main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

THE EWOKS DID NOT DIE AT ENDOR!!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by chissdude10, Oct 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    More over, it's suppose to be the forest moon of Endor. We don't know what happened to the planet. So besides the wormhole, debris could have been drawn to the planet if it still exsisted.

2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Sorry. I call the moon itself Endor most times. Habit. ;)

I think we need fan-fiction for what happened to the gas giant, known both as Endor and Tana.

It comes and goes in various sources.

My personal idea is that the Empire tested a planetary cloaking device on it, to be adapted for the Death Star itself.

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Saxton also refuses to believe that Zaarin was a grand admiral.

"Sanctuary moon of endor" Also known as endor, "Battle for Endor".

And I agree with sturm about the cloaking theory, it explains why the planet was there a few years before ROTJ, how it was gone in the rotj novelization, and why it's back post rotj material.

4. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Exactly. And no one has tried cloaking a planet before, so it's new. And it also seems like a good idea, tactics-wise, if a planet-destroying superweapon can sneak up on a world and blow it up without warning, not letting any ships escape and give word.

On Danuta, they tested a miniature superlaser to fry a lake bed into solid rock after it cooled, so it's a good idea if the Empire tested a cloaking device on a large gas giant before using it on a smaller moon-sized object.

5. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Good point. Cloaking the planet could also help to hide where their keeping their work force during much of the construction. Maybe the workers are kept in the dark as to where they are. Then when they go out and work on the DSII, they see the forest moon and any other planets and moons in the system. Yet without seeing the actual planet, they have no clue as to what system their actually in. So they may believe their being kept on a cloaked ship, not knowing their actually being kept on, or in close orbit around, a cloaked planet. That way, if any of them attempt to get a message out of the system as to where the project is, they'll mislead the folks they send the message to.

6. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Ah, good ideas.

We really need an official fix for this.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Maybe the workers are kept in the dark as to where they are.

LOL! Was that pun intentional?

8. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    ROFL. Damn, I didn't see that one.

9. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Actually, nope. But I thought about that fact as I wrote it down. Works pretty well both ways, don't ya think?

10. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The cloaking device fix is fine, but it strays so far from the original line in the novelization that you might be better off just ignoring it.

Also, more things to consider (from the official site's databank:)
    "In the film Return of the Jedi, a distant orb can be seen along with the green moon, but it isn't large enough to be definitively labeled a planet. Special effects storyboards for this scene call one of these orbs 'Planet Endor.'"
    "The Return of the Jedi novel describes the planet disappearing in a long-forgotten cataclysm, a theory supported in the original printing of the Dark Force Rising Sourcebook. The Ewok television movies, however, clearly showed a large gas giant in the Endor skies. The Truce at Bakura and Dark Apprentice novels also make reference to a large central planet visible from Endor's skies. The Ewoks animated series calls the planet Tana, but also shows a binary system, where all other sources show one sun. The twin suns can be attributed to Ewok lore and myth, rather than a real stellar phenomenon. "

I don't know what's wrong with the TC guy. GODV's wormhole (much as I hate to admit it) explains things nicely. There are even multiple explanations for it:
    #1 The exploding hypermatter opened up a hyperspace wormhole.
    #2 The Emperor's death explosion created it.
    #3 It was created years ago, when the Droid's ship made a rip in the hyperspace/time-continuum in the Star comics.
    #4 The moon of Endor is watched over by a mysterious being, possibly the moon itself. He/she/it could very well have created the wormhole to protect the Ewoks from the fate described in the TC. I like this one the best.

TC

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "The Return of the Jedi novel describes the planet disappearing in a long-forgotten cataclysm, a theory supported in the original printing of the Dark Force Rising Sourcebook."

Like it says it was only a theory. But was disproven later on.

Oh, as far as I remember the GODV itself explained how the wormhole was created. I think it was hypermatter as far as I remember. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

12. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I don't remember. All I do remember is when Ackbar or someone says that pieces of the Death Star appeared on Mon Calamari, and Luke or someone theorized that it was a wormhole effect.

13. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Who was that ewok in RS?

14. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Kettch, but he doesn't really exist.

15. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    What's all this talk about a "wormhole?"

16. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    "Kettch, but he doesn't really exist."

But Lara did find a Ewok, Kolot, at the end of Solo Command.

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Fluke, read all of the posts and you will understand what the wormhole is about.

18. Ender_Teh_Xenocide

Ender_Teh_Xenocide Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2001
    The hyperspace wormhole is from "prophets of the darkside" and "The Glove of Darth Vader", both pre Zahn book as I recall.

