main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Expanded Universe Senate

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Sinrebirth , Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Is there [face_coffee] to go with it?

Sent from a Galaxy far away via R2-N6

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Gross!! Tall glass of cold Milk! :D

3. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I prefer a nice black coffee with my cake...YUM!

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    How about something EU characters related.

A monthly 'get to know this EU character' or 'get to know this underrated EU character' or just a monthy EU wide character disucssion topic of some kind.

The character featured could be chosen by rotating through the different active fan clubs and having those individual clubs choose what character they might like to see discussed by the EUC as a whole. We would just need to find a way to decide who gets their turn when.

5. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    ^this, I like.

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    We've done something like that in the past and I think it worked fairly well. A central thread to hold the discussions with the topic changing as needed or do you want to put a time constraint on things?

As far as deciding who goes, I can draw names out of a hat. That seems to be the fairest way. I'd ask for Senators to check in and say they'd be interested in coming up with a topic.

7. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I think a time thing would work best.....thoughts everyone?

8. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    That sounds like a good idea to me.

9. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Works for me.

10. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I think it would work better as having an individual topic for each character with maybe a month dedicated to that character.

If everything ends up in one thread a new person could open up the topic only to have to sort through a ton of discussion about characters they have no interest in. On the flip side I could see one character one month moving to another related character the next month, in the same thread, being an interesting dynamic.

I'm just not very solid on how to inlcude the clubs that are central to one character as they are kind of already single character discussion groups. I'm just concerned that it may prove to be somewhat redundant if we had two very similar Kyp Durron discussions going on at the same time for instance.

11. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Also, this needs a special name.:D

12. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    I agree with you on redundancy being a problem when taking on characters for whom there is already a thread devoted to them, but I would have to add that having a discussion of this sort might make it more interesting to the rest of the community. Although with how few people actually visited the last thread the senate put up I have my doubts about that theory...

ma_petite likes this.
  13. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Maybe the concept could start with a 'getting to know' type approach that is very low key and even funny. I was looking at the Jaxxon topic that the good General created of late thinking that he would have been a fun 'Get To Know' type character that would have encouraged a lot of fun(and funny) discussion.

A lot of folks here are drawn towards the more infomal social aspects of the forum - look at the legend that Waru has become over the years. There are tons of these types of characters around that could be 'discussed'.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  14. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Side question... When is the next User Awards for the EUC(/everywhere)?

15. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Someone has visited the SWC recently. :p

Pretty sure we decided to do them in spring and fall. I know we went ahead and did them right after the move was finalized. But I believe they were forgotten about this past spring. :(

[​IMG]

BultarSwan likes this.
  16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Who did them last time?:confused:

17. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
  18. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    What the Mando said.

19. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    Everything got shifted around when elections got moved

20. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Me did?!?![face_hypnotized] Wow, who'd have thought I was even capable of that?!?!

21. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    You had help from one of your "spies" :p

22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Now you've confused me as as I have totally lost track of my spies now a days! :p

23. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm willing to run them this time if we'd like to do them now. I lose track of time/seasons on the boards so the awards never occur to me.

However, we need to finalize the topic discussion first. Remember etiquette people! If you want to discuss a topic please send a PM to myself or Jusik so we can add it to the list.

BultarSwan please use the EUS sock to PM all the Senators and ask them to report to the Senate to join in the discussion. I'm really looking for amount of interest before moving further with this.

I would like to know how many thread have an interest in holding a topic discussion in their own thread vs creating a thread specifically for these discussions.

In the past when we've done something like this there has been a completely separate thread for the discussions (not for each discussion, but one thread to rule them all type of thing). I know that has worked well in the past and I don't want to have discussions that interrupt the already flowing nature of some of our threads. I also think the discussion thread (with an ever changing subject line) could pull in users who don't post specifically in the fan clubs but do post in the random threads. I've seen more of them lately around the EUC and I'd like to pull some of them into some of these discussions and maybe lure them into participating further in the EUC.

So let's say we have a Mando discussion for a week. At the end of the week there are a couple users who would like to continue it, but we're moving on. They could say "Hey, lets reconvene in the Mando thread (link) and discuss this further." Boom. We've suckered recruited another EUC user into a fan club.

Thoughts?

I'd also be willing to pick a Legacy or Dawn of the Jedi character to start with as a getting to know you, funny thing. I'm pretty sure I could write one up (if no one else wants to start us off).

Katana_Sundancer and Robimus like this.
  24. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm in favor of having a separate thread for different characters. The BMC certainly isn't fit for this type of discussion :p

zarkinfrood, Robimus and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I concur.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.