main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ~*~ The Ewan McGregor Fan Club of the JCC ~*~

Discussion in 'Community' started by Quarantine, Mar 19, 2002.

1. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    New-ish trailer for Salmon Fishing in the Yemen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDam3wVaDFg

Ewan and Emily are sooo frickin' cute together. I love Emily, but sheesh, does Ewan just have chemistry with everyone?!

2. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Hubby went out of town for his work for a couple days so I'm taking the opportunity to watch a couple of the Ewan movies I've been wanting to see.

I just finished watching "The Ghost Writer"..... That was SOOOO Good!! And Oh my, didn't Ewan look good in it? [face_love]

But what a movie!! :eek:

Tomorrow night...."Beginners" :)

3. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Love both those movies [face_love] I finally got through the baftas, Christopher Plummer did win, but was not there to accept. Oscars on Sunday! Ewan is also presenting at the Independent Spirit Film awards on Saturday [face_love]

4. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    I watched Beginners last night, and I really liked the romance of Oliver and Anna, and most of the rest too, but I wonder one thing.

I don't mean any disrespect to Christopher Plummer at all, but how did he win all these awards when in my opinion Ewan acted his heart out in this. And maybe I'm just biased, but Ewan portrayed a sad, lonely, mixed up guy so wonderfully.

At times, my heart nearly broke at how sad he was, his eyes expressed it so wonderfully. And you could here the lonliness and heartbreak in his voice, and then the timid hopefulness when he was with Anna. And the tears he at times shed was so real, and when his father died, the sobbing he did was almost as deep and heartfelt as the scene when Satine died in Moulin Rouge (and the director said on that one that it's a rare thing for an actor to dig so deeply inside himself and pull out the emotions Ewan displayed in that scene...he laid himself bare in that one). Ewan was in almost every scene in the movie, and the scenes where he wasn't shown directly, he was in the next room.

But the clips they always show are the one or two clips where he's not in it, and it seems he's being virtually ignored. He should have received some kind of nod for his performance, which was at least as awesome as Christophers, if not more so...and maybe that's why Christopher always makes a point to acknowledge him in his acceptance speeches, which is very gracious of him.

And I loved the scenes with the dog...I think if I'm remember right it was this movie that inspired him to get a dog of his own...[face_love]

Anyway, thats my take on it...going to shop now. :)

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ewan got another shout-out from Christopher Plummer at the Oscars - so while he doesn't really get to "share" the Oscar, he was acknowledged once again. The gesture was quite nice of Christopher Plummer.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm a huge fan of Ewan's so obviously I enjoy all of his work in different ways, but I have to say... I think his performance in Beginners is one of his very best to date. He's always good, we know that. But this was on a different level. His character speaks so little yet Ewan says so much in every moment of the film with his eyes, body language, expressions. You can tell how deeply he is thinking at all times. One of the biggest things I've realized from working in film and television now is just how incredibly difficult and rare a talent that is for an actor.

I feel like Plummer did a great job in his supporting role and deserves the awards he's gotten, but he himself always seems to feel as though the attention on him has taken away from Ewan's performance. Plummer's been admired as an actor for a long time but had never won an Oscar, so naturally that storyline captured a lot of attention. Which is fair enough. But even as a fan of Ewan's, I was astounded by how wonderful his performance was. It's unfortunate that he didn't receive any accolades for it, though ultimately that doesn't diminish his work.

Beginners was a film that really threw me. It wasn't at all what I expected, but I watched it with my boyfriend last week and we both were blown away by how deeply it resonated. Ewan really showed (as he has before) that he's so much more than a pretty and amusing actor. He is a seriously great actor.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Valairy_Scot likes this.
  7. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Guess I'll have to go see that.

I love expressive acting over "in your face" (I'm talking you, Jack Nicholson, in some roles no matter how entertaining) acting.

When an actor disappears beneath the role, that actor has succeeded IMHO. Ewan truly became Obi-Wan in ROTS (it's been quoted more than once than GL once said, "Hayden and Obi-Wan..." meaning Hayden and Ewan).

A blink of an eye, a hissed breath, little tiny things like that make a character very real.

Ewan excels at that.

(Not to knock Hayden because I've not seen him in anything but SW, but he really scowls well. Overall, I haven't found him a subtle actor. Ian - as wonderful as he was really pulled out the Jack Nicholson when as Sidious he finally converted Anakin to Vader - great fun, but really, way over the top.)

8. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    I saw the two clips above, Serendipityaey...the Yemen one looks like another great Ewan movie...I'm looking forward to it.

Solojones...yes, exactly. Ewan is so much more than a pretty face - he's warm, witty, and very, very talented. And he's a wonderful actor with a lot of depth. I saw how good he is in Beginners...

and Val, I know what you mean. When I watch SW, I don't see Ewan (Oh, I see the same face, but the man - I see Obi-Wan.) The subtlety of his acting in Beginners is what I mean. He gave so much in that role without seeming to - like Christopher Plummer said "He makes acting look easy".

I just really wish he had been recognized more for his work in that movie...and I'm grateful to Christopher that he at least made the effort to acknowledge him. Maybe now when people watch the movie they will see the depth of Ewan's performance at least as much as they enjoy Christopher's.