As for all the extra pieces, most would have been vaporized in the explosion. And in the new Dark Side SB, it says the Alliance took the scrap to Mon Calmari to study it and that's how Vader's glove got there.

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >Like it says it was only a theory. But was disproven later on.

"...orbit above the green moon Endor-a moon whose mother planet had long since died of unknown cataclysm and disappeared into unknown realms."

That's pretty definite. Of course, the obvious explanation is that Endor just ended up in orbit around another planet later on. That would be millions of years before any of the movies.

>Oh, as far as I remember the GODV itself explained how the wormhole was created. I think it was >hypermatter as far as I remember. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Not that particular wormhole, just wormholes in general. It looks like there may not have been a wormhole after all, though. :(

TC

20. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Uh, technically, Kettch never appeared in any form in Rogue Squadron. However, he did make appearances in Wraith Squadron, Iron Fist, and Solo Command, most of which being a mere mention. However, Kettch did end up as both a doll and a costume for Wedge. But the point is that despite correct answers being given, the book given was wrong.

21. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "That's pretty definite. Of course, the obvious explanation is that Endor just ended up in orbit around another planet later on. That would be millions of years before any of the movies."

No it just depends on who's definition of long ago. For instance to the scientist who hypothesised that theory, maybe 4-10 years before Endor was a long time, a scientist with a short life span would find time to important and any loss of it to be a long time. As well, a disapearrance to him, would seem like a death, if he didn't know how it happened, and only had the Ewoks to talk to for witnesses. Yet he also said it disappeared to unknown realms, which still shows existence.

Yet a many years later, the planet would reapear. The hypothesis would have to change. The only theory no longer being valid.

"Not that particular wormhole, just wormholes in general. It looks like there may not have been a wormhole after all, though."

What are you talking about? How else would the DSII debris land on mon calimari?

"As for all the extra pieces, most would have been vaporized in the explosion. And in the new Dark Side SB, it says the Alliance took the scrap to Mon Calmari to study it and that's how Vader's glove got there."

Uh, what page is that on? I don't remember reading that.

Why would they leave it on the bottom of the ocean if they meant to study it? That is not labratory conditions at all. Infact it poses the threat of contaminating the seas.

22. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    The ewoks should kick vong @$#!!!

23. JediLaw

JediLaw Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2001
    The Ewoks were featured prominently in the post RotJ Marvel issues along with the insufferable Lahsbees (they grow when they get angry!).

Lest we not forget.

Hey, by the way, what happend to Arbra, planet of the hoojibs??????

24. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Death Star 2 explosion = death of Ewoks. Does this mean that Death Star 1 explosion would = destruction of Yavn 4? I know that the thing was closer to the main planet but just a thought.

I agree that the guy who does the TC has a bit of an attitude but most of what he writes does make sense. And you have to admit that he really studies his source material - look at the Star Destroyers conning towers for the level of detail. I do wish however that he would stop trying to explain artistic interpretation as a new class of ship.

25. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Nahh... the only person who can say for sure what is or isn't a 'new class of ship' in Dark Empire is Cam Kennedy... but while Saxton may got OTT sometimes, it's clear that there are at least three types of SD in Dark Empire:

• Modified Victory-class: these clearly use the distinctive VSD conning-tower from the WEG sourcebooks, but I sincerely doubt VSDs would still be serving if they'd not been massively refitted, and the differences between them and the WEG sources

• Imperator-class subtypes: this includes most of the ISD-sized SDs seen in DE - most of the variants Saxton identifies here are probably (but only probably) simply just that: design variants, as the Republic and the Liberator, rebuilt by the NR after Endor, clearly are

• Allegiance-class SSDs: these originated in a misunderstanding between Veitch and Kennedy, but they were concieved and drawn by Kennedy as 2.5-mile-long SDs, far bigger than ISDs, and appear consistently like that throughout Dark Empire: Harrsk's Shockwave from Darksaber also makes sense as an Allegiance-class ship

There are also a few other really big ships around Byss, which are distinctive enough from known SDs to clearly not be known SDs, and therefore belong to at least three other classes...

So in other words, Saxton's argument is valid in the strict terms of the 'scientific method'... which is what he's setting out to do: while it might be plausible to, say, rationalise the Shockwave as an Allegiance, and most of the ISD-sized SDs as ISDs, that's no guarantee that they are; hence Saxton's listing of it as a seperate class...

- The Imperial Ewok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.