main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fable Series - Fable III out now!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by wild_karrde, Oct 25, 2006.

1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I also love the sense of time that's passed since the previous game. Bower Lake (now called Millfields) is populated with huge estates and other small buildings, and the road from Bower Lake to Bowerstone Market is completely lined with houses.

I should have mentioned the game breaking bugs earlier. I'm usually fairly lucky with bugs (didn't see any in Fable II, nor anything game breaking in Fallout NV), but at least six times accessing the sanctuary has caused the Xbox to lock up. I haven't heard of anyone else having the same issue, so I dunno what's causing it.

2. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Why do you guys always get games before us :(

Still I got an email from GAME yesterday saying my preorder had been dispatched. So who knows maybe I will get it before Friday. Unless it has one of those big ass stickers on it like Zacparis. I am very much looking forward to this game though. Can't wait. ARgh.

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Beats me, but it's annoying. I don't know if it's because kiwis live at spitting distance of the international date line or something. :p

But look at it this way, they give us reviews usually before the internet sites and mags have published theirs. It's like...they're from the future, man. They can tell us if Armageddon 2012 will happen so we can have time to kisso ur a$$es goodbye. [face_skull]

4. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    I was referring to you American's too :p

5. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So Gamespot.com gave Fable 3 7.5/10, saying that while the story was improved, the combat is boring and the characters, while funny, aren't emotionally interesting.

6. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    IGN's review is pretty much along the same lines. Honestly, my curiosity about the game would've only been piqued enough for me to give it a chance if there had been a review at 9.0 or higher.

I feel pretty much the same about Fallout: New Vegas. As much as I loved Fallout 3, the "it's ok kinda-good" reviews it's gotten so far have only kept me marginally interested in getting the game at a later date, but not by much.

Here's hoping the next Assasin's Creed might fare better. Otherwise, my holiday gift-giving to myself will be partically non-existant.

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Well, seeing as how my biggest gripe with Fable 2 was the lack of a good story, I think I want to give this one a go. Unfortunately, my fiancee insists that I wait for Christmas... :mad:

EDIT:

What's the verdict on this game btw? Two friends of mine got it today and they said they were disappointed with it and that I shouldn't buy it. Here was what one of them said: "Multiplayer sucks, it's so laggy and glitchy. The story is ok at best, and they limited alot of the stuff you could do in previous fables. Overall you can tell the game was rushed hardcore, they needed to spend a few more months working out the bugs... I loved the fable games but after this one I wouldn't get another. "

8. zac_the_ripper

zac_the_ripper Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    Do people really play Fable for the story or multiplayer?

I hardly ever noticed those elements in Fable II, yet I played through that game countless times. For me Fable is about doing things. Be they good or evil, killing stuff, buying and selling, collecting and watching your character transform. It's just a giant sandbox, full of silly and stupid ways to play the system, and I've never been disappointed with it. That's how I'm treating III, I don't really care about the characters or what they're doing, I just enjoy the voice acting. I mean, the story is bascially Dragon Age all over again, and even that is a retelling of who knows how many other stories.

9. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    I wish there was a better way to look at items rather than going to a pawn shop.

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    For me, story usually plays a big part in my enjoyment of a game. That was one of my main gripes with Fable 2. Fable 1's story was superior, imo. But as for multiplayer, no I don't care about that. But I think he meant that the game as a whole was buggy, which was something that several reviews I've read also stated.

11. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    At the very beginning of the game, you can find the black chicken outside the kitchen when you lead your friend back by the hand. The black chicken will begin to walk along a set path and will stop near one of the gardens. If you try to kick it, it will fly straight up and occasionally disappear.

12. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So then the game could have done with a few more months of testing and polishing?

Is it worth getting at full price? Or should I wait until it drops down and there are some pre-owned copies floating around?

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    You have learned my lessons well, boy: you've truly become a penny-pincher when it comes to gaming. :p

14. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    lol

My fiancee offered to buy it for me if i really want it...Should I let her get it for me, or should I wait for AC:BH? Or should I just get Reach?

15. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Game Informer Review

I'm come to trust Game Informer's opinions on my RPGs over the years. :)

Evil.

16. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    Here I am being abused by the main character: link

17. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    In regards to that Game Informer review, I've read a couple more of their reviews and compared them to Gamespot's reviews and it seems like Game Informer generally gives games one point more than Gamespot but they maintain the same complaints. So it actually looks their scale is simply not being measured the same way Gamespot (and other sites) do it. For instance, a 7 at Game Informer is generally a 6 from Gamespot, but both rankings equal a "fair" ranking from both sites (more or less).

I'm generalizing of course, but I've compared several reviews between them and it just seems like Game Informer is more generous with the number ranking but equally observant with complaints and praise.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Dammit man, stop bein' a pansy and a penny picher when it comes to GOOD games. Be your own boss. Get Reach AND Brotherhood. 'Nuff said.

19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    so basicaly fable 3 is overrated and i need to either rent it from gamefly or wait 4 months and get it at like $30

20. JediKnight20043

Sep 18, 2004
    Here we go. How about you guys stop caring what other people think and judge it for yourself?

I think that given Fable and Fable 2 (which yes I did enjoy and thought was good) I think Peter deserves my money.

But in case you do care what other people think. I will post my first impressions later/tomorrow.

21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Not for one and two he didn't. Especially two. What an utter dissapointment it was. Peter Molyneaux is famous (or is that infamous) for making grandiose promises he can't keep. I know by now not to be swayed by this particular used car salesman.

Caring what other people think and how the game is rated by others IS important, given that if you do spen $60 or more for it and you end up dissapointed, it's $60 you lost or that could've been spent on a better game.

22. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    I thought Fable II was fantastic. I'm enjoying Fable III, but it has a lot of glitches/framerate issues--too many for such a high-profile game. They've also taken a step back when it comes to item management and expressions (both of which were better in Fable II).

Also the dog doesn't seem as intelligent as the one from Fable II (wasn't that intelligent to begin with).

It feels much easier to go on about what's wrong with this sequel, but...it's still really fun somehow. I'm not sure how I'd rate it yet, but I want to keep playing.

23. zac_the_ripper

zac_the_ripper Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    Don't get any of them. Get Fallout New Vegas instead. :p

I've just reached the ruling part of the game and I think I'm done with it for now. I didn't realise being monarch was so binary; SPEND X AMOUNT OF GOLD AND X CITIZENS WILL DIE. Come on, really? I'd rather play Sim City at this point. The game's got less and less fun the more I play it, and most of the quests are pretty dull and uninspired. This is the biggest disappointment of the year so far for me. I'm resisting the urge to trade it in, Fable II took a couple of attempts before I clicked with it, maybe III will be the same.

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I read a review this morning on IGN that solidly thrashed the game. Main thing above all is that the final decisions when you reach the end game simply come down to how much gold you can (or can't) spend to keep your promises. And getting money is no issue at all if you start investing wisely and do something like staying out in one safe place, leave your Xbox on overnight, and accrue income every five minutes, by the following morning you should have accrued more than enough gold that you'd know what to do with. Maybe it's cheating, maybe it's not, but at least the final decisions you made in Fable 2 -- such as they were -- you'd have to live with thir consequences for good or ill. If getting money is no challenge whatsover, it means you can keep ALL of your promises, no compromise is made, and therefore there's nothing whatsoever challenging or rewarding about said endgame...other that you'd be one well beloved benevolent ruler (if you choose that path I suppose).

25. Asterix_of_Gaul

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah I read it...

I'm still playing, but I agree that it feels like a step back...really disappointing unless you didn't like Fable II anyways.