main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Expanded Universe Defence Force :: Home Base

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by jedi_master_ousley, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    THE EXPANDED UNIVERSE DEFENSE FORCE - HOME BASE

This is the ninth reincarnation of the Expanded Universe Defense Force home base. Although new bases have been constructed for various reasons over the years, the introduction of this one is simply because the old one reached 10,000 posts.

Previous base locations:

Version One ? ([link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1124962]here[/link], posted by Ganner)
    Version Two ? No Longer Exists.
    Version Three ? No Longer Exists.
    Version Four ? No Longer Exists.
    Version Five ? ([link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=6800929]here[/link], posted by Jedi Merkurian)
    Version Six ? ([link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=8679471]here[/link], posted by DVader316)
    Version Seven ? ([link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9962267]here[/link], posted by Kwenn)
    Version Eight ? ([link=http://boards.theforce.net/EU_Community/b10194/12890880/]here[/link], posted by Kwenn)
    [i]Other Links[/i]:
    [link=http://s3.invisionfree.com/EUDF]EUDF Social Boards[/link]
    [link=http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWCanonquotes.html]Quotes about canonicity[/link][hr][/blockquote]

[b]Mission Statement:[/b]
    [blockquote][hr][b] [i]The PURPOSE of the EU Defense Force is to defend the Expanded Universe, its fans, and its creators from the vicious attacks, misinformation, bigotry and intolerance perpetrated by ?EU-Bashers.? [/i][/b]

Our goal is to defend the rights held by the fans of the Expanded Universe (also known as ?completists?) to use the Expanded Universe as a basis of their posts across the forums without fear of personal attack. The Expanded Universe Defense Force?s goal is also to defend the right for completists to enjoy Expanded Universe material without fear of being persecuted or belittled by the ?bashers.? The fans of only the movies (known as ?purists?) generally do not fit into this category, but we must be ever careful of those who do.

Such bashers vary in intensity. Some only attack the EU when mentioned in speculation. Some attempt to say that EU-based discussion has NO PLACE in certain Forums. Some attack the EU AND the person who mentioned it. Some attack the EU, the person who mentioned it, the author of the book, his fans and anyone else remotely involved.

Now there are some people who like the EU, but disagree about its use in speculation. These are NOT bashers. There are also some who dislike the EU personally, but don't shove that fact down anybody's throat, but simply state their viewpoint with civility. These, also, are NOT bashers.

Now let me tell you what the EUDF is NOT:

We are NOT a group who goes around and forces people to like the EU. We are also NOT a group who runs in and argues every time someone says the EU is stupid or something. We are only interested in when those people start attacking speculators, fans, or the right of fans to speculate. [b]Everyone is free to enjoy the EU as much or as little as they choose. [/b]

We are the Expanded Universe [i]Defense[/i] Force, not the Expanded Universe [i]Attack[/i] Force. Our goal is to [i]pacify[/i] EU-bashing flame wars, NOT to incite them.[hr][/blockquote]

[b]The Essential Guide to Posting and Defending[/b]:
    [blockquote][hr][u]THIS GUIDE IS FOR ALL MEMBERS OF THE EUDF, REGARDLESS OF RANK[/u]

This guide is to aid the members of the Expanded Universe Defense Force in making positive contributions to the Jedi Council Forums. Originally written by Kwenn during the last edition of the home base, it was put in place to guide members through tough times ? the EUDF was facing much criticism from purists and bashers, and the Command Staff felt that a more thorough set of rules was needed to keep the members in line.

Of course, even the best laid plans would be nothing if the members didn't follow the instructions. So, that's what this guide is for. You don't have to follow these rules to the letter - we're not looking for perfection - but try your best. That is all we ask.

There's q

2. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    And for a bit more personalized post?

I?ve been in the EUDF for almost two-and-a-half years now, and even in that amount of time, I?ve been through a lot. I?d just like to sincerely thank Kevin, Tom, Shawn, Steve, Steven, Kurt, Dom, and everyone else who has been there with me and for me throughout that time. I couldn?t have made it this far without you guys.

JSat was supposed to post this thread, but since Genghis wants us to go ahead and start a new one, DV gave me the go-ahead to post it. My apologies for taking this opportunity away from you, Shawn, you really deserve to be the one to post this.

