main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ~*~ The Ewan McGregor Fan Club of the JCC ~*~

Discussion in 'Community' started by Quarantine, Mar 19, 2002.

1. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Great find, I haven't seen that one. He seems to be working non-stop lately. I'm interested in this movie, it seems to be a project Don Cheadle has been really passionate about making tho he seems to have had a lot of trouble getting it off the ground, or perhaps he wanted to make it independently so he wouldn't have to listen to a studio. I really like the looks so far tho!

obimom likes this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    serendipityaey have you watched Long Way Down, and Long way Round?

mrsvos likes this.
  3. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Yes, I have. Great documentaries.

4. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    I watched both docs as well as read both books..
    Love his hair in this movie...me being a die hard long hair fan...although Ewan's look in that Australian pic isn't so appealing...too much. But the movie might still be good. Love his hair this length though.

OK, I'm middle aged and think Ewan McGregor is gorgeous, but I don't have any other interest in him other than the fact that I think he's a fantasic actor who is very, very talented in many things....has made some interesting but not so great movies as well as very well made movies. Part of what I love about him is that he loves his wife and family, that he takes that very seriously, also that he's one of the kindest, nicest men in Hollywood.

He makes a lot of movies, which makes it interesting to see what he's up to next. The two bike docs were a fascinating look into him as a real person...and one of my favorite things about the first book (which didn't make the cut on the doc sadly) was when he and Charlie visited the orphanage (I don't remember where now), and Ewan came across a sick little girl who was obviously dying, the orphanage did not have the money to get her proper treament. Ewan spent the rest of their visit there with this little girl, playing with her and cheering her up, and then when they were leaving, he paid out of his pocket for her to get hospitalization and real treatment.

Of course he is humble enough not the have this boasted about on the doc, but it's in the book and just made me more of a fan.

So even though I may sigh and drool a bit over how gorgeous he is, that's where it stops. From there is just a respect for the man, his talent as an actor and singer, and his devotion to his family and children through Unicef, and his love and respect for his parents and brother..which from what I read some time ago about when Eve was considering marrying him, she saw as well and that was part of her deciding factor.

What always impressed me is that someone with his looks could have been a total jerk, as is the case too many times with handsome men, but he isn't.

serendipityaey likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm the opposite. I'm an ugly jerk.

harpua and obimom like this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

I'm pretty content to not rain on your parade and generally let you have your thread.

But, uh, how well do you know Ewan McGregor? Well enough to make judgments of his character like the ones in the quoted post?

Do you really link looks with behavior so strongly? Enough to be always impressed by someone who is both good looking and nice, and to have some sort of perception that handsome men are too often total jerks, in comparison to people in general too often being total jerks?

7. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    I've read comments from people who've had anything to do with Ewan, and the consensus is he is very nice, kind generous. I've heard from more than one person commenting about working with Ewan is that he is one of the nicest guys in Hollywood. Comments from Charlie Boorman, his wife, and even one time from a maintenance worker from the SW who commented that although the other actors mostly kept to themselve, during a break in filming Ewan would go down to the maintenance rooms and talk with this worker and when the worker brought his children in one day, Ewan played with them.

I know the man is not perfect...you could ask his wife and she would be able to list all the flaws in him...as any spouse would of the one they are the closest to, but every single time I've read anything about his dealing in public, it has always been positive, and the article I read the one time that his wife made comments in. Plus just listen to him speak.

Something someone said one time I think has some truth to it. When Ewan was younger he was a bit of the drinker, and was well on his way to having a serious problem. He said himself the reason he quite drinking and smoking was because he realized if he didn't, it would affect not only his career but also his family and they were too important to him to risk losing.

This person said that in their opinion, Eve was the best thing to happen to Ewan early in his career, because she kept him grounded. From what I read about his parents, I think they instilled a deep sense of family in him and have kept him grounded as well. I do think that meeting and marrying his wife was the best thing to happen to him before he became really famous, partly because she didn't marry him because he was famous, but because she loved him, and also because his marriage has in my opinion kept him solid. Yes, he was a bit of a partier early on, but being married and having children became more important to him than partying, and I think that is part of what has helped him become the man he is today.

And no I don't necessarily link looks with behavior, Lord knows there are jerks of every kind and fashion, but too often especially in Hollywood, good looking men (and women) think the world owes them because of their looks and they act like real jerks. There area also kind, thoughtful, decent people of every kind and fashion as well. And I know Ewan isn't the only man who has a sense of family. I think also of Paul Newman, Kurt Russell, and more recently, Brad Pitt who seems to have become stronger in family than he used to be), to name a few.

