main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The failure at the cave

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BJPE1, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJPE1

BJPE1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 31, 2004
    Yeah I know it been brought up countless times I imagine but watching it again got me thinking.

Why is it Luke failed exactly?

Yoda says path to the darkside consists of things like fear, anger and hate.

When Luke sees vader he is the cave he is the first to ignite a saber and strikes down vader with not much effort. My guess is luke ignited the saber out of fear, and struck Vader down out of anger and hate. This would explain why Luke sees himself in the mask. His actions were a path to the darkside?

Am I on the right road here?

2. JediStu2

JediStu2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 1, 2003
    Your ideas make sense to me.

I always thought Yoda told Luke he failed because he disregarded Yoda's advice and took his weapons with him into the cave. Maybe the Vader "vision" was supposed to tell him something important and instead, Luke goes in there and cuts his head off.

3. SON-OF-THE-SITH

SON-OF-THE-SITH Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 27, 2004
    Could've been Yoda , manipulating the force to show Luke his fate if he took the "quick and easy path", Lukes fathers fate being his own.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Watch TESB with audio commentary. Kershner AND Lucas explain it. Best answer you can get ;)

5. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I haven't heard the commentary on that part, but I had always thought it was because the cave was a representation of fear, and what was essentially what Luke fears. Drawing upon his fears, it manifested itself as Darth Vader - what Luke feared the most. Instead of confronting his fears in an appropriate manner, he killed Vader...Admitedly, he discovered something in the process.

I don't know. Am I making any sense here?

6. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004

The main failure was going into the cave with his weapons. He didnt trust Yoda and FEAR made him take his weapons.

That fear lead to luke beheading Vader, which is what the dark side and the emperor wants- for Luke to replace Vader.

So there were failures all over the place....

CLONE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.