main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Exorcist discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Darth_Angelus, Oct 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Angelus

Darth_Angelus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2001
    I've searched for any other thread related to the movie, and since the results were negative, I'm starting one. :)

A few days ago I watched The Exorcista for the first time, on DVD. I haven´t seen this movie before for 2 reasons: first I was too affraid when I was a kid to watch it (the mvoe has always been infamous for its shocking theme and scenes), and then when I grew up (in all ways), such an old movie like The Exorcist couldn´t find a place on my "To watch soon" list of movies.

But now when I finally had the oportunity to see it for the first time, I can say I'm really impressed. It´s an horror movie increadbly well made and so seriously treated that you find yourself wondering if such things can really happen. A major kick in the butt of wannabe scary teen movies like Panic and IKWYDLS.

Now if you ask me if I could sleep in the following nights, my answer is yes, I could. :) I cannot say that I can believe in such things as possession or demons, but I also can't totally discard it. I already know that the movie is supposed to be based on a true story. But since there´s not much information available about it, I don't really know what to think.

What really matter to me are the words of the director Wilhelm Friedrick in the presentation of the 25th anniversary DVD that for me defines what The Exorcist is about, the mystery of faith: if you believe the world is an evil and dark place, the movie will reinforce that vision. But if you think that there´s also light and goodness that defeat evil at the end, the Exorcist is your movie. Good words.

Now what are your insights about this classic film, and let me know your experience with The Exorcist.

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    This thread needs to be narrowed down a bit 'cause of Amphitheater rules, I think... but I'll say my piece.

My 10th favorite flick ever, and the scariest movie ever.

I really disliked Friedkin's commentary on the 25th anniversay DVD though. I thought it was the worst commentary I'd ever heard. All he did was tell the story.

While the movie is amazing, I urge everyone to also check out the book. It would be impossible to bring the whole book to the screen because it would be too long, but I wish we could have had more of the dialogue between Karras and Regan/Pazuzu because some of it is quite clever and interesting.

If only every novel-adaption movie could be as good as The Exorcist!

And if only every "special edition" could be as good an improvement as The Exorcist! I think it is FAR better with the new material; there's not a single thing added that didn't deserve to be there.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2002
    I've seen "The Exorcist" about 167 times and it keeps getting *funnier* every single time!!! ;)

4. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    I love the original Exorcist. However, there's a new "Special Edition" out there floating around in Blockbusters. While it does have the cool scenes like the Spiderwalk, it DOESN'T WORK. The original Exorcist was so carefully editted and fit together. With these scenes stuck back in, the film draaaaaws out forever and is 10 times less scary.

Bring back the original.

5. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Am I the only one who preferred the Special Edition of the Exorcist?

Maybe I just like it because it is more like the book.

Although I will admit that I prefer the original movie ending. It was more cinematic.

Rick McCallum loves you!

6. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I also like it for its Religious undertones. As a Catholic, I felt like I was learning something about my faith. Like how you go about getting an Exorcism and why it is never performed.

A very poignant moment in the movie for me was when Regan met the priest at the end of the movie and hugged him because of his collar. This shows that the devil has fully left him and that she is good again.

Plus, that image of Regan turning her head around 180 degrees is cinematic history.

7. Darth_Angelus

Dec 18, 2001
    A very poignant moment in the movie for me was when Regan met the priest at the end of the movie and hugged him because of his collar. This shows that the devil has fully left him and that she is good again.

I like to see that scene as Regan's recognition that she was saved by a priest, who had sacrificed his life to save hers. Father Karras' act of heroism and selfless was the final proof that the demon failed in his ultimate attempt to show a world without light and goodness. That was what I've got from the movie.

8. Darth_Angelus

Dec 18, 2001
    I didn't know that there were just a few Exorcist fans in the TF.N forums. :(

Too bad. I thought that one thread only about the movie could make a great discussion.

9. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    I don't know if I like the Special Edition or not. I liked the flashed images of the demon you see occasionally, but really are they necesary?

My favourite part of the film is when Regan's mother is walking down a street, she passes two nuns on the other side of the road, leaves are falling as she walks, "Tubular Bells" is playing on the soundtrack. It's got to be one of the best cinematic moments in film history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.