But they are a rare breed in Hollywood (and maybe there I are more than I think..I just don't hear so much about them)...just look at the divorce rate and the DAWs on the tabloids who can't survive a day if they're not in the headlines. Another thing I love about Ewan is that I DON"T see him on the covers of these mags....I smile that he's not front page news on them. He's a decent man who sees making movies as a privilege in order to support his family, and he appreciates that he gets to do something he loves. (Said by him in so many words in another interview I saw). Also in yet another interview when someone asked him about being a hero (during the prequel days) he said that he is not a hero, he's an actor. The real heroes are the men who get up and go out into the fields every day to work to bring home food to feed their families.

So my opinion of him is garnered from the many various interviews with him as well as other people, comments made by other people, and the fact that there are no tabloid worthy trash talk going on about him. (Now perhaps there is some in Britain but I don't know of it, nor really to I care to know about it).

I just know I took notice of Ewan one day in an interview, and I like what I saw. I loved his portrayal of Obi-Wan, and then the more I came to know about him, the bigger fan I became.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Fair enough, thanks for the answer.

9. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    You're welcome. :)

10. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Very well said obimom I think I really respect the way he grew up, from movie star partier, to working actor, more than anything, and he's just a decent human being. I've met him in person and spoken to him more than a few times, and he's always been kind, generous, and down to earth. More than anything, I love films and he does some of the best work as an actor, to me

Gkilkenny likes this.
  11. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Thanks, serendipityaey. Have the McGregors made plans to visit your family's park yet? :D

I think he's probably too busy right now to take the time to bring his family right now anyway...but it would be neat if they plan to at some point.

Gkilkenny and serendipityaey like this.
  12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    He's also happy to sleep around and cheat on his wife. I worked a bit on Episode II when it was filmed in Sydney, there was a number of attractive female crewers who had either slept with him or been hit on by him. Just saying...

mrsvos likes this.
  13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They probably have an open marriage, afterall, she is French.

And I bet open marriages are extremely common in Hollywood. A case of "I don't care if you do it, but if you get caught and embarrass me, we have a problem."

14. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    I know rumors abound about that, but the way he reacted when he was propositioned in the first Long Way Round book makes me doubt that. Just because she's french doesn't necessarily mean they have an open marriage...if they do I supposed that's their business, but I hope not.

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You don't know if his reaction in the book actually happened, though. That's what editors do... change bits around.

Who cares, though? If they have an open marriage or not, what he does in his private life is really nobody's business, either way.

Appreciating an artist for their body of work is one thing... but presuming to know anything about who they are, personally, is goofy.

16. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    I realize I don't truly if these things are true or not...but there are those everything who just expects that a man like Ewan Does sleep around...

I choose to think better of him than that. I see the love and commitment he has to his wife and children and have a hard time believing that someone with that level of commitment could be anything less.

And what he told in the book is directly from him. I can't believe any editor would change it that muchl.

Gkilkenny and serendipityaey like this.
  17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That's fine.... I'm really not trying to burst your bubble. You just don't know him personally, that's all. Celebrities have publicists, whose job is to make sure they maintain a pleasing image. That's just how it works. none of us know anything about his actual character... as it should be.

18. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I choose to feel better about open minded people who balance on the swords edge

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I actually know people who slept with him. It actually happened.

mrsvos likes this.
  20. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    From Long Way Round, perhaps only slightly better than balls.

He's had enough actions away from hollywood, particularly with his work with unicef - with children, helping children, adopting children, delivering vaccines to the world's most remote places, bringing attention to issues, etc, for me to feel comfortable judging his actual character is fairly decent and admirable in the way he's donated his time, and the clear effort he puts into his charity work and paid work as an actor, if nothing else. His personal relationships are separate from this part of his character, are none of anyone's business, and have little to no effect on how I perceive his character through the majority of his actions.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Did you sleep with any of them? Because then it's like you've slept with Ewan.so when I sleep with you, it's like I have.

@endersai

Ender Sai likes this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    serendipityaey, what you're saying then is that being faithful and not philandering is immaterial to a character assessment? Or that you have a preformed image of McGregor and knowing he was balls-deep in someone I know (or knew) who wasn't his wife challenges that image so you bend the rules?

I'm genuinely trying to understand how you reconcile cheating with good character?

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  24. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I've little to no facts on this particular subject, no offense, but I don't know you and have no way of knowing how much truth you're telling so I would never judge someone based on that. In general, I would rarely judge someone completely on one thing, and try not to ever on personal matters. They are messy, complicated and easily skewed by personal perceptions. Again, in general, I believe there are usually better alternatives to cheating, and yes that can have an effect on overall character assessment.

But I'm not assessing him for any type of personal involvement. I could not care less who he sleeps with, it's none of my business and I don't see anything wrong with an open marriage if it works for them - and whatever they are doing seems to be working just fine. And it doesn't make his charity work less admirable to me. I do know for a fact he's taken time to meet me and talk to me and he was respectful and kind, and that's what I judge people on.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Assuming it is cheating, benderpie.

Don't let that one go, serendipity, or tender eye will eat you alive. Much like Ewan and half the female supporting cast on his films.