I would love to see CP's acceptance speech for his award at the Oscars - is it on YouTube yet? Was Ewan there that night?

9. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Real quick - gotta get to work, but I was scanning for Ewan news on Google last night and saw either a critics or a bloggers comment about Beginngers...he said that although Christopher Plummer is a wonderful actor and deserves the accolades he has received, he's not sure his perfomance in Beginners was that remarkable, and that Ewan McGregor was the real MVP of that movie. Yeah..thats right..:p

Later!!

10. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Ewan's work in Beginners is just extraordinary, but it's quiet in a way, and subtle, and he's so good at it but I think that makes it less noticeable in a way. Ewan is notoriously over looked, but I think people know this - like I said before at the SAG awards when Plummer mentioned him, he got an awesome round of applause, more than the polite usual you know? And to hear that from an entire room of his peers, *especially* when he wasn't even there was awesome. That's a huge way to be recognized.

I think he's also notorious for getting his costars recognized, which is another testament to his acting, though I know we all wish it was a little more directly on him. In the end, it's impossible to figure out what kind of artistic work gets noticed and praised, with everything from fanfic to broadway.

Yemen is opening on Friday, I think it will open wide, we'll see. I am *dying* to see it, I love everything I see in the trailers and clips so far - all three characters (I think I have a secret 'thing' for sheiks :p, of course Ewan, and Emily Blunt is divine) the settings, and the theme of faith and finding love and hope and believing in things that are impossible. I started reading the book, because I couldn't wait anymore (I actually thought the movie was coming out last Friday so I was hugely disappointed when I found I had to wait another week) and it's really good, I'm really enjoying it.

Although, in the book the character, at the beginning more, but throughout is super dull, nerdy, passionless and awkward and it's really hard to picture Ewan like this :p I know what some of the changes are in the movie adaptation - movies are sometimes just more glamorous than books, but also Ewan is so naturally charming I think the movie character has a bigger arc than in the book. Anyway, so looking forward to it.

Anyone catch Ewan in any of the press he's been doing in the last two weeks? ... with a new *earring*? o_O

11. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    No! I haven't seen any current things from Ewan....I hope the earring is part of his character on the HBO movie he's making. Where can I find this....are they on YouTube?

12. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I don't' recall him having it in the pictures from when he was filming with Maggie, and I would guess they're done now since they're only doing the pilot, one ep. Here's a pic http://www.celebitchy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/wenn3755869.jpg

There are a bunch of random interviews and such if you search Ewan and Salmon Fishing etc. I've seen a lot of random stuff lately. The best way to get Ewan news is to follow @Ewan_News on twitter :)

edit: It does look like he has it in most of those pics of him filming that I posted

13. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    [face_love](sigh) I just love those eyes - I never saw eyes taht could be so gray and then so blue...[face_love] gorgeous...I wonder if Eve melts everything he looks at her...I'll bet he gives her his best, most charming looks...she's probably melted butter in his arms...[face_love]again..

I remember what one reviewer said when Moulin Rouge came out, concerning Ewan...she said that no human being has a right to be that gorgeous...:D

Anyway, hate the earring. Hope thats not a permanent fixture but only for the part he's playing. It doesn't look right on him. I do search when I can on Google,you tube and other places for current news about Ewan, I'll start searching again for news when I can.

14. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    They do look very grey there, don't they? But when I met him they were very, very blue, I was actually a little surprised. Very intriguing [face_love] Have you seen Amelia? He has a very small part, but he's amazing, I love him in that. My favorite 'expression acting'... she sort of hints at exactly what she wants to be doing, and he gives her this look that can only be described as bedroom eyes... I think my heart stopped the first time I saw it

15. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    NO , I haven't seen that, (but it souonds intriguing) but another heart stopping, HOT scene is a from Serpent's Kiss - I haven't seen the movie, but I've seen this clip several times on You Tube - he's slowly walking toward the lady seductively putting the candles out with his wet fingertips, which he is wetting with his tongue, ultra bedroom eyes gazing teasingly at her. Sizzling HOT scene..=P~

Made my heart beat a little faster just watching it. It wouldn't be a wonder if the lady forgot for a moment that they were acting...:p

16. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I haven't seen that before! Very nice [face_love]

Here's a recent interview, but you can't really see the earring, still cute though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUXdC2fQ9jQ&feature=related

17. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    ... and we're back after the move! :D

18. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Wow,there's a fan club for obsessed people like me?

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Resurrected because several folks have asked me where this thread is.

20. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Thanks! Why could I not find this? #fail Couldn't decide what movie to watch tonight... So now I'm just here

21. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Yay...we're back! Now, someone needs to repost those yummy pics of Ewan that was on the temp boards...(not Obi-Wan..they belong on the Obi thread...and I'm lookign for those, too. Val has started us off with a classic)...

Serendipityaey...still tweeting him?

22. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Yep, a little :) Now and then, lol, don't want him to know - I mean - think I'm crazy :D I posted my fav Obi pic over there! I'll have to find one for here

23. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Here's one of the latest: an ad he volunteered himself for - Belstaff

[​IMG]

All black leather... can I get a heck yes? =P~

24. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Here's one of the latest: an ad he volunteered himself for - Belstaff

[​IMG]

All black leather... can I get a heck yes? =P~