main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fable Series - Fable III out now!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by wild_karrde, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I got to hold it today. :p

I think I'm gonna go ahead and pick up the Limited Edition just for the Spartan Armor & Laser Sword. They just look too cool and I'm a sucker for stuff like that.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Agreed. I don't have a 360. :(

3. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    First official review is in:

Official Xbox Magazine gave Fable II a 9.5 out of 10, but the big winner was Fallout 3 getting a perfect score.

(Which is no surprise, considering it's coming from the house of splendiferousness that is Bethesda.)

One of the cooler things I saw mentioned for the game was that magic doesn't take up magic points. Nope, just like swords and guns, you can now blast away to your heart's content. Which is pretty cool. Also, armor is just for appearance; it's your stats that determine how much enemies can **** you up.

The Fable II review said that the game is everything Molyneaux said Fable 1 would be.

OXM said that the only real issue with the game is its length. However, it was kinda confusing, because they said that the main story's length is 18-20 hours, but they wished they could have done more with Albion itself.

I've read countless reports that the sidequests are huge and many. Some mag's even claimed an entire experience of roughly 50-60 hours.

4. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Umm...well...get one! :p Really, they're much cheaper now than they were 2 years ago. Besides, you're missing out on a LOT of quality games.

5. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I never played Fable 1 but I am anticipating this new game very much. The 21st will be a day long remembered.

6. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    don't suppose anyone could scan and link the reviews...

:snoopy

7. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Perhaps OXM reviewers didn't do the side stuff and stuck mainly to the MQ? If you didn't touch the sidequests, even Oblivion could be made super short and I'm sure you'd only see a fraction of the map. I suspect if someone really wanted to in Fable 2, they could easily spend that time just working jobs and fooling around in pubs.

Even if it turns out a relatively short game, that just makes it easier to replay for those that want to try out different senerios and character types.

8. sith_hunter117

sith_hunter117 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2008
    After watching hours of gameplay videos, I can tell this will be more like Oblivion. You have full freedom to do just about anything. I'm not getting this game when it first comes out, but maybe sometime around christmas i can go out and get it.

9. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    I think I'll be picking this up after work when it comes out.

The only reason I waited for Oblivion was because I didn't have a 360 (and was avoiding getting one until they had worked out most of the launch bugs). I don't think I'll be able to wait so long for this game. Based on all the videos and some gameplay reports from those who got it early, even if it only delivered half of what PM was describing, it still looks like the sort of game that would be right up my alley.

Speaking of video, they should be releasing the final video in the series IGN had been posting sometime today. The first three were on the different aspects of the combat system, yesterday's was on expressions (and relations with NPCs), and today's is supposed to spotlight the differences between Good and Evil. Hopefully, they'll have a few good shots of what physical changes to expect.

10. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    it's actually out already maul. and they have some decent shots of what kind of differences there are. i doubt there are any that are as extreme as you can become though.

11. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    Cool. I'll have to take a look. Yeah, as much as PM is into not "spoiling" the gamers and attempting to keep his mouth "shut", I'd seriously be surprised if they gave the extremes away. But you never know. :p

12. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    you know, the more i've read of PM's interviews the more i like the man. a bit arrogant, but he's very genuine in his enthusiasim. gotta admit he did make a smart move after fable, and if he's held to it (the not talking about anything that's not implemented and showable) then this is going to be one of the best games in a number of years. game of the year material, which i seriously hope is the case.

13. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    True, you've gotta admit that he's enthusiastic about his product and it can rub off on his audience. Makes him a great pitch man...as long as the product can live up to his hype.

From what I've read, that was apparently one of the bigger problems with Fable (can't say from experience since I've never played it myself)...he promised waaaay more than the game could actually offer. If you go by the interviews and articles, it at least looks like he's learned his lesson from last time (that or the PR and R&D people managed to put a leash on him) and is being a lot more careful.

Again, even taking his hype with a grain of salt, it looks like a good game overall.

Finally had the chance to read the article related to the last video over at IGN. Nice how they have the system set up so it's not just "Good" and "Evil" but also "Pure" and "Corrupt". You can be "Good" and "Corrupt" (think of someone saving the world that's a lazy, gambling glutton) vs "Evil" and "Pure" (vegetarian destroyer of worlds, for example).

So many combination choices... [face_mischief]

14. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Well i guess its kind of like the D&D alignment, True Neutral, Chaotic Good, Chaotic Evil, Neutral Good and so on... But yeah, being a fat slob who kills everything between being drunk (or during) will be cool.

The 21st is gonna be awesome. Not only does Fable 2 come out, but bioware is going to officially announce their game.

15. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    that's supposedly not the only things that have effects, just the four major ones. it was supposed to be a total of four i think, not to mention other minor things. but those may be more how the world reacts to you than actual character changes.

and yes, compared to fable he has been a VERY good boy. it was a good game, but as he said not even the bible, kama sutra and the complete works of shakespear combined could have lived up to the hype.(paraphrased)

from some of what i've read of how people were playing, and then the interviews with PM with suggestions from said individual, this is a game that you really need ot think a little differently with. look for more creative ways to complete things. i found it absolutely amusing two of the quests that've been mentioned, and then the different ways PM said you could complete them.

on another note, whose gonna let the girl get scarred?

16. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    I guess it depends on what the details of the situation will be when I get to that point of the game. That and which character I'm playing as.

I think my first run will be the character where I just play as "myself"...don't really go to great effort to be overtly good, bad, pure or corrupt. I'll probably even try to avoid looking at a strategy guide (we'll see how long that lasts...I practically collect the things).

Assuming all goes well and there truly is good replay value like I expect, I'll make more "specialized" characters.

Still trying to decide if I want to play as male or female the first time through, though... :p

17. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i was thinking the exact same thing. normally i figure out how i want to play the game through, but with everything PM has been saying about how he wants people to NOT do that i think i'll humor him. besides, might help me learn a bit about myself.

i'm going male the first time through because i have this... character i created in NWN that is perfect for later. she ended up the ruler of hell after HOTU. rich, evil and charasmatic.[face_devil]

i believe there will definitely be some major replay value with this one. very definitely.

18. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    LMAO... [face_laugh]

Oh, the YouTube Rick-rollers are starting to come out in force. You gotta admit, just days before the game is released for almost everyone and only a few lucky people who already have it are posting gameplay videos, it's the perfect Rick-Roll bait! [face_mischief]

19. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    LOL!

no kidding. i'm trying to avoid any more spoilers than i've already seen though, so i'm not looking.

i'm shocked, but i've honestly been rickrolled exactly once. and that was because someone put together a WC3 level that had it. and you couldn't leave until it had played all the way through. five times. everyone there wanted to KILL the guy.

20. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Best Buy shipped my order. Should arrive Tuesday. [face_dancing]

21. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    Oh that's evil, dude. Five times?! LOL...

Niiice. I'll probably go out hunting for it around midnight. Usually we have no problem finding brand spanking new games at Walmart on release night.

22. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    yep. five times.

already got it paid off, just gotta pick it up. might be able to on monday, actually. our store here everyonce in a while lets you get them a day early if you have it pre-ordered.:D

23. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    So you planning on doing any online co-op off and on? :D

The co-op patch supposedly should be available by the end of the release day.

24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    if i ever get a modem and can do live... yea, i'd love to be able to do some.

however, definitely be doing some couch co-op.

25. sith_hunter117

sith_hunter117 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2008
    Actually I'm pretty sure the co-op feature will be ready once you enter the disc into the tray. I'm still gonna have to wait till my mom is satified with my grades, and then I have the hard decision: Google Phone or Fable 2. Right about now I wish I had a job.