main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fable Series - Fable III out now!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by wild_karrde, Oct 25, 2006.

1. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    That is clearly cheating, yes it may not involve any codes. But lets be honest, if you put Godmode on in an FPS it makes there be nothing challenging or rewarding either ;).

Its like your purposefully going and trying to say bad things about the game just for the sake of it. Yes you don't like the Fable games. You don't need to come into threads and moan about it all the time though. :p

2. zac_the_ripper

zac_the_ripper Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2004
    Leaving it on actually works? I left the game for a while and when I came back it was automatically paused, and I was under the impression the gold income had also paused. Maybe not, I'll try it when I feel like going back into it.

3. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

I thought Fable 2 was average but I managed to enjoy those parts of it that seemed to reference the first game's story. I really liked the first one...

I'm still on the fence about this but I may end up getting it. It's just a matter of when.

4. Bremaine

Bremaine Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2010
    I'd like to get Fable III, but can't afford it. Super glad I got Fable II for free when xbox.com made that mistake of giving it out for free.

Anyways, I heard Fable III got mediocre ratings. Like nothing special but still a good game.

5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The controller won't pause if you wire it (say to the recharging USB wire). If you leave the console idle (say, overnight) it shouldn't automatically pause with this setup.

And the way I see it, if you play the game or leave the console on from 6AM till you go to sleep, how is that cheating as compared to the method of leaving it on overnight?

6. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Less of a cheat than what you could do in Fable II, which was to reset your console clock to some date in the future and rake in the accumilated wealth. Never did it myself (rather not risk jacking up my 360 for something so unnecessary), but I saw the posts of people who did.

Anyway, I like the game (despite it's overzealous removal of anything that looks like a menu...cause lord knows, actually choosing an appropriate emotion/interaction doesn't work nearly as well as the game randomly picking crap or heaven forbid you'd like to know how much health your character has or eat an apple instead of a mutton pie...)

Anywho...

My biggest issue isn't so much the "quirky" user interface changes, but the glitches. One in particular could eventually become a game-ender as Fable III will off and on claim the active LIVE account has been altered and will boot you back to the title screen (once when trying to start the game and another time when trying to join in on my husband's game). No other game does this. And yes, with the new Xbox dashboard update which also preps for Kinect and alters your avatar, it wouldn't surprise me if something in the background has been changed by MS. But the fact that even if you delete all game information (I restarted a character that I had hardly made any progress on when this error first hit), the game STILL won't let you play until the glitch decides to go away...it would REALLY suck if we ever get to a point it happens more frequently or never stops.

7. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Every time I convince myself to just go ahead and get Fable 3, I read something like that and am forced into putting it off once more.

8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Caring what other people think and how the game is rated by others IS important, given that if you do spen $60 or more for it and you end up dissapointed, it's $60 you lost or that could've been spent on a better game
    \
    a-freakin- men

9. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Yeah, true. It's like an investment. You don't just jump into random investments without doing some research.

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So it's occurred to me that if I want to play an awesome RPG with great story-telling and spectacular reviews/ratings, maybe I should just get Dragon Age Origins. I've never played the first game and by now it's less than half the price of Fable 3 (and better reviewed, from what I've read).

What do you guys think? DA or Fable 3?

11. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    DA:eek: is a good game, tho I found the learning curve a bit to sharp for my taste (not big on RPGs but Maulfly is slowly converting me)

If you do go with DA:eek:, there are two ways to go about it; get just the base game for whatever cheap price they have it at, or go for the GOTY edition, that incudes every peice of DLC including DA:Awakenings, for $60. Basically think of it as gettiing all the DLC from the past year free.

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I bought a used copy of Dragon Age and, I kid you not, it did not last more than an hour on my 360's tray. I hated it. The graphics left a lot to be desired, and the isometric gameplay -- as well as the mute PC with lines of text to choose dialogue from -- is in my view a huge step back from the awesomeness of Mass Effect. I can't recommend it, unless you're a hardcore classic fantasy RPG lover. Valyn, stop pussyfooting and just buy Reach. Or simply wait for Assasin's Creed.

13. JediKnight20043

JediKnight20043 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 18, 2004
    Although if you like The Elder Scrolls games you might like this also. I'm not anywhere near a hardcore classic fantasy RPG lover but I did enjoy DA. Especially the multiple beginnings.

14. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Haha, you just want me to get Reach so that you can kill me countless times in multiplayer. :p

Hmm...I've heard that Dragon Age is like KotOR, which is what got me interested. But if it's more like Morrowind, then no thanks. Morrowind didn't last longer than like 20 minutes in my 360.

15. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Who, me? Perish the thought! :p I know you, Halo MP isn't your thing. But the campaign alone and the online (and even offline) Firefight mode ARE worth the price of admission.

I never played Morrowind more than a few minutes myself because I just didn't like what I saw. DA:eek: is like KOTOR in the sense that you get to choose your own noble, neutral and snarky replies to your otherwise mute PC from walls of text like in KOTOR. But I don't think the combat system is that similar. Then again, I never got more than a few minutes deep into it because it looked so damn FUGLY and the interface was confusing as hell! Only good thing I got from it was an unused code for Shepard's Blood Dragon armor in ME2.

16. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Dragon Age: Origins is like A Game of Thrones crossed with The Lies of Locke Lamora crossed with the Darkness That Comes Before.

Mass Effect 2 is like The Empire Strikes Back crossed with the Wrath of Khan crossed with Aliens.

I loved both, but they're not for everyone, and they're definitely targeting similar but different audiences.

17. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    Basically the most awesome game in the universe.

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Almost. Almost. It's on my shortlist of GOTY 2010 candidates but it's got some serious competition with Red Dead Redemption and possibly some of the Q4 2010 blockbuster titles.

19. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm Commander Shepard, and I approve of this message.

20. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    OK, so we're discussing Fable in the DA thread, DA in the Fable thread, and now Mass Effect? 8-}

Carry on.

21. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    dragon age is great.

22. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    Yea, I heard Dragon Age was good.

23. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    [image=http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9615/motivatorfc4ab8bc7c9e8e.jpg]

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I gave up and just bought the Xbox version. Game arrived in a single day (o_O) but I won't be getting to my console for a while yet. Blast it! :p

25. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I finally finished it last week. While it has its flaws, I might play through again being evil and see how it plays out.