main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fable Series - Fable III out now!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by wild_karrde, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Maulfly

Maulfly Moderator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Well, depends on when you put the disk in the tray. ;)

The people who have gotten the game a week early (because stores broke streetdate or Newegg accidentally shipped a few early) currently can't actually use online co-op. The patch isn't on the disks, but will be a dl from LIVE. Right now they're anticipating that the patch will be ready hopefully no later than the end of release day.

Still, those who got the game early are reporting that they can see the glowing orbs of their friends in their game and can chat with them, so that aspect is working currently.

I'll probably be up for off and on LIVE co-op, though I see myself doing a bit of exploring around on my own first. Depending on how things work out, I'll probably do a lot of co-opting with the hubby...but we'll see. :p

Sith_hunter117, even when you have a job, more likely than not you'll still be wishing you made more money to cover expenses. If it comes down to it and you decide you need the phone more, remember that you can always initially rent Fable 2.

2. sith_hunter117

sith_hunter117 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2008
    Ehh I already have a phone, and it's just a reward i get for getting straight A's. I really want Fable 2, it just looks sooooooooooooooooooo niiiiiiiiice [face_love]. Does anyone know how character customization goes as far as Fable 2? I know Fable didn't really have much of a feature.

3. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    the customization was actually one of the major things they were focusing on.

also, if you need to you can probably find a used copy before terribly long because of someone being upset with it.

:snoopy

4. DarthRevan211

DarthRevan211 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 17, 2008
    This and Fallout 3 make me happy to own a 360.

5. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    anyone else read the reactions to fable getting a 9.5 and fallout getting a 10? everyone was flipping out over a .5 difference in the score, and saying that there's no way that fallout 3 deserves a 10, or that if it's a ten then fable's a 20. that fallout 3 is boring quickly (despite the fact it's not out yet and no one's played it, as well as all of the people who HAVE played it saying the opposite). *shakes head and laughs* sooooooo stupid.

6. sith_hunter117

Jul 18, 2008
    Even if I do find a used copy, GameStop will rip me off and put the price down like $.0000000002 like they usually do.

7. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    thought they were usually at least five dollars different...

there's also waiting a little while, if you're not absolutely desperate to have the game.

8. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    Customization in Fable 2 looks like it should be pretty good.

You get to pick between being male or female at the start; can alter your look directly by changing hair color and style, tattoos, and clothing (or lack of...); you can change your look indirectly dependant on your behaviors and habits (want your character to look like Jabba the Hutt with legs...feed him or her a bunch of pies); can decide what abilities and skills to put points towards...make your character super strong and they'll look hulked-out; alter how everyone reacts to your character by treating others well or poorly.

I read somewhere that when your health drops to zero, instead of dying you're knocked out for about 30 seconds (less if you use special items or potions). During this time the bad guys continue to attack your body. The more powerful the baddie, the higher the chance they'll leave you with some really nasty scars that you can't get rid of and that villagers react to.

Obviously, won't know for sure how well the system works unil tomorrow (well, after midnight). [face_mischief]

9. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
  10. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Uhg...I'm so strapped for cash right now that I'll basically have to choose between getting this one or GoW2 for the foreseeable future.

11. Burning_Hatred

Burning_Hatred Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 30, 2005
    I've already put down $55 on my copy. Thank God for trade-ins. :D

My GameStop's actually having a midnight release party kinda thing, which should be pretty cool. Don't know what they're gonna be doing, but it should be something entertaining while waiting for midnight to hit.

12. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
  13. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    Here are a few vids I've found floating about that might be of interest.

Official Launch Trailer

Five minutes of HD video from the Fable world. Looks like early gameplay video...no obvious spoilers (but if you're sensitive, you probably shouldn't be looking at vids, anyway...)

HD video of gameplay

There are also a series of videos that bronxsbat put up on YouTube that seem to be with the intent to show off game mechanics and give a few basic tips. Again, no obvious story spoilers in the episodes I've seen...but since this is a gamer-created vid rather than official stuff, always beware if you're afraid of being spoilt.

bronxbat's YouTube profile page (link is to his profile rather than directly into any of the videos...in at least one video you gotta look out for a couple instances of strong language, but nothing extreme)

14. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
  15. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    I think the thing with Fable 2 is that the experience you get from it really depends on if you're the type of gamer to get into the sim-like play of some RPGs and take your time developing it or if you like to rush around and pay more attention to just completing missions and grabbing achievements.

I've already seen people who just don't get the dog and can't stand it and people who are totally in love with the dog (mainly because they actually pay attention to it and welcome its use as a device to alert them to what's going on around their character). This is probably going to be one of those games that you either love or hate depending on your play style, expectations, and whether or not you can accept the results of your in-game actions.

16. sith_hunter117

Jul 18, 2008
    I have to wait till maybe November 14th for this game. I dropped the idea for my google phone till maybe next year, so I'm gatting Fable 2 hands down. I would be happy to co-op with some of you guys come November.

17. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i agree with you on that one maul. there are just some games that polarize everyone. movies and books too.

18. Maulfly

Oct 23, 2001
    By then, they should have any kinks worked out of online co-op, so I'll probably be game. Just add "360" directly to the end of my username and you have my gamertag. ;)

Well, it's like when people thought that Halo 3 and Mass Effect would be the end-all/be-all for everyone. No game can be perfect, especially not for everyone out there. For what they are and what their target audiences are, they're great games. But if you're strictly a platformer or puzzle gamer...you're probably not that into something like Halo 3 and getting your rear handed to you by the Flood from all directions.

Same, I would think, goes for Fable 2 and Oblivion. Yes, the games are hyped...but if you KNOW you're a hardcore FPS gamer that can't stand constant rambling by NPCs....RPGs might not be your cup of tea and you probably should know better than to go out and buy the LE version and the CE guide when you could just rent it first. :p

(Don't mind me...spent a bit of the day looking at a couple n00b posts on a different board.)

Anyway, barring Wal-mart suddenly not stocking new releases or GameStop not having a couple extra copies for walk-ups, I should be getting the game tonight. :D

19. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I shall never do business with Bestbuy.com again. After 4 times trying to straighten out my address, including on phone call, it was still shipped to the wrong address. Luckily, I caught it while monitoring the tracking. My local post office is more competent and they left a note for my carrier so she knows to deliver it to the proper address. But it's ridiculous that BestBuy still got it wrong after all that. :oops:

20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    going to go and pick it up myself in about an hour. :D

21. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    I went to my local walmart and saw this in the shelves at around 10:30 and said "Wow! They're selling it a day early!" So i take ti to teh counter and attempt to buy it and it says that i can't buy it. Damned people put it up for sale an hour and a half early. So im gonna be going back in an hour or so to pick it up again.

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Looks like Europe likes this game better than America.

23. DarthBobbalot

DarthBobbalot Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Well i just went back at 2am and same story. And the chick that rang me up said that it wasn't their store's fault, it was Xbox's. [face_plain] Bastards!!1 Im totally going to play evilly and kill everything i can when i get it just because of this.

24. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I just purchased my copy. I've never played Fable so I'm pretty excited about this.

25. Burning_Hatred

Burning_Hatred Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 30, 2005
    Went to the midnight release at my GameStop last night/this morning, almost froze to death cause I didn't bring a coat (it's cold in Denver around this time of year). Love the game.