main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Expanded Universe Senate

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Sinrebirth , Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Looming from the mists that have engulfed the planet for these lost months, a mass of machinery arises, engulfing the dilapidated building that was the site of the Expanded Universe Community Senate. The metal and girders and construction, part fuelled by technology, part by the machinations of the Force, slides into place, and a gleaming pyramidal structure engulfs the mushroom-shaped structure of the Senate.

The pyramid is a mass of glass on a dark background, a venerable dark prow, jutting from the landscape for the stars.

This is the Palace.

In the place of a broken shell of democracy there is this pinnacle to authority and power.

In the Well of the Senate, surrounded by Senate pods, a massive protrusion lies at the centre of the chamber, a massive, oversized Throne to the centre. On the back of the throne is inscribed the Constitution to the Senate. All is as before, apart from a new layer of government, above them all. The Moderators of the Realm have taken a new name:

Emperor.

The Emperor's power is supreme, but the Senate exists, as a stratification of government below, that is democratic in nature and construct. Yet they exist at the pleasure of the Emperor, for all eternity.

And so, as new elections take place, an Emperor takes the Throne of Balance.

The Constitution of the Expanded Universe Community

I. AUTHORITY
    1. The Chancellor
    a. Casts two votes or has the option of "No Opinion."
    b. May call Senate Discussions.
    c. Chief ambassador to all elements within the JC.
    d. Cannot also serve as senator of a thread. He/she must appoint a new senator to represent his/her thread while serving as Chancellor.
    e. Any Senator may call for a vote of "No Confidence" in the Chancellor. If one additional Senator seconds the movement, the Chancellor or any Senator will have the option of addressing the Senate, then it will go to a Senators-only vote. If 3/4 of the votes cast are in favor of removing the Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor will take his/her place until a new Chancellor can be elected. When a new Chancellor is elected, he/she may choose to appoint new Aides and Ministers.
    f. The Chancellor's term shall last approximately six months from the day the vote ends and a winner is announced. He/she may serve no more than three consecutive terms. No less than a week before the Chancellor's term is up, new candidates will be selected and a new vote taken. If a new Chancellor is elected, he/she must be ready to take the position the day the former Chancellor hands over the office.

2. The Vice Chancellor
    a. Casts one vote.
    b. Cannot also serve as senator of a thread. He/she must appoint a new senator to represent his/her thread while serving as Vice Chancellor
    c. In the event of the Chancellor's absence, serves as Acting Chancellor, and may choose a Minister to be Acting Vice Chancellor

3. The Ministry
    a. Minister of Foreign Affairs:

i. The Minister of Foreign Affairs’ duties include aiding the Chancellor and Vice Chancellor with interacting with new threads that do not qualify for Senate membership.
    ii. It is this Minister's responsibility to invite threads that have recently qualified for Senate membership and introduce them to the Senate.
    iii. They will be responsible for reporting the status of the Senate to threads who's Senator is absent.

b. Minister of Intelligence and Security:

i. The Minister of Intelligence's duties include the supervision and observation of all EU Senate representatives and member threads, specifically focusing on thread activity and Senator contributions to the Senate and their thread.
    ii. The Minister of Intelligence is expected to make judicious decisions regarding the safety of the Senate and its attendees and ensure the security of the Senate from would be attackers.

c. Minister of Information:

i. The Information Minister’s duties include the regulation and enumeration of all EU Senate votes, and the operation of the EU Senate PM notification system.
    ii. The Information Minister is expected to inform all Senators and Moderators, through the EUS_Update sock, of current EU Senate issues, discussion surrounding the topics of upcoming votes, and all other information that the Chancellor or chair of Senate Discussion deems important.

e. All Ministers are equal to each other and to all Senators.
    f. Ministers may hold any other position within in the EUS, with the exception of the Chancellor.
    g. Ministers are appointed by the Chancellor.
    h. Ministers may choose up to three aides to assist them in their duties and to cover for them when they are absent.

