Discussions the evolution of the hyperdrive

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by dejawuu, Mar 18, 2013.

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. dejawuu Jedi Youngling

hello!
    i am doing resreach for a project on how the hyperdrive evolved throught out the seris but information is...lacking, so my adventures lead my here. what i mean is the names and dates of people working behind the scenes in article/books/tv episodes...
    ive read the forum rules so to the best of my knowledge this is the board i need, and ive already tried searching. Any help at all would be greatly appericated.
  2. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 4
    What exactly do you mean by "evolution of the hyperdrive"?
  3. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    I'm going to move this over to EUC, the movies pretty much just treat hyperdrive as a widely used mode of interstellar transport that simply exists.
  4. General Immodet Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The hyperdrive was created by engineers who based their model on the technology the Rakata left behind. It is explained thoroughly in the recent essential guides.
  5. Adrian the Cool Jedi Master

star 3
    In-universe the first known species capable of hyperspace travel were the Celestials aka Architects. They started changing the Skyriver galaxy's fate somewhere before 1,000,000 years before the Battle of Yavin and disappeared from galactic stage before 35,000 BBY. Little is known about them, well they build many important astrographical features of the galaxy, like Corellia System, The Maw, Hapes Cluster and maybe also the hyperspace barrier dividing the galaxy into Republic and Unknown Regions, and surrounding the galactic disc to hinder starships from leaving it.

The Rakata were a slave species of the Celestials, until they freed themselves through a rebellion like also various other reasons. On their homeworld Lehon (Rakata Prime) Rakatan scientists created the modern hyperdrive's force-powered precessor, that the Rakata used to create the Infinite Empire through conquest and enslavery. Final masterpiece of Rakatan technology was the Star Forge, a massive space station factory able to manufacture almost everything out of stellar material. The Infinite Empire has been founded somewhere before 37,000 BBY while it finally crumbled 25,200 BBY.

Humans and Duros were two of many Rakatan slave species. At ~25,6 BBY modern hyperdrive was discoverd by Human scienctists on Corellia by replacing all force-based components with technology. Earlier "hyperspace cannons" invented on Duro linked many important worlds in the galactic Core because ships were unable jumping into hyperspace by themselves back then, until hyperdrive worked like it'll continue to do over the next 25 millenia. The Herglic Trade Empire build and maintened the hyperspace cannon network.

Humans became the most common and important species. Due to massive overpopulation on their homeworld Coruscant, they already have settled the Core and Colonies by using generation and sleeper ships travelling at sublight or barely-faster-than-light speeds, also they have been taken away to new systems by the Celestials and Rakata. I guess hyperdrive started a mass exodus from Coruscant. This culmunated in founding of the Galactic Republic through a unification war.

After this event, hyperdrive did not essentially change. It became faster, saver, cheaper etc. but essentially it always was the same like before Unification War.

Hyperdrive does open a portal into a higher dimension, somehow or not parallel to normal space, were speeds faster than c are possible within, so that starships can travel a distance in normal space faster by doing it in hyperspace, because in first >c isn't a possibility, in second it is easy to reach. How exactly hyperdrive works has not been explained so far, but it collects gamma radiation to open the portal, ships have to accelerate before doing the jump and travel among pre-charted hyperspace routes.

Hyperspace routes are importing, because objects in normal space cast "mass shadows" in hyperspace. Say, a star in real space casts a mass shadow into hyperspace and space vessels travelling at FTL can collide with it. To prevent them from doing this, all starships are equipped with navigation computers having astrographical data about objects in space (not the Firefly episode^^) that cast mass shadows starships must navigate through. Objects in hyperspace do cast mass shadows into real space, too, I assume, so something in real space can collide with something in hyperspace. In earlier days, travellers had to get the navigation data from "hyperspace beacons", due to limitions of computers before 4,000 BBY.

Out-of-universe, so called hyperspace drive appears in a lot of science fiction stories as method for faster-than-light travel. First use is also unknown, Lucas may have derived it from Isaac Asimov's Foundation novels. At all, like Darth_Nub already mentioned, in Star Wars movies, the Expanded Universe and most other science fiction universes featuring it, hyperspace drive is just treated as something that exists and enables faster-than-light travel.
    Most other science fiction universes are similiar to this.

It is unknown if a hyperspace does exist in real life. Several hypothesis and theories based on string theory expect space-time to have eleven dimension. Hyperspace is often treated as more-than-three-space-dimensional to enable FTL speeds in science fiction. I don't believe our universe is the only one, means there must be something like space between spaces. Maybe alternative space-time dimensions, spaces or realities do exist. Likely, if considering so many aspects normal Humans cannot imagine. Flying through them with a starship at speeds way faster than c may be... hard... or something like this...
    Last edited by Adrian the Cool, Mar 22, 2013
    twowolves and Son of a Bith like this.
  6. Son of a Bith Force Ghost

star 4
    @Adrian the Cool's post is pretty amazing. Kudos.

