the forum search feature, but it's currently non-functioning (as usual).

So, I wanted to ask: has anyone purchased any Maya training DVDs collections that are geared towards 3d-n00bs like myself? I know that Gnomonworkshop.com has a very nice DVD collection, but they have so many DVDs that it's hard to know what to get to help someone starting out (plus, I don't have $3,100+ for the entire set, so that's out of the picture). Lynda.com looks like they have a pretty basic DVD training series for Maya as well, but I haven't heard anyone recommend them for 3d app training. Does anyone have experience with 3dbuzz.com's Maya training collection? 80+ of video training for under $300. Good deal.

Are there any other options out there for training in Maya?

Thanks,
    -X-
  5. bgii_2000 Jedi Master

star 4
    You don't have money for the DVDs but you have enough for Maya?
  6. XackAttack Jedi Master

star 4
    Um, yeah actually. $380 for the Maya Unlimited Student Edition (Studica.com). Even before that though, I'll be using the free Maya Personal Learning Edition software to decide on how motivated I am to continue learning 3D.

Anyways, I'm just looking for suggestions as to what training series has worked for people before.
  7. Khalor Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just thought I'd through another useful link into the pot...

http://www.celtx.com/

Celtx: a free, open-source screenwriting tool. It's up to 0.9.71 release, and it's a fantastic product. Exports to PDF, TXT, HTML.
  8. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Woah, thought for sure we had that in there already. Thanks! :D
  9. DMPjedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey that looks pretty cool! Thanks for el linkage :D
  10. WhiskeyGold Force Ghost

star 4
    Before I post, Can we post NON-Star Wars related fan made films links here?
    I made some "action" shots back in the 80's and looking putting them on YouTube. Love to share some with other film making/star wars fans.
  11. Funk-E Force Ghost

star 6
    Asked and answered already. Short answer: Yes.
  12. Cramer Force Ghost

star 4
    "I'm so nice, I'm such a good person.

Make me a mod damnit!"

-Khalor

//Not helpful.
  13. Darth_Bone Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry if this has already been brought up but I was too lazy to search the whole thread.

While searching for information on available digital sound recording options I found two great articles about recording audio on location.

Location sound -The Basics and Beyond

This is a very detailed article about all of the steps involved to make professional quality sound recordings on location. It has lots of information for beginners who just started with audio and it has some good advice on what equipment to buy. Very recommended.

Great audio on location

Not as detailed as the other article but shares some nice tricks not covered in the previous.

Both articles are a good start for beginners of audio recording.
  14. stealth9908 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have a question for the filmakers here. Is a Samsung SC-D453 an ok cam to use for a lightsaber duel? I dont have alot of money saved up and its wut i got laying around. I want the best quality i can get but if it isnt worth it then I will just wait til i can get my gL2.
  15. DVeditor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Up to you really - IMHO you shouldn't really judge your projects by what is "worth it" to people online. By all means please read and learn from the great resources and knowledge people have here, but if you have an interest in making something and it would be a while before the equipment you'd like to use will come along why not at least shoot some practice sessions or something? That way you can learn what you want to do (and don't want to do) later, plus you can look at the footage and figure out if it's something you want to release or not. The important thing is that you're learning and putting what you learn into practice whenever you get the chance. Just some thoughts - good luck! :)

Thanks a bunch for the links Darth_Bone - much appreciated! :D
  16. bgii_2000 Jedi Master

star 4
  17. NateCaauwe Force Ghost

star 4
    Mindola SuperNotecard for Scriptwriting

For decades, screen, television, and theater writers have used notecards to hone their craft. SuperNotecard for Scriptwriting offers distinct advantages over traditional script editing programs.

Click

I've been using this for a whopping 11 minutes. So far, I'm diggin' it, and plan on purchasing it. $34 is a steal, plus you can save a few forrests by using an electronic notecard :)
  18. bgii_2000 Jedi Master

star 4
    Quick & Dirty Video tutorial for keyframing in AfterEffects.

Here
  19. andy1044 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    If possible, I'd like to add my music page to the music links section:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=541261

More info and updates can be found in my music thread:

http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=24815374&brd=10015&start=25234097

20. ortuzero Jedi Padawan

21. Vidina Force Ghost

star 4
    My "everything" lightsaber tutorial is added to the tutorials concerning lightsabers in after effects section..
  22. Luke_Sparkewalker Force Ghost

star 4
    hi everyone, I have some questions about film making i hope someone can help with.

Which camrea out of these two do you recomend i shoot on? - Sony HD HVR-Z1 or Cannon XL1?

Whats the differance between a wide angle adaptor and a 16x9 conversion lens? which should i use?

I think i already know the answers but need that extra reensureince before i dive in. i'm sure you can understand that :)

thanks[:D]
  23. StevenBills Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd go with the Sony cam on that one. For one, it's HD, and so if you need the extra resolution, it's there.

Go HD. You won't regret it.

SB
  24. Robi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    Does anyone have methods on creating Twisters in AE and/or Photoshop? I've always wanted to try that...

-Robin
  25. Son-Of-Suns Force Ghost

star 4
    For anyone getting into greenscreening, TWiT just released a pretty good episode of Inside the Black Box with Dave Macomber: ITBB 9: Homemade VFX.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.