4. Ministerial Aides
    a. Ministerial Aides are chosen by the Ministers. They can be any EU regulars and do not have to be directly affiliated with an EU thread/club.
    b. They can assume individual responsibilities and titles, such as Ambassador to [insert thread name].
    c. A Minister chooses a Chief Aide who will assume his/her duties when absent.

5. Senators
    a. Senators are chosen by the founder or recognized leader, or elected by members/regulars, of their thread.
    b. Each is allowed two Representatives of their choosing to act as their aides.
    c. Senators cast one vote, representing the feelings and needs of their thread, in the Senate.
    d. Cannot be a spammer, a flamer, a basher, a troll, or a sock of a currently placed senator.
    e. Must have been a registered and active user (i.e. you are a fairly regular poster and have accumulated many on-topic posts) on the Jedi Council forums for at least 3 months. You also should not have received a ban for any amount of time for flaming, spamming, bashing, or trolling, although in special instances, this may be voided.
    f. Should participate regularly in the thread they wish to represent and in the EU Community forum in general. This does not include posts that are off-topic, irrelevant, unwanted, or debilitating to the thread in which they are posted and refers to serious on-topic posts replying to a given subject.
    g. Should be prepared to contribute to EU Senate discussions, operations, and events, and understand the responsibilities they will hold as a Senator.

6. Senator and Representative Activity
    a. Senator and Representative activity in the EU Senate thread shall be monitored by the Minister of Intelligence, who will incorporate their findings into their weekly Intelligence report.
    b. Definitions of Inactivity:

i. Three weeks (21 days) of no participation within either EU Senate thread (Upper or Lower House).
    ii. One missed EU Senate vote.

c. A Representative of a missing Senator will be contacted by the Minister of Foreign Affairs advising them that they may need to temporarily replace the Senator in the EU Senate, unless the member thread would prefer to select a new Senator.

---
    II. SENATE DISCUSSIONS
    1. The Senate shall be in a permanent state of discussion regarding policy, issues, etc. relating to the EUC forum. This discussion is open to any user, not merely those involved with the Senate in an official capacity.

2. The Chancellor or a simple majority vote may close discussion on a single topic when they feel the time is right and there is no more need for discussion. At such time, the issue will either be brought to vote or be dropped.

3. Discussions will be chaired by the Chancellor. In the Chancellor's absence, the Vice Chancellor will chair the discussion.

4. All participants will be expected to behave in a dignified and respectful manner and obey the ToS/RoC at all times. If there are problems concerning this, the chair and the Minister of Security will attempt to mediate any conflict or deal with any offenders, if necessary by going to the moderators. In case of a continuing problem, a 2/3 majority may expel any participant from the thread for a period of time determined after the vote.
    ---
    III. VOTING
    1. The Chancellor has two votes, each Senator has one. Representatives, Ministers and Aides have no votes unless they are serving in their superior's absence.

2. Senators and the Chancellor may also choose not to cast a vote and say "No Opinion."

3. The Chancellor or any two Senators may call for a subject to be voted on.

4. Anyone may request the Chancellor call for a vote.

5. Elections for Chancellor and Vice Chancellor will be held on a Bi-Annual basis. The election dates will be January 15 and July 15 each year.

6. The Chancellor is voted into office by a majority vote. Anyone can be nominated, by themselves or someone else.

7. The current Chancellor cannot vote in the election and must use his first vote as a tie-breaker only, unless he is running him/herself and therefore the vote is not used as a tie-breaker. The tie breaking duty will then go to the EUC moderators.

8. Any Senator can call for a vote to change the Constitution. Two Senators must second the movement before it can go to a vote.

9. 3/4 of the votes cast must agree for the Constitution to be changed.

10. If ever there is a tie (except in an election), the Senate will discuss the matter further and vote again or come up with an alternative solution.

11. All voting periods will last for a minimum of 48 hours. The Chancellor has the power to add any extra time he or she deems appropriate to any voting period.
    ---
    IV. DEFENSE AND LAW ENFORCEMENT
    1. Flaming, trolling, and spamming are all considered provocations. The official definitions of the JC will be used. Any other complaints will be voted on by the Senate as to whether they should be considered transgressions.