I don't know much about the history of hyperspace travel, but somehow they used to get from starsystem to starsystem in fugly ships like this one:
    [IMG]
  7. Adrian the Cool Jedi Master

star 3
    I added it to the post, starships travel at pre-charted hyperspace routes. The nature of hyperspace routes has been treated inconsistent, some sources claim they are just empty corridors with few or no star systems along them in real space were starships in hyperspace can travel easily and fast, because no stars in real space mean to mass shadows in hyperspace.

In the Essential Atlas, they're physical round tunnels in hyperspace. Ships can only travel in those tunnels, some of them exist naturally, other ones have to be shaped by special starships. Some tunnels are fast, other slower, because of mass shadows.

Gav and Jori Daragon were hyperspace cartographers who tried to find new routes. In Golden Age of the Sith, they use to nagivate through a cluster of stars, so I go along with the first explaination. You have to navigate through mass shadows or collide with them, resulting in destruction and death (makes sense, though^^).

The amount of time it takes to travel between two star systems does not entirely depend on air (space?) line between them. Hyperspace routes, barriers, objects in way etc. have to be taken into account, too. For example, it takes more time to travel from Coruscant to Alderaan than from Tatooine to Alderaan, despite 'scant is much closer to Alderaan than Tatooine far away in the Rim. The Core Worlds are a very dense region of stars, which makes navigating through them without crashing into a star's or planet's mass shadow hard. Spacecraft can't take the direct way because mass shadows are in way and has to be slower, I assume to give the computer time to calculate everything. Tatooine for example lies very near to a great hyperspace route, were only few stars are in way. So you can travel with maximum speed on direct line without fearing to crash into a mass shadow.

Mass shadows have to be much larger and differently shaped than the objects they represent, because normal space is to empty that celestialy bodies could be a threat for crashing. If a starship would fly a straight line inside a galaxy between far away star systems, it's unlikely to collide with a celestial body, space is to empty to let this happen.
    Last edited by Adrian the Cool, Mar 22, 2013
  8. twowolves Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    One of the more popular fringe-science theories put forth by an actual scientist (Dr. Paul La Violette in his book, Secrets of Anti-Gravity Propulsion) is that the speed of light is mutable, like time and space (he cites studies where the speed of light has been shown to slow down and speed up during certain solar and lunar cycles), and is therefore,not a true constant, which explains why Einstein was never happy with his theory of special relativity. He proposes technology based on patented research conducted by T. T. Brown in the late thirties and early forties called electrogravitics in which the speed of light would not only be attainable, but easily breakable because the vehicle would be using field propulsion rather than matter-reaction like conventional rockets. Electrogravitics taps into the "ether" energy proposed by the man himself, Nikola Tesla, and creates a energy loop that is endless to power the vehicle. For a discussion of this, please see: http://etheric.com/ether-physics/

Yes, I know, no such thing as perpetual motion. However, consider the Searl engine, which spun under its own power and flew up through the roof of Searl's lab and was lost. Twice! lol That was before he incorporated a limiter on it. Please see: http://searleffect.com/.

Most of this research (called subquantum kinetics) was classified by the DoD in the 1950's, and T.T. Brown's flying saucer-shaped vehicle was patented in 1938--10 years before the first official "flying saucer" spotting. Moreover, the government has incorporated T.T. Brown's flame-jet engine into the B-2 bomber (notice the leading edges of it's wings are darker) which uses an ion-thrust engine (classified and denied, of course) that is capable of powering the craft should it run out of gas or need to go into space (why else would it carry hydrazine--a chemical used only in the production of rocket fuel?). The positive ion field at the front of the craft where the dielectric ceramic wing coating (per Brown's theory of dielectric compression generating thrust) produces a gravity-well the craft "falls" towards, and this is the key.

There is no limit to how fast you can fall, and in space, where there is little to no friction with air, the stronger the gravity well you are generating, the faster you will "fall" in that direction. Better yet, there is no inertia because the gravity well being generated acts instantly on all particles in the electrogravitc field, so the craft can do 90-degree turns at ridiculous speeds without turning its occupants to pudding! Therefore, you could (in theory) travel faster than the speed of light by many magnitudes nearly instantaneously!

Voila! Hyperdrive!

Also, for those who may not know, we need look no further than this very website! lol Please see: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/hyperspace.html for a scientific explanation of the hyperdrive and hyperspace in Star Wars!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by twowolves, Oct 27, 2013
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth