main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fable Series - Fable III out now!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by wild_karrde, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Well, five more days til this comes out! :)

Evil.

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    My collector's edition has shipped!

I think they're just playing it safe as Monday is a holiday here, but it just might turn up tomorrow. [face_praying]

3. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    This doesn't ship in the UK until the 29th :(

4. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah, we usually get games the Friday after they ship in the US, but sometimes we get them on the Tuesday. It's usually the big releases that get that special treatment.

5. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Are you guys getting it from Amazon, Gamestop, Wal-Mart, or Best Buy?

Apparently a preorder from Amazon or Wal-Mart gets you exclusive weapons/tattoos, in-game gold, and a $20 gift card.

Best Buy and Gamestop offer similar in-game exclusives, but no real-life incentive, IIRC.

6. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    I am most likely getting mine from GAME. I have no idea about bonus content they might offer. They usually do something.

7. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Got mine from mightyape.co.nz.

8. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    Crap, Gamestop.com is sold out of Fable 3 LEs.
    [face_frustrated]

Luckily Amazon still has some.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I hate you console gamers. I hate you all. :_|

(nb. yes I could just buy it for the 360, but why would I do that?)

10. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Because it's your only option? :p

Does anyone really think a PC version is coming? I'd be surprised.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The PC version was due on the 26th, same as the Xbox version, but they announced an indefinite delay sometime in August. So, unless you're suggesting Lionhead and Microsoft are complete liars and will just go back on their word.. :p

12. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I'm sure Lionhead is the innocent party in this. Microsoft probably delayed it just to boost the 360. I wouldn't be surprised if they totally cancel it, just like they did with Alan Wake (although that backfired with poor sales).

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. The more innocent assumption is that they wanted to free up development resources to polishing the 360 version, but either way...

I don't think they'll totally go back on their word. We'd waited forever for a PC version of Fable II that never came, but in that case they never said that it would, and were clear they had no designs to do so. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be one of those ports where the PC version actually has better graphics, like KOTOR. :p

edit: if I don't hear anything about it in a month, though, I'll just buy the 360 version when I go home for Thanksgiving. Until then, I guess I'll just avoid this thread starting Tuesday :p

14. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I'm sure a PC version will look better, and I was actually looking forward to getting it on PC when it was first announced. But I can't wait, I'll have to settle for second best. :p Although I didn't anticipate Fallout VG would be so engrossing... I hope I can cope with two massive RPGs at once.

And I should have my copy in about 24 hours, but I won't be spoiling anything. [face_peace]

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I just want it for the mods, and the ability to make multiple saves (I like making "waypoint") saves. I tried it for Fable 2, using one of those things that lets you back up 360 hard drive data on your PC and it was just messy. I don't like yanking out the hard drive, I feel like I might break it. :p

16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I wasn't super pleased with 2 and while Fable 3 is intriguing, I'm inclined to wait for reviews before I run out and purchase the game this time.

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I wasn't terribly pleased with the first Fable and for some reason I can't recall right now I went and bought the second game. If was a bit fun and owning all of Albion proved to be an interesting challenge, but the story was far from compelling and its endgame even less so. Unless 3 gets some incredibly gushing reviews, I won't give it the time of day this time around.

18. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    [image=http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/MedievalSam/photos/DSC06913.jpg]

There must have been a crackdown on retailers selling games early, I've never seen this before...

[image=http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/MedievalSam/photos/DSC06912.jpg]

19. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    I preordered mine yesterday. Should arrive Friday or saturday.

20. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
  21. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    I still don't find what was so bad about Fable 2. Am I missing something?

22. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Not at all. If you enjoy a game, you're definitely not missing out on anything. Fable II sits with an 89 on Metacritic, which is currently higher than Fable III, so it was quite well received. Obviously it wasn't a game for everyone, and there's always a vocal minority that cry out when the game isn't for them.

23. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Yeah it seems that the vocal minority all congregate on tf.n :p.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I greatly enjoyed Fable 2 and it's one of my favorite games ever. It's nowhere near the likes of the holy trinity: TIE, RTW, and Morrowind--but it's a good game.

25. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Mixed feelings about III so far. Somehow it manages to look worse than II in some places, yet better in other places (mostly environments). The new "sanctuary" menu system takes a lot of getting used to. At first it felt really clumsy and counter-intuitive but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer a classic menu screen. At least there I know where everything is!

The voice acting is excellent though. It's great hearing John Cleese and Bernard Hill play off each other. Hill really sounds like he's having a good time, his character certainly doesn't hold anything back (unlike the kingly Theoden).

I've gone with the female hero (as usual for Fable), and while her voice acting is good, she has a slightly goofy look about her. Not that bothered though, I'm just focusing on the end game where I'm going for the Elizabethan type monarchy; firm, fair and LOVED (although might not be able to afford all the promises I'm making).

The setting doesn't quite match though, as it's set in the early industrial era. Everything has a more Georgian aesthetic, from the slums of Bowerstone Industrial district to the Napoleonic uniforms of the soldiers. There was one quest where we were defending a fort from hollowmen by using mortars, it all looked like an episode of Sharpe, but had the humour of Blackadder thrown in. :p

In the end, it's a Fable game through and through. It feels and plays exactly the same as II, so if you didn't like that one I doubt this one will do much to change your mind.