2. If a member or non-member thread provokes a member thread or an individual is provoking a thread or another individual, complaints can be made to the appropriate Senator, who will then involve the Chancellor and Vice Chancellor to attempt to help resolve the matter. If they are unable to reach a compromise, the Senate will discuss the situation and vote on further action.
    ---
    V. EXTERNAL RELATIONS
    1. Every official of the Senate will represent the EUS to the best of their ability.

2. The Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor, Minister of Foreign Affairs and their Aides will be the only officials with the power to officially represent the EUS to the JC Administration, Moderators, Managers and non-member threads.
    ---
    VI. INTERNAL RELATIONS
    1. If Senate officials cannot get along, the Chancellor and the Minister of Security will attempt to help them resolve their problems. If they are unable to do so, then the Chancellor may call on the Senate to vote for the removal of the troublesome party or parties. A 2/3 majority of the votes cast is needed to remove a Senator. Aides and Ministers can be dismissed by the Chancellor alone.

2. All member threads and EUS officials are expected to refrain from provoking one another.

3. Threads are eligible to join the EUS once they reach at least 250 posts, but not before.

4. A thread is no longer eligible for membership if it remains inactive for more than 14 days.

5. All Senators of member threads are encouraged to participate in the Lower House

prj1 likes this.
  2. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    There is no such thing as a Throne of Balance so long as a Sith sits in it Sinre. The voice of the People will be heard and your new Tyranny will not stand!

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    All smoke and mirrors with you Sinrebirth!? Time for the Winds of Change to blow your smokescreen away.....

With CPL_Macja as Chancellor and myself as his Vice Chancellor, I would like to put it forward to a vote in Two Weeks.....nominate your second Sinrebirth, and let's lock horns.....oh, thats right, Mac and I don't have any..... ;)

4. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I would like to put myself forward with Lenea as my VC. We shall run too!

*if nominations are needed I can wait for that*

(and with that, I go to bedI-) )

5. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    You can't run with a Sock account.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  6. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Excellent I like this idea Sinre[face_devil]

7. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    Of course you would Tee. You are nothing more than his little puppet.

8. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    I'm not a puppet I do what i like and i tend to agree with him on somethings not all

9. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    Really? Then why do I always find you one step behind him everywhere I go?

10. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    I'm not behind him now. He isn't around;)

EDIT: I'm getting tired i'm miss spelling.:p

11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    But when he appears you are there.......hiding behind him!

Macs right Skywalker, can't run with a sock........Sinrebirth would have done that already if he was allowed too!

12. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    You are highly mistaken I do not hide behind him. I'm more of an associate than grunt

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Hmmmm.....Talking the talk..... ;)

I might be behind Mac, only a half a step, but I didn't come from his ranks, I am an independant. ;)

14. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    Addie stands by my side. Neither of us follows either one. We are united.

15. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Nor do I.

16. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    That remains to be seen Sith Witch.

17. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    That's Dark Lady to you Gr. Master Jedi;)

18. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I like his version better. ;)

19. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  21. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Of course Jello, it makes life exciting and interesting!

22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I announce.... Bardan as my Vice Chancellor!

23. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    And you do it nekked? Typical Attention Seeker.... o_O:rolleyes:

24. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Senator Sundancer reporting for duty!

25. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Very nice, I do like what you have done with the place Emperor. However, I do believe that for now, that is my throne. [face_skull]

As my first decree with the last of my remaining emergency powers I declare that henceforth the month of September shall be known as Sithtember. [face_devil]

I demand a roll call of the Senators and the threads which they represent, so that we may conduct new elections.

I see that some nominations for Chancellor have already been made. These are out of order, but given the nature of the current situation I shall allow it. I eagerly accept the nomination of Vice-Chancellor on Lord Sinre's ticket. In these turbulent times we need strong leadership, best provided by a strong Chancellor/Emperor and his ever present enforcer.

Long live the Emperors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.