In other news, this also marks my third-year anniversary at the JC forums as a whole.

3. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Take a good long look people, it'll be a long time before the roster in the first post is accurate again. :p

Mmm, I love that new base smell. :p

4. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    Hi...Uh...I would like to join the EUDF Reserves. I have no trouble spots on my record, and though I don't have time for a full membership, still want to help out.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oooh shiny.

Yes, I still exist. :p

6. saberlord99

saberlord99 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 9, 2002
    Stop it Matt I will blush [face_blush] . For all you new people, the first post is the most important post in this thread. Read it and know it well.

7. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Congrats on a great job starting up our new Base, Matt. You did an excellent job and Im sure that J-Sat will have no problem with it. :)

*heads to new office*

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Incidentally, trianiigirl's username is mispelled on the security section of the first post.

9. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Good to see the EUC's most venerable thread get yet another new home.

10. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    OMG ! Three oldbie posts in a row ! :eek:

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Just to put things into perspective using a rough estimate. The collective EUDF homebase threads alone account for around a half a percent of the total posts made at this site over the years.

12. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    time to end that

13. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    " Just to put things into perspective using a rough estimate. The collective EUDF homebase threads alone account for around a half a percent of the total posts made at this site over the years. "

Hmm, most intriguing...

14. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    It's nice to have a nice sparkly new base - nice job there Matt, especially with the link-i-fied roster. And congrats on the three year anniversary - three years of EU defending, ROTS speculation and enjoyment, general anarchy, and overall SW fandom. :D

Here's to another three years! :)

I_F

15. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Whoa, new base.

And with that, I'm going to request to be put on Reserves, as I'm cutting back on time online (or at least trying to) and haven't really been patrolling. I'll still check the thread, but I'm not really up to being a full-time member.

16. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Is it Defence or Defense?

-The Scummy-

17. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    -RebelScum- posted on 6/14/05 9:56pm
    Is it Defence or Defense? [hr][/blockquote]
    That came up last time... I left it as "Defence" in honor of Kwenn, who spells it that way because he's one of those crazy British folks. Then I mixed it up a bit elsewhere. :p

18. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Hm, room for one more person? I may want to join. (I will check up tomarrow for your answer)

-The Scummy-

19. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    I could bug the Mods to update it more...but I won't.

Matt, that reminds me...I need you to send me the opening post in email, so I can save it...with all that work in it.

I finally purchased LoE and the RotS novelization...should get started on them this week.

20. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Ah new base loverly

Makes sammich for all those here at the moment :D

Puts feet up and debates going on the prowl [face_thinking]

21. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Jedi_Satimber posted on 6/14/05 11:17pm
    Matt, that reminds me...I need you to send me the opening post in email, so I can save it...with all that work in it.
    [hr][/blockquote]
    Under his post, press "Quote Reply". That will give you the full marked-up post. Then save the resulting text (deleting the "[quote]"s). Voila. :)

[blockquote][b]-RebelScum-[/b] [b]posted on 6/14/05 10:03pm[/b][hr] Hm, room for one more person? I may want to join. (I will check up tomarrow for your answer)
    [hr][/blockquote]
    Certainly - we're always looking out for new members. We're about to start a whole new round of Cadets on training, so hang tight and we'll get you started as soon as we can. Darth Real Life's assault is never ending, but the end of the battle may be in sight. :p

I_F

22. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    damnit Matt.

I wanted an email from you...I outrank you, remember? :p

23. trianiigirl

trianiigirl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 21, 2002
    Holy cow, a new base! Shiny!

*goes back to lurker-mode*

EDIT: awww, Jello noticed that my name was misspelt. Nice to see it's all fixinated and stuff now.

24. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Hey, where's Tie? I can't get into the Silver Squadron's offices and barracks without the key!

Its so nice to have a new base. I wish the boards were moved, though.

25. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    *keys in override so Liz can enter offices*

Thinking about having mods update the roster reminds me of the days when DarthAttorney was cool enough to do it for us whenever I annoyed him with an update PM (which was pretty often when I first started on the Command Staff, believe you me).

Ah, the good